Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Reloading Press

markt99

Hey Guys,

After 8 excruciating hours, some time on the phone with Lee Precision, and a trip to the hardware store to buy more lamp chain (The powder chain that came with it lasted about 3 hours), I believe I have my Lee Pro 1000 set up to load 45 ACP with Ranier 230 Gr Plated round nose and 5.2 gr of Bullseye.

The light was too dim to get a good chrony other than 1 (877 fps), but all had consistent "felt" recoil and the GI Milspec function fine. I'll make 10 more in the morning and try to chronograph again tomorrow.

I've only used it one round at a time (25 rounds) and it seems to work fine. There is a lot going on so I'm a little nervous as I've been loading single stage for 8 years. If all goes well for the first 100 rounds or so I'll move into trying full progressive. I'm already more efficient one round at a time with this press.

After the nightmare of setting up 45 ACP I don't plan on switch calibers. I mostly shoot 45 ACP anyway. All the other calibers are still low enough volumes to go on the single stage.

I figured out how to clear the powder in the tube after the hopper is turned off by indexing a spent case through the stages without actually engaging each stage until I get to the powder thrower. Then I move the carrier up to engage the thrower, back down only just enough to clear the die without triggering indexing to the next stage, manually pull autodisk return lever down, then repeat 5-7 times. The result is a case filled almost to the rim with powder that I can dump back in the hopper and a mostly empty powder throwing system.

However, I'm wondering if there is a good way to clear the primers that are already in the primer feed ramp after I'm finished loading. I can't run them out loading as you need the ramp pretty much full for the priming mechanism to work. Should I just stick something thin down their and push them all to the top and let them spill into my hand or something. I try to avoid handling primers directly with my hands as the oils on your hands can cause them to fail. Or should I just leave the ones in the feed ramp there for my next loading session. If so how long is too long to leave them in the press like that.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

update

After an additional 4 hours of struggling with this machine after trying full progressive I sent it back. There are alot of quirks and for now I am sticking with my rock chucker.

I'm looking at the dillon square deal b. does anyone have any opinions on that press? I can't find any negative reviews online.

I size and prime as separate operations and use the 1000 to "supersize", charge, seat, and crimp. Many thousands of 9mm, 38 Sp., and 44 have gone through the LEE 1000. I'll admit it's a little quirky but it has never been beyond usefulness.

I use a Lee Loadmaster for my .45acp. I reload for shooting steel plates. Berry's 185 gr. hollow base round nose with 4.6gr Clays. Works well for me. I leave my primers in the feed ramp, why handle them more than you have to. Also I leave my powder in the hopper too (maybe I shouldn't) but so far it's working for me.

dennis

I love the Dillion guys.... If you want to spend that, knock yourself out. The only thing I don't use on the Lee is the primer feed. I actually like to use a hand primer to set my primers and take one last look at my cases. Twice I have found cracks in cases. (You won't find that in any progressive auto loading system until you hit the range.)
I works just fine.

That said, if you are shooting 1,000 + a month, get the Dillion. For my 300 - 700 each month, cheaper is better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back