LCP vs CW9

g30sheepdog

My daughter just turned 21 and is interested in getting her carry permit. I'm looking for feedback on the Ruger LCP and the Kahr CW9. Recoil, reliability, ect. Thanks.

I really like my Ruger 380 LCP. I got a size 2 Blackhawk pocket holster & carry it all the time.
She should test drive whatever you are considering before you purchase.

I have both and usually carry the LCP as it conceals better (with my shape!) The Kahr is a better shooter and of course has the bigger cartridge. The recoil is similar in my opinion so it comes down to which is more comfortable to wear and shoot. I really prefer the CW9.

Have you considered the LC9? I have one and while it does take practice to master it's a great gun. It's allot less recoil than a snubby and very small and easy to carry. I hate to get into a caliber debate but I don't like the .380 round. It doesn't meet the FBI's minimum standards for performance in JHP, it's more expensive than 9x19 which is a larger round, and they can sometimes be hard to find. YMMV......

Do you have a range near by that will let you rent guns? My wife held an LCP at a store and absolutely loved it, then we rented one and we both hated it. She really disliked it and loved my Kahr CM9 which is what I carry.

The LCP (even though I shot it well) has an extremely long trigger. When you expect it to break, you still have another 1/4 inch to go. Once I got used to it though it was OK but still not my cup of tea. It would be for my wife and since she hated it.... Then it's not for her.

Try to rent one of each and test it. Or borrow someones.

I really like my LCP but it's not a pleasant pistol to shoot (no pistols of that size really are). As others have alluded to, the CW9 is an entirely different type of pistol. The LCP is a deep conceal pistol designed mostly for pocket carry. The CW9 is probably twice the overall size/weight and is better for a holster or perhaps a medium/large purse. I would imagine the Kahr is easier to shoot too. My LCP has been flawless (most owners seem to be very happy with it) and Kahr has an excellent reputation as well so in terms of quality they're probably even.

How's she going to carry it? Can she work the slide well enough to rack it?? Those are two important questions you need to ask. Take her to a gun shop and let her see for herself.

I have both and they are both great guns. The LCP is about an inch shorter on both the slide and grip which makes it much lighter and more concealable. With the finger-extension mag I can get two full fingers on it and my pinky grips the bottom. It works well for me but as others have said, the recoil is pretty brisk and snappy in the hand. Can get a little painful after a few mags. The CW9 has a bigger grip and let's me get all fingers on. Felt recoil, even with the bigger 9mm round, is much better. So it's a bit of trade-off of concealability vs recoil. She needs to consider her carry needs and try both before deciding.

Try the LC9, I have both the LCP and the LC9, I like them both. The LCP is far easier to conceal, but is a bit hard on the hand at the range.

Thanks for all the input. She wants me to take her shopping in the next few weeks so she can play with several of them. I guess we will see how that goes. Its been a while since ive been on this site. Life gets busy from time to time I guess. Anybody heard where HR822 is these days? Thanks again. Stay safe and always carry.

I recently chose the CM9 over the PM9 & LC9 - was really a toss up, but the price was right and Kahr supplied an extra 7 round magazine as a bonus. Also, Crimson Trace had their Laserguard on sale at just the right time. This is a great combo and after several hundred rounds and no failures whatsoever, I am glad on the choice. It eats up handloads and several different types of ammo from various manufacturers all shooting to the same area at 10 yds with no problems. I would not hesitate to have my wife or daughters carry it -small, light, reliable & 9MM power.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back