KelTec P3AT, Ruger LCP, or Taurus TCP

wolf_fire

For those of you who have followed some of my threads, you know that sadly I feel the need to give up my Sig P238 as a BUG. I was at the range recently and do to much practice with my Glock, when I went to shoot my P238 it didn't go bang since I neglected to click off the safety. This concerned me a great deal. I do not feel like changing my muscle memory at this stage of the game, so I'm trying to limit my choices for a new BUG. My choices are either the Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, or Taurus TCP 738.

Only if you have fired two or more of these firearms, could you please let me know what you have thought of them. I truly do not wish this thread to be about the one person who has experience with only one of these firearms and wants to tell the world how great it is. I'm fully aware that all three of these have had some great reviews, otherwise I would not be looking at them. What I would like to know is, for the person who has physically fired at least two of them, what were your thoughts, complaints, pros, cons, experiences, etc. with them. Thanks so much for you input.

Have range tested the LCP and the TCP. Only dry fired the P3AT.

The TCP grip is just a smidgen longer, which made it more comfortable and better recoil control. (But make no mistake, all will pack quite a punch due to their weight). It also seemed to have the most comfortable shape for me overall.
TCP had the best trigger. It was smooth, light (for a DOA), and reasonable pull length. Both the LCP and the P3AT have a very long pull and felt a little gritty. LCP had heaviest pull.
Fit and finish seem better on the TCP and the LCP.
I like that the TCP locked back on the last round. My personal preference.
TCP is available with stainless slide (natural or black). Nice for those of us who live in a very humid environment and use it as a carry.

P.S. Wife went through this process also range testing my TCP against a friends LCP and dry firing others to find what was best for her. We now own two of them.

Thanks BigCarlover... this is the type of report I'm looking for. I've held them all, but haven't shot them. I agree the TCP is more comfortable (I also have large hands).

Shot all three, and own two of them. I have two LCP's and one Kel-tec. I bought the Kel-tec about ten years ago or more. I bought the Ruger LCP (bought two long story) when they came out. The Taurus TCP was owned by a friend. As listed above the TCP was a good shooter and fit my hand better, but was told not to buy as he did not think it was reliable. he called it hus jam o matic. The Ruger and Kel-Tec is almost the same gun. the Ruger is more refined. I like the Ruger better due to the feel of the gun. After 50 rounds my hand is not sore with the Ruger. My Kel-Tec is now a safe queen, haven't fired it in years.

I've shot the P238 and the LCP. The Sig is by far the most pleasurable to shoot--more comfortable in the hand, WAY better sights--but I chose to buy the LCP for EDC. The deciding factor for me was the manual safety, but for a little different reason. I hate the idea of cocked and locked. (No lectures, please. I get it, but I just don't like it.) I prefer pocket carry over other options for many reasons, so the light weight of the LCP played a big role, as did the roundness of the crap*y sights. If the P238 were double-action on the first round, I'd be all over it.

As listed above the TCP was a good shooter and fit my hand better, but was told not to buy as he did not think it was reliable. he called it hus jam o matic.

Do you know what series his gun is? Has he tried sending it back?

A few of the A series (and possibly early B series) did have problems when they came out. Mine is a late B series, and the wife's is a C series. They've run great through 100s (almost 1000 for mine) of rounds with at least 5 different ammo brands/types.

Edit: Here's a good link. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/102890-so-who-has-never-had-any-problems-their-738-a.html

My wife has a P3AT and I have a TCP. Reasons I like the TCP better is slightly longer grip, slide that locks back, overall feel of better quality. I carry it rarely but we fire both monthly. Both have been reliable. I do know people who have had TCPs that have been problematic. Mine has been flawless for two years.

Another data point from my side. I don't own any Kel-Tecs, but the TCP is my only Taurus brand, and I have 3 different Rugers (just not a LCP). And besides those I have two other brands. So I'm not a brand snob.

In addition to my post above. I also own a Sig P-238. It has become my favorite, and my daily carry piece. This I carry in a Remora clipless holster. The ruger LPC is my second. I carry the Ruger in my front pocket for quick runs to the store. Of the three requested pistols to rate I like the Ruger the best. If you ad the Sig to the list it is my number one favorite. A real pleasure to shoot and easy to conceal with the extended magazine.

I also subscribe to the idea of carrying a simple striker-fired (or DAO) pistol when most of my shooting is with a full size striker-fired or DAO pistol. Alternatively, carrying a 1911-style pistol when I'm shooting mostly 1911's.

My solution is the Kahr P380 & Sig P238. Both have far better sights than the usual 380's and as a result are easier to shoot well. Also, both handle the more powerful 380 self defense ammo, such as Buffalo Bore +P with ease.

being a Glock Lover I went thru the same process - and (for me) the perfect choice was the LCP.

I have both my carry Glock 26 and my back up Ruger LCP outfitted with the CT lasers....so every detail about handling them is identical.

In fact....I was cleaning them yesterday - after shooting both - and it made me smile as I went from one to another....really about the same everything...in fact if I get out the Glock 17....strip it...it really looks like small/medium/large of the same idea. LOL.

I have a Keltec Sub2k in 9mm, it's a good gun...but the LCP just felt more substantial in hand. (if that's even possible with such a small and light thing!)

Sorry, I don't get back here often - new job -this thread showed up in an email I got and I wanted to add my 2 cents.
For me...I love having them both with me every day.

being a Glock Lover I went thru the same process - and (for me) the perfect choice was the LCP.

I have both my carry Glock 26 and my back up Ruger LCP outfitted with the CT lasers....so every detail about handling them is identical.

In fact....I was cleaning them yesterday - after shooting both - and it made me smile as I went from one to another....really about the same everything...in fact if I get out the Glock 17....strip it...it really looks like small/medium/large of the same idea. LOL.

I have a Keltec Sub2k in 9mm, it's a good gun...but the LCP just felt more substantial in hand. (if that's even possible with such a small and light thing!)

Sorry, I don't get back here often - new job -this thread showed up in an email I got and I wanted to add my 2 cents.
For me...I love having them both with me every day.

Thanks for your comment... it was helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back