CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Last chance for House Bill 495

rt48

Last June the Ohio House passed House Bill 495 (Link Removed) which removes the need for a competency certificate for a license renewal and also allows Ohio to recognize the license of any state willing to recognize Ohio's.

The bill has languished in the Ohio Senate due to the summer recess and the Fall campaigning season. The Senate has now scheduled eight sessions to finish this legislative season (Link Removed). If HB 495 isn't voted on during one of these sessions, it is dead and the whole process has to start all over again with the new General Assembly in January.

Please contact your Ohio senator and also Senate President Tom Niehaus. Ask them to move this bill to a vote before the Senate ends its business in December.

You can contact Senate President Niehaus and your state senator at the Ohio Senate web site here:

Link Removed

495 would also correct the ridiculous definition of a loaded firearm within a vehicle that now exists within Ohio law.

The bill has passed the House and is currently in hearings by the Judiciary Comittee to be sent to the state, on 12-10-2012 AG Mike Dewine addressed the comittee in support of their approving the bill for a Senate vote. Anyone that is concerned should contact the comittee and urge them to approve the bill for Senate vote.

And the change to the definition of a loaded firearm within a vehicle will only apply to holders of a concealed carry license.

And the change to the definition of a loaded firearm within a vehicle will only apply to holders of a concealed carry license.

The changes apply to both although licensees are given wider latitude as to how loaded magazines are carried.

Using the bill as listed here Link Removed , I have edited it so that the relevant section reads as it will when it takes effect on March 27. (Basically, I removed all the struck through words which are the ones being removed by the bill).

Does that mean you can't conceal carry in a car if you're licensed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does that mean you can't conceal carry in a car if you're licensed?

I'm not sure which part of this thread you are referring to, but yes licensed individuals can conceal their handguns while in a motor vehicle.

The Ohio law page is seriously out of date and should not be relied on.

Email