Kimber PRO CDP 2

lamerem

I'm looking into a new carry gun! I am pretty dead set on a 1911 for a few reasons.

1). They are fairly thin as opposed to the double stack polymers
2). They are as American as baseball and apple pie
3). 100 years and they are still here and not ever going to leave
4). Accurate as any other option from what I hear

These amongst many other reasons are why I chose to purchase a 1911. I've heard great things about Kimbers and equally as many bad things, just as any manufacturer. But, the PRO CDP 2 to me is one of the most attractive 1911's I've seen. I like the checkering and the grips, I love the two tone and the fact that it already has the upgraded trigger and hammer not to mention the Carry Melt process is already complete. The weight does not concern me as I carry a full size XD45 service that is well over 30oz loaded.

I'm looking for Kimber owners to share their thoughts and experiences as well as disappointments. I'm especially interested to here from owners of the CDP line of 1911's. the gun runs $1,250 on buds and that's not chump change to me. I know it is not a Les Baer (by the way I live literally minutes from his shop in Le Claire, IA) but it is not a bottom feeder of 1911's either.

Please no trolling and no bashing. I appreciate opinions and such but I really am just interested in talking Kimbers at this point. Thanks!

I carry the Kimber "Custom Target" in mate black finish. I have also owned other Kimbers and have enjoyed all of them. I've just settled on the Custom Target as my fav. IMHO they are comfortable, accurate and look really sweet. Again in my opinion they are great 1911 and worht the money.

LAMEREM; i too love my kimbers. carried an original ultra carry for 12 years as my edc, thousands of rounds through her never a single failure. then tried a kimpro, 4 in. with crimson trace for a year, passed that onto my son for his first 1911. went back to my ultra carry till i was able to locate a new ultra carry ii + cdp. love the looks, melt treatment, 3 in. barrel, & the full length grip. have put approx 1000 rnds through her with zero failures. finally sold my ultra carry last month, for the same price i originally paid for it. one word of advise i will give you is to only use wilson combat magazines, this is the only brand i use for my 1911's, and believe they are the main reason for zero failures in all these years. what more can ya say than that. good luck in your choice, carry safe, and watch your 6, larry. ps; merry christmas

Thanks Larry! Your actually not the first to mention Wilson Combat for mags. Sounds like a definite must have.

Someone else mentioned that ill hate the stainless slide and that it gives off your position in a bad situation. I carry a stainless slide now and I love it. Besides ideally ill be getting the drop on the BG but regardless I don't think it will truly matter!

lamerem, living here in florida and carrying 24/7, the stainless slide is a must have, due to corrosion resistance. the other item i now swear by is a product made by the boeing aircraft company for corrosion protection and dry lube, that is sold in west marine stores. i was using c l p, but found the boeing stuff holds up much longer, and is approx the same price. j m h o, btw, the wilson mags are pricey, but have a lifetime warranty, and i have never had 1 fail, since i bought my first one in 1999. larry

I have the CDP II and LOVE it!!! Bought this past summer to replace a full-size 9mm as CCW. After initial break-in, Ive have NO problems. Only prob. were 2 FTF, on 1st 2 mags right out of box......I paid $1000-----not cheap to be sure, but reliability and ease of carry is well worth it, to me....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back