'LEAD FREE' Gun Ranges?

AR Hammer

Deaf & Powder Burned...
Two of the local gun ranges (Private Owned Clubs) have opened 'Lead Free' ranges.
Seems Lead Contamination is becoming a problem, particularly indoors.
State and insurance wouldn't permit the ranges unless they were 'Lead Free'...
And since they are VERY close to where I live, and it's not a 'Bad' idea to remove that particular threat from our lives,

Anyone know of a good 'Lead Free' bullet maker?

I've tried a couple that were HORRIBLY expensive with less than stellar results.
They don't seem to be as accurate as the 100 year old copper jacketed lead bullets I'm used to...

Shame though, since I have all the lead smelting, molds, ect. and I recover lead from ranges, tire weights, ect. and make a lot of my own target handgun/muzzle loader ammo...
Guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome...
Where there is a will, I WILL find a way!

Two of the local gun ranges (Private Owned Clubs) have opened 'Lead Free' ranges.
Seems Lead Contamination is becoming a problem, particularly indoors.
State and insurance wouldn't permit the ranges unless they were 'Lead Free'...
And since they are VERY close to where I live, and it's not a 'Bad' idea to remove that particular threat from our lives,

Anyone know of a good 'Lead Free' bullet maker?

I've tried a couple that were HORRIBLY expensive with less than stellar results.
They don't seem to be as accurate as the 100 year old copper jacketed lead bullets I'm used to...

Shame though, since I have all the lead smelting, molds, ect. and I recover lead from ranges, tire weights, ect. and make a lot of my own target handgun/muzzle loader ammo...
Guess I'll have to figure something else out.

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome...
Where there is a will, I WILL find a way!

AR, my local range is the same way, for the same insurance reason :fie:...My range permits lead if FMJ, plated or "copper washed"....have you checked to see if they will permit that?

If not, I feel for you man...that "green ammo" IS expensive

I doesn't really hurt my feelings to switch to lead free, since I load my own practice ammo and don't 'Stockpile',
I rarely have more than about 500 rounds at any given time, and I don't 'Stockpile' components either, so making the transition isn't a big deal...

Right now, it's more of an accuracy issue for me. Haven't found a lead free that will work as well as jacketed lead they spent the last 100 years developing into the accurate bullets we have now...

Just wish I could find a 'Sweet' load for these things, I'm all over the map trying to refine a load with lead frees that shoots as well as the jacketed lead does.
It's like being a rookie again!

The muzzle loader guys are REALLY pitching a fit! Try and find a lead free muzzle loader bullet!

I don't see the range I belong to going "lead free" anytime soon - unless state law says to. Man, that would really suck for me, I have about 8,000 .22LR rounds that are all pretty much all lead!:fie:

I've been seeing the .22 guys going to a 'Nylon' and some sort of heavy metal bullet,
REALLY expensive, even more so than the .17 HMR rounds,
But they aren't complaining too much.

It's the faster bullets for my .223 and .308 that are the biggest problems for me,
I just haven't found a really accurate load for the 'Lead Free' projectiles yet.
It's like starting from scratch again!

One reason I took up the .223 and .308 was because everyone had accurate loads for them, and most of it worked really well,
Now I'm starting over, looking for the 'Right' powder, searching those 1/2 grain moves in powder trying to squeeze out that accuracy again...

About all bullet manufacturers had an accurate load and/or projectile,
And now I'm back in 'Beginner Hell' looking every direction for that 'Sweet Spot' for each bullet and each powder with no starting reference.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back