Kel Tec P3AT or S&W Sigma SD40 Need Help Deciding...

ChrisMav88

I am looking for a new concealed carry gun. I typically carry IWB but would like to have the option of pocket carry for more discrete situations. I can purchase a Kel Tec P3AT .380 For $250 with two magazines, a pocket holster and a wallet holster. This would work for pocket carry. My other option is a Smith and Wesson SD40 .40 with two magazines. My issue would be concealing it since the firearm is so large. I can get the S&W for $300. What is your opinion on both firearms?

I don't know about the S&W. I have the P3AT and carry it several times a week. It has a snappy recoil, so you need to practice to get the feel. I have had zero problems with the KelTec. I also have the Sig P238 which is a tremendous gun. A little pricey but definitely worth it.

I carry a KT-3AT a lot. Your two choices are miles apart! I carry the 3AT because it's small, discrete, and I barely know I have it. An IWB 40 is totally different. Maybe you should get both for different carry scenarios.

PS, I carry it in my left front pocket. I am right handed but practice weak hand shooting. I can slip it into my right hand pretty easily. Only you can decide what is the best for you.

If you're looking at something small like the Kel-Tec, have you looked into the Taurus TCP? Very good reviews of that pistol. I have the SD40VE, I love it and it is concealable, it it a full size pistol too.

Link Removed

L8R,
Matt

Before you decide which one to buy, recommend you visit a dealer/range in your area that has one of each of these that you can fire before you buy. Then let that experience assist you in buying the right one for yourself. Even in my area there's ranges that offer date night so married individuals can go to the (indoor) range to shoot. I have a good friend and his wife who goes to one in Spokane monthly.

Off topic... the SD40 is not a SIGMA designation. The SIGMAS are SW9 or SW40. SD is the upgrade and I think the SW is no longer being made.
I don't know anything about the Kel.. but you cant go wrong with the S&W. I would go with the SD40.
BTW, I have an SW9. I like it well enough. 1500 or so rounds and only 1 FTE @ #3. Took it home and gave it a proper cleaning and have no issues.

I carry the SD40 every day and I mist say I love it. I carry in a Blackhawk paddle holster. For the money...can't beat it. Also I added a Hogue Handal rubber grip and that makes it feel much better in the hand!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using USA Carry mobile app

I have both the S & W SD9VE (exactly the same as the 40 except for the caliber and the same size and weight of a Glock 19) and the Taurus TCP 738. Both are excellent and have a lifetime warranty (original owner on the S & W and everyone with the Taurus). If I had to choose one, I would choose the S & W because it is more potent.

I also have the SD40VE. It is an excellent pistol for quite a low price. I spent some time last week shooting my pistol along side the Glock 19. There were a couple things that I liked about the Glock more than mine. First was the sights. I loved the Glock white outline rear/dot front. Mine just has the three dot set. The Glock sights were definitely easier for my eyes to get on target quicker.

And second was the actual trigger. The Glock trigger is wider than my SD40, so it was more comfortable shooting over an extended period. The trigger pull one the Glock was better than mine, but to me it wasn't huge difference. also I preferred the feel of the grip of my SD over the Glock. The Glock has come a long way in feel since they first came out, but S&W got the SD series right with ergonomics of the grip.

L8R,
Matt

I should also state that the SD40VE is very carryable. I have a nice hybrid IWB from Raw Dog Tacticl that makes my pistol very concealable. But it's still a full size pistol with a 4" barrel and 14 round magazine, so there is some weight hanging there. Definitely not a pistol to just slip inside your pocket.

Link Removed

L8R,
Matt

The only complaint I have with my sd40 is the long trigger pull and virtually non existant reset....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using USA Carry mobile app

It does have that for sure. But if you've shot revolvers very much, it's very similar. It's a safety feature too. You're all but guaranteed of not having a ND because of the trigger pull. I know my SD40VE will not fire unless my finger is on the trigger pulling it back. I've looked into the Galloway and Apex spring kits, but I'm leaving the trigger pull weight stock.

L8R,
Matt

I also have the SD40VE. It is an excellent pistol for quite a low price. I spent some time last week shooting my pistol along side the Glock 19. There were a couple things that I liked about the Glock more than mine. First was the sights. I loved the Glock white outline rear/dot front. Mine just has the three dot set. The Glock sights were definitely easier for my eyes to get on target quicker.

And second was the actual trigger. The Glock trigger is wider than my SD40, so it was more comfortable shooting over an extended period. The trigger pull one the Glock was better than mine, but to me it wasn't huge difference. also I preferred the feel of the grip of my SD over the Glock. The Glock has come a long way in feel since they first came out, but S&W got the SD series right with ergonomics of the grip.

L8R,
Matt

Note that the standard sights and trigger are the most often upgraded parts of a Glock. The stock ball-in-tray sights are often replaced with three-dot sights (e.g. Ameriglo ProGlo Tritium sights with a square orange front as recommended by Rob Pincus) or pole-and-dot (lollipop) sights (i.e. XS Big Dot Tritium sights as recommended by James Yeager). The Ghost Evo Elite is probably the best aftermarket trigger connector for Glocks.

Also note that a common upgrade for the compact and sub-compact Glocks (e.g. 19 and 26) is to put the full-size Glock (e.g. 17) trigger bar in it. The compact and sub-compact Glocks have a serrated trigger front surface, while the full-size Glocks have a smooth trigger front surface. This low-cost upgrade gets you the smooth trigger front for a compact or sub-compact Glock.

I know a lot of people like the three dot sight setup. But for my eyes, I prefer the white outlined rear instead. I was looking into the fiber optic sights too, but it would still be a three dot. So a little 600 grit paper took care of the dots on the rear for me. Next I'll paint the white outline on it. But for now I'm kind of liking the plain black rear sight.

L8R,
Matt

I traded my keltec for a ruger lcp,(gift) but for the most part identical in size and function. I also have a full size Glock, same size as the S&W. I carry the smaller one 20 times more because it is so much easier to carry.I only go bigger if I know I am going into a highr risk area. The easier it is to carry, the more likely you'll carry it. My vote is the keltec with quality ammo. Better than a 40 cal at home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using USA Carry mobile app

I know a lot of people like the three dot sight setup. But for my eyes, I prefer the white outlined rear instead. I was looking into the fiber optic sights too, but it would still be a three dot. So a little 600 grit paper took care of the dots on the rear for me. Next I'll paint the white outline on it. But for now I'm kind of liking the plain black rear sight.

L8R,
Matt

What ever works best. Take a look at the XS Big Dot Tritium sights. I have pretty severe astigmatism and had always issues with three-dot sights.

I saw that setup too. Looks kind of interesting. I'm gonna see how the sights work for me for now and go from there. Who knows? Get my eye exam in a couple weeks and I know that I'm overdue for bifocals. Then after I get used to my new glasses, I'll start seriously researching new sights. Maybe I'll end back up with the three dot set then...

L8R,
Matt

I like the little Kel Tec guns. I have a Kel Tec P-32 that I carry in a pocket everywhere. It has shot flawlessly with fmj and hp's but I only carry fmj. Pocket carry is easy to do. I think a Ruger SR9c is better to carry than the S&W. Even the full size SR9 would be better.
:victory:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back