Is there a freeze on permits in Oneida County?

nybuckboy

Is there a freeze on permits in Oneida County? I heard this today at Gander. I know they are busier than a cat with 1 front leg trying to bury a turd... so maybe.

I wouldn't know but why not? NY has become as BAD as NYC and NJ that a ad hoc ban on new permits wouldn't shock me

It could be that like most of the counties, they're just getting swamped with applications, and don't have the manpower to get through them all at normal speed. The permit clerk here in Rensselaer county had a stack 2 feet high on her desk yesterday morning, and that doesn't even take the opt out forms into account. A lot of people, me included, don't want some idiot reporter filing a freedom of information act request and publishing my address.

It may depend upon how pro gun Oneida County is... My permit in Schuyler County only took 5 weeks. The county clerk has been very diligent to process her share of the paperwork. Then the Judge wasted no time in signing it. When I received my permit, the clerk included the opt out form asking me to sign and return. She told me that she wouldn't switch to the new style plastic permits until people had a chance to opt out so as to not build a data base.

It could be that like most of the counties, they're just getting swamped with applications, and don't have the manpower to get through them all at normal speed. The permit clerk here in Rensselaer county had a stack 2 feet high on her desk yesterday morning, and that doesn't even take the opt out forms into account. A lot of people, me included, don't want some idiot reporter filing a freedom of information act request and publishing my address.

A friend and I were visiting a clerk from the Onieda County Pistol Office about a week ago. He said they are swamped with applications and they have no guidance from the state on the new law. They are so far behind that they are working on last summer's applications. and they have hired a part time clerk just to handle the opt out forms. He didn't mention any kind of freeze. I think it's like ammunition. The demand is exceeding supply. So there may be a de facto freeze but it is not intentional as of last week, anyway.

Here in Erie County, I was at the permit office last Friday and there was more people there than I've ever seen. My girlfriend and I waited an hour and a half to pickup her permit, but one of the workers was saying that there are so many people there everyday they have no time to work on new permits.

To their credit, Dan or his clerk will answer the phone every time so call them if you need an answer.

Is there a freeze on permits in Oneida County? I heard this today at Gander. I know they are busier than a cat with 1 front leg trying to bury a turd... so maybe.

NO. But they are VERY busy and the opt out form has piled tons of extra work on them. They have a temp working on the opt outs alone, plus an additional clerk added. But they have so many applications that as of a 2 or 3 weeks ago they were just getting to last summer's applications. They are swamped with work.

Obama and Cuomo have done more for gun manufacturers than anyone else in history!

I wouldn't know but why not? NY has become as BAD as NYC and NJ that a ad hoc ban on new permits wouldn't shock me
Now, now... NYS is nowhere near as bad as NYC or NJ. These localities don't allow the carry of a concealed weapon without extreme and extenuating circumstances. The only thing that changed for CCW holders in NYS' SAFE Act is that permits will be renewed and it is a ticket to hold more than seven (but less than 10) rounds in a mag. While other things like ammo restrictions on sales are also in there it has long been illegal to sell pistol ammo to someone without a license. Few stores ever followed it.
Regarding a ban or hold on permits; no county may, under NYS Penal Law, enact a ban or freeze on permits. NYS PL Article 400 provides the criteria that must be followed by each and every county regarding permits. Any permit issued in NYS shall be good throughout the state, excepting NYC. The criteria for denial of a CCW permit is also defined in Article 400. A denial may not be catagoric, arbitrary or capricious. Mostly, we're seeing such an increase in permits that the counties can't handle the overload. Several years ago it took about 3 months to get a CCW permit in Orange County (40 miles North of NY). There are now so many applicants that the wait for fingerprinting is close to four months alone. I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and could not find a single round of pistol ammo. No 9mm, no .40 cal, no OO buckshot. The gun cabinets were bare as well. There are so many customers at the gun counter they've moved to the deli-system... you take a number and wait for it to be called. Regarding gun safes, there's a backorder on them. Where there was always tons of them in-stock, there's nothing to be had in the store. Wait time is 6-8 weeks on a safe at Gander Mtn.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back