Kinda Touching

Riverkilt

Second hand story but it touched me. I work for the Navajo Nation and my boss is Navajo. Her son-in-law, also Navajo, spent 6 years in the USMC - much of it in combat. He came home to be recently diagnosed with cancer and he's been commuting between our little town and Flagstaff, Arizona for radiation and chemotherapy treatments. His cancer is at stage four but the oncologist is positive they can beat it and the tumor is already shrinking from the treatment.

Usually his wife drives him so he can relax but last weekend he insisted on driving and wound up doing 85mph across the rez where the speed limit is 65 on the narrow, bumpy rez roads. He was pulled over by the State Highway Patrol - who also patrol the rez roads. In the initial encounter it was why were you going so fast...his response going for chemo...cop back - you wanna get there right? So he and his wife are waiting for a ticket when the cop come back and gives him his license back and says "Early Happy Birthday, and thank you for your service to our country." Easy for the cop to see his birthday was near but no one has any clue how the cop figured out his military service. But...small town living up here....everyone knows everyone. And, it was a present to save the cost of a +20mph over ticket and the resulting insurance increase.

Nice to hear about a nice cop who understands, gets it, and appreciates military service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back