Issues to look out for in progressive loaders.

NotTwoShure

While loading a batch of .40 S & W’s in the Dillon 550 I noticed an unusually high level of powder at the seating stage. I removed the round prior to bullet seating and emptied the contents. Crushed walnut shell was found inside the bottom of the case. It appears that during the polishing of the brass in a vibrator cleaner a clump of the Dillon Rapid Polish did not evenly or entirely dispersed. An issue I had not notice in over 20 years of loading. Prior to the 550 progressive I used the RCBS single stage and that would not have happened or not as easily. Just an issue we should be aware of. At a rate of 400 rounds an hour ( 100 in fifteen minutes, due to primer tube refill) my prep time is going to be increased so this is not an issue. The 550 is rated at 500 an hour but I have yet to comfortably reach this level.

I do not use the Dillon rapid polish. I do have a Dillon 550 and an RCBS single stage that I use for my 30/06 rounds. I have had a problems with the Polish I use if I put it into the Media incorrectly. I find loading into the media in drops I have less problem with it collecting inside the shells. I put the cases in first, then the media, and last drop in the polish on top. I always inspect the cases after polishing and wipe them down before I use the case lube. (yes I use a little case lube with the carbide dies also). I can put out close to 300 to 350 per hour with the Dillon, also check the powder loads every 10 to 15 rounds.

This is not a progressive issue, but an operator issue.
I gave up on walnut or other nut media decades ago simply because of the dust issue. 20/40 corn without any additives is still all you need.
Biggest progressive press issue is: can the operator easily inspect the powder charge in the case prior to bullet seating. So far, the Hornady is the best for direct visual inspection, as station 4 is under the operator's nose/eye. For other presses, best options are RCBS Lock-Out die and the Dillon powder check die (be sure buzzer works). A mirror/camera mounted on press would also work, if the operator checked every load.
Next issue with all progressive presses is the primer feed/seat system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back