I've been lurking and learning!

Legacy

What a great website! Although I have had my .38 wheel gun for years, I just got my CCW last year. I had a training class a few months ago where I got to borrow a Ruger SR9C and a Glock 26. I did ok with the Glock but was more comfortable and more accurate with the Ruger. (plus I like the idea of being able to choose between magazine capacity and it was much more comfortable to shoot than my .38) I was told on another site not to purchase anything until I try the S&W M&P9C. Something about "better ergonomic fit than the Glock and more reliable than the Ruger"? :pleasantry:
I haven't found an M&P9C locally for rent or to borrow yet.

Has anyone tried both? What did you find similar or different about them? Is it worth driving further to try the S&W? I sure liked the Ruger but must admit those are the only two semiautos I have ever fired. (and I liked it! :biggrin:) They are easier for me to conceal as my .38 has an exposed hammer and a 3" barrel...it will become a backup house weapon for me.

Thanks for any advice!
Legacy

Welcome to the site! Allot of good posters/info here. As to the m&p compact i have not tried it. But i have the full size (4 1/4) barrel m&p .357 sig and its a great gun. I have shot the glock 19 and the m&p is allot more comfortable to shot and fits my hand better, with the ability to change different size of grips! Give one a try if you get the chance, you mught like it beetter than the glock!

Hi there,

I alternate between a Smith and Wesson M&P 45 (a bit larger than the 9mm or .40, with 4.25 inch barrel) and a Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel.

The big deal about the M&P series is that it has 3 sizes of interchangeable backstraps for the grip. Easy to change out, and you pick which one feels good in your hand. I liked it a lot better in my hand than any Glock. (But your Glock folks are pretty hardcore loyal and will argue with me til they turn blue in the face).

In my humble opinion, both pieces conceal nicely with a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB holster, tucked into your waistband at about 3 o'clock position give or take. For me, the Ruger likes to ride a little forward of the 3 o'clock belt loop, whereas the M&P likes to ride a little behind it. I'm 5'9 and about 210 lb. (No fat jokes please.)

The M&P compacts are a little smaller than the full size - but ONLY a little. I think the magazines are interchangeable between the two, but I'd personally prefer the larger pistol if I'm carrying hi cap magazines, just so you don't have the magazine sticking so far out of the butt.

I wish I could give you an opinion on how they fire - but alas I bought my M&P used, and the previous owner had screwed up the trigger mechanism. It's over in Springfield Mass with the experts as we speak. Reviews were good, though, for all the M&P line. Most experts familiar with both guns say that the M&P IS comparable with the Glock in accuracy and reliability. (But again, the Glock crowd will rabidly deny this, despite any and all evidence supporting this conclusion.) It's ABSOLUTELY worth the drive to find out. This will be a piece of hardware that's near and dear to your heart for a long time, and that could save your life one day. Spend the few gallons of gas to figure out which piece you're more happy with.

G50AE:209656 said:
I am not a big fan of Sith and Wesson firearms, opt for the Glock instead. Also note that 357SIG ammo is, in general, more expensive than 40S&W and epecially more so than 9mm ammo.

I get my .357 sig ammo at cheaper than dirt for $19.04 + tax. So its not that much expensive to shoot. For self defense ammo I use ww ranger t. I get those online for $27.00 a box.

I am not a big fan of Sith and Wesson firearms, opt for the Glock instead. Also note that 357SIG ammo is, in general, more expensive than 40S&W and epecially more so than 9mm ammo.

I'm not a big fan of Sith and Wesson either. Especially after all those blasters they supplied to the Galactic Empire. :laugh:

Thank you John, Phillip and G50AE, for the welcome and your responses. Looks like I will be driving out to rent an M&P (on Phillip's recommendation, I will probably try both if they conceal well for me.) before I make my final decision. Yes, I know all about the Glock fans but then everyone has their favorite! To me, I don't care what the brand is as long as it's reliable, concealable and comfortable to shoot. (hmmmm....alot of "ables" there...) I did try that Glock and found that it didn't "point" for me as naturally as the Ruger.
Yep, the ammo prices do matter! The +P .38 have gone up at my local supplier leaving the 9mm much cheaper to fire at the range. Get to practice more if I get a 9mm! :wink:

"I'm not a big fan of Sith and Wesson either. Especially after all those blasters they supplied to the Galactic Empire." quote per Phillip. Too funny! Maybe the Sith are going to help the supply line for operation "Fast and Furious". :biggrin: Then again...it's possible that the government IS the Sith! :fie:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back