Kahr PM9 vs. Kahr PM40

m.ritz

Ok, so I have to imagine that this is a question that's been asked on this site several times before, but is there anyone out there anyone out there that has shot both the Kahr PM9 and the Kahr PM40? The reason I'm asking is because I've owned a PM9 before and loved it. I sold it to buy a Glock, which I do not regret because I love my Glock, then I picked up a Kahr P380 for when I need to conceal more deeply. The problem is that I used to be permitted to carry at work, which made carrying my Glock on a daily basis easy. Our company got bought out by a multi-billion dollar corporation, so I'm no longer allowed to carry there. Since that happened, I find myself carrying my Glock significantly less. I don't want to get rid of it to switch back to a PM9 because I don't believe one should ever get rid of a Glock. They're too awesome. I do, however, want something more powerful than a .380 that I can just throw in the pocket and lock in the car when I get to work. The P380 is great for when you're wearing dress clothes or something, but I never intended it to be my daily carry, which it's unfortunately become. I want to pick up another Kahr for that daily, convenient carry. Based on my experience with my PM9, I know I would do well with that. Since buying a Glock 23 though, I've really grown fond of the .40S&W cartridge, and I would really like to carry the most knock down power that I can. My concern is that the PM40, being as small as it is for that cartridge, would be difficult to keep on target for follow up shots. I don't mind feeling recoil at all, but I do want to feel confident that I can control it and shoot it well. If I could not, then I'd rather just go back to the PM9. I noticed that between the Glock 19 and G23, there isn't much of a difference. There is a difference, but I found it to be so slight that it was worth bumping up to the bigger caliber because I shot it just as well. Is this the case for the Kahr's as well? If the PM40 shoots only slightly more jumpy than the PM9, then I'd consider it worth it. If it's all over the place though, then I'm thinking it's not best for me. Any input from those who've shot both would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a lengthy explanation, but I wanted to give all the details of my circumstances leading up to my decision so that I can get the most informed answers.

Thank you!

The Kahr P380 is awesome. Hmm did I use the word awesome. Clearly deteriorating here. I mean it is a very,very well made gun. All steel.
Why worry about the follow up shots. I am sure you could handle the .40 but make it easier on yourself and go with the 9.
The gun I am interested in is the Kahr MK9. All steel. The MK .40 should be easier to handle then PM.40 and the MK9 easier yet.
All great guns but if you really want the .40 check out the MK.40. It's a bit heavier and more expensive. BTW the Kahr I want is the MK9 elite w/ night sights.

As I was thinking more about it yesterday, I thought along the lines of what you were saying, why worry about follow up shots? Except for my reason for thinking that was that with the .40 I'd be less likely to need a follow up shot than I would with the 9. Of course I've never shot anyone, and hope to not ever have to, so I can't say that from experience. That's just an assumption.

As I was thinking more about it yesterday, I thought along the lines of what you were saying, why worry about follow up shots? Except for my reason for thinking that was that with the .40 I'd be less likely to need a follow up shot than I would with the 9. Of course I've never shot anyone, and hope to not ever have to, so I can't say that from experience. That's just an assumption.

How about this? Would you rather have two 9mm in your target or one .40?
Don't get me wrong, I like the .40 but in a smaller gun going by your reasoning I had thought the 9 might be way to go. Please check out the MK9 or .40.

Yes, that is understandable. I did take a look at the MK9 and also the MK40. I would imagine the extra weight would help taim the recoil a bit. I didn't personally think the PM9 needed much taming though, but I'm guessing the .40 would. That's certainly an option. Thank you!

I used to have a PM40. I shot it very well, it was no more difficult to shoot well than my CW40.

As a side note even though the recoil of the .40 is sharp in such a small pistol. it is easily controllable. And the 180gr loads recoil less than the hot 135-155gr loads.

That is good to hear. I don't mind feeling the recoil at all, especially on a personal defense pistol, so long as I can control it. With Kahr's low bore axis, like Glock's, I don't imagine it'd be a problem. Especially with plenty of practice. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

I'm sure you will get 100 different answers, but my personal experience with the PM9 & PM40 I prefer the PM9 better. Easier to control for me. I'm not recoil sensitive & have been shooting over 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured that would be the case for most people, but I have also been made aware of the option of magna porting, which would help tame the recoil of the .40 and make it more PM9-LIKE without really sacrificing much as far as muzzle velocity goes. I'm thinking if I go with the PM40 and find it to be too difficult to control I can just go that route.

I've had both and still have a PM-9. The 9 is cheaper to shoot and so it will probably be shot more. There is a video on a Kahr forum showing the various Kahr pistols in recoil. The .40 has much more recoil and far more muzzle rise. If you check on a Kahr forum I believe you will find the vast majority prefer the 9.

Thank you for the feedback! I have been leaning heavily towards the 9 lately. Then Glock announced their new G43, so I actually have 1 of those on order now. I'm stoked!

Why not try xds in 9 or 45 I prefer the 45 I shoot better with it I'm very proud of it

Sent from my LGLS740 using USA Carry mobile app

Kahrs are significantly smaller than the xds. There's no way I could pocket carry an xds, but a Kahr pm9 I can pocket all day long in most pants.

Kahrs are significantly smaller than the xds. There's no way I could pocket carry an xds, but a Kahr pm9 I can pocket all day long in most pants.

What pants are we wearing very tight or regular pants?

Regular. The kind that don't fit a tablet in the pocket either.

I pocket carry a XDS 3.3 45 in front jeans pocket (In a leather holster) and another holster in my back pocket with a Kahr CW380. Now I don't carry anything else with either gun. I used to carry a NAA .22 Mag as backup, and still do some, but it was employing a single action vs. a semi auto. Ballistics wise, I was happy with the .22 Mag, just not as fast to shoot when I might need speed.

I think you will like the G43, I also have a 42 and it works, it is noticeably bigger than the CW380

I actually have a deposit on a G43 and got the call that it's in!

Regular pants with multiple pocket not a hip hop bs"

I apologize, I wasn't sure if you were being insulting with the "tight pants" comment or not. After rereading, I see that maybe that wasn't your intent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back