Keeping it real

Hugh Jorgan

I am (essentially) a newbie gun enthusiast. I have had a fascination with firearms ever since playing cowboys and indians with my friends as a child (yes, I'm a baby-boomer), and a tour in the USMC solidified this for me.. So after getting divorced from a woman who forbid guns in the house, I am free to pursue my passion...and I HAVE.

I'm trying to learn all I can about firearms and shooting, purchasing several books and magazines on the subject. In one of the recent magazines I purchased "American Handgunner Annual 2014 Special Edition" I came across an article entitled "Training Pipeline" by E.J. Owens. Under one of the photos, a caption reads "Getting off the square range and training how REAL fights happen - are you ready?"

WHAT "REAL FIGHTS"??

I watch the news (local and national) on a nightly basis and, aside from the gang-monkeys shooting each other, I dont hear ANYTHING about civilian gunfights on the streets!! Yes, I know there is the occasional postal worker going, well, "postal"...but you cant legally carry a gun in a government building, so (trained or not) whose gonna stop em?

So my question to this forum is, WHY is there the mentality in gun enthusiasts that feel $300 - $1200 for a class on "Combat Focused Shooting" is necessary?? I mean, seriously, how many people in this forum (excluding military and law enforcement) can HONESTLY say that they've been in ANY gunfight, let alone one that required a two-day course, wearing tactical vests and rolling around in the dirt, to survive from. It just seems to me like these courses are a way for opportunistic predators to cash in on residual fear caused by incidents like Columbine and Virginia Tech...AGAIN at institutions where you're NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY A GUN!!

I realize there are always gonna be your "prepper" nuts and folks that think a zombie attack is a genuine possibility...but I'm truly curious if I'm the minority on thinking combat training for civilians is ridiculous. I mean, I met a guy at the range who purchased a $7000 H&K G28 and also owns several AR-15's...and he's never hunted in his life!! When I asked him why he felt the need for such armament, his answer was "You never know!" WHAT?? Did we move to Iraq while I wasn't looking??

I dont understand this...am I the only one??

Eharmoney just called. Your match, Phil McKracken wants to chat. Run along now. Thanks for playing.
Game over.

Seriously, get another profile name. If you're over 12, and apparently you are, you can come up with a better one.

Yeah... why would anyone want to be trained, competent and prepared for a rare event? Why would anyone want to train, to do something that they enjoy, that might also save their or their family's lives?

Why do people spend money to buy cars that can go over the posted speed limit?

And why the hell do you care what others decide to do?

The Trolls are getting heavy this time of year. Seem to be getting more inane the closer we get to November!

Um... cause it's fun.

Plus, you never know what skills you're going to need until you need them. It's just more tools in the toolbox for you to draw on. I plan on taking as many courses as I can afford... Already took a 2-day defensive handgun course and learned lots of interesting things. Like being able to shoot while moving, I don't need my sights to be right on target, one-handed shooting, how to clear a building (like my house if something goes bump in the night) and shoot from cover. Think I might need those? Or is the bad guy going to resemble a paper target and kindly hold still while I shoot him?

You don't have a gun because you're likely to be attacked. You don't have a fire extinguisher because you expect your house to catch on fire. If you're not gonna train because the scenario you're training for is unlikely, why carry at all? (NOT SAYING YOU MUST TRAIN OR TAKE CLASSES IN ORDER TO CARRY!!) Any situation where you need a firearm is very unlikely, depending on where you live. You take classes and learn new skills because if you do need them, you want to have them. And it's awesome. You meet cool people, maybe shoot some new guns, and have a ton of fun.

Also, I lived under a rock for many years. Read books and rode horses instead of doing whatever kids were doing at the time. Who/what is Hugh Jorgan and why is it supposed to be funny?

Seriously folks, you aren't going to answer her question so I get the dubious honor? Ok take the name and eliminate the second "H" and replace it with an "e". Then eliminate the "J" and you see someone who calls himself a big Richard.

I'd choose a different screen name then you can get a fresh start. Note, there are ladies present in this forum.

Seriously folks, you aren't going to answer her question so I get the dubious honor? Ok take the name and eliminate the second "H" and replace it with an "e". Then eliminate the "J" and you see someone who calls himself a big Richard.

I'd choose a different screen name then you can get a fresh start. Note, there are ladies present in this forum.

Got it. Thanks! Must have already been old before I got around to hearing it... Plus, not nearly creative enough. I'm used to a higher standard of off-color jokes. I was in the Navy, after all. It's an art form... or was, until they started going all PC.

The OP a few weeks ago asked for people to "vote" on which of a small number of handguns he should get. Now, he indicts others' gun preferences and underlying reasons for buying what they do.

How do you even talk on anything near the same level with somebody like that?

The OP a few weeks ago asked for people to "vote" on which of a small number of handguns he should get. Now, he indicts others' gun preferences and underlying reasons for buying what they do.

How do you even talk on anything near the same level with somebody like that?

The only reason I answer someone like that is in case some other new person goes through the forum and and wonders if he has a point. So I change my audience and address some future person with an honest question.

Seriously, get another profile name. If you're over 12, and apparently you are, you can come up with a better one.

My name is Hugh Jensen...Hugh Jorgan was a running joke with my buddies back in the day, and it stuck as my nickname. It was the screenname I used on the very first forum I ever joined (back in the late 1990's) and on EVERY forum since...unless some wiseass beat me to it.

I like it, it was mine FIRST and I'm keeping it.

WOW...that was a STRETCH, even for your weak-minded reasoning. First off, the vote was what YOU would choose...and it was just out of curiosity. I NEVER, anywhere in my post, asked anyone to choose MY weapon for me. I asked (in the appropriate forum) about the pros and cons of a select group of sub-compact weapons...a very PRACTICAL question. What's practical about owning FOUR high-powered rifles with high-grade optics to plink tin cans off a tree stump. Oh wait...its to train and prepare for the Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, post-apocalyptic future where he fends off hordes of sub-humans wanting to steal his stash of canned Spam and bottled water.

Admitting that I dont understand that mentality is not an "indictment"...simply an observation. And the fact that, prior to this, I asked an opinion on a practical choice for concealed carry does NOT make me a hypocrite....but you're most definitely still a d!ck.

My name is Hugh Jensen...Hugh Jorgan was a running joke with my buddies back in the day, and it stuck as my nickname. It was the screenname I used on the very first forum I ever joined (back in the late 1990's) and on EVERY forum since...unless some wiseass beat me to it.

I like it, it was mine FIRST and I'm keeping it.

Interesting last time he used a different last name

My name is Hugh Gentry. "Hugh Jorgan" (although "sophomoric") was a running joke within my circle of friends back in the day, so it became my screen name on the very first online forum I joined back in the 1990's (and every forum since...unless someone beat me to it).

Interesting last time he used a different last name

It is hard for liberal troll plants to keep their lies straight.....

I will admit though that his post (#14 this thread) is a well reasoned out response for even the best of trolls..... (even with the wrong name)

OK..fine. Its Jankowski (I also took **** growing up for being a polack).

I don't like using my real last name on the internet, but there you have it....happy?? If ANY of you are in the DFW-area I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you my driver's license.

OK..fine. Its Jankowski (I also took **** growing up for being a polack).

I don't like using my real last name on the internet, but there you have it....happy?? If ANY of you are in the DFW-area I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you my driver's license.

I'm Harry Johnson, but my friends call me
BigJohnson.gif
, glad to meet you! (not really)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back