Interesting Non-Event... But Good Training Observation

WingRider

Evening all,

So I'm sitting in my truck getting ready to leave Grandma's house (she lives in a trailer park). Family also in truck, and Grandma in wheelchair on porch. This guy appears out of nowhere (honestly, I'm not sure how I missed that as I'm normally very aware of my surroundings...). Walks up to Grandma (I'm watching now, btw. He was 15 feet from her when I noticed him) and reaches through ballasters on railing. I'm REALLY watching Grandma now for ANY sign of distress, but there is none. I wondered if they knew each other. Turns out, they did. He's the neighbor. And he's way, way drunk. Probably had no idea what was running through my head. He looked at me through the windshield and complimented my truck. Then he walks up... Well, "walks" is a bit strong... How about "approaches"? He approaches me, up to the drivers side window. My SR9C is on my left hip (I'm a lefty). I start thinking... What if... WTF 'IF'! I'm at real disadvantage here, cause I can't draw and push him away. I work very hard to stay concealed. Most of the time, my wife has no idea when I carry and when I don't. And my kids are completely in the dark. (I can hear it now when we stop for gas and go in to get snacks or use the restroom. 8 year old at her normally too-loud voice: "Daddy! Do you HAVE your GUN?"... No thanks.) Anyway, I start thinking what a pain in the butt to carry both a strong side holster and a cross-draw, and how in the world do I stay concealed when I move from vehicle to public venue. Have any of you considered this and, if yes, what do you do? This may be unique to lefties, given that we drive via the left side of the vehicle. Thanks!

WingRider

I'm left handed, too, and what you described is exactly why I keep a 'truck gun' (a Rossi 720 .44 Special 5 shooter or a .45 Witness) in the center console. I mounted a holster in the console insert (on the driver's side, set up so the gun is held butt forward) and cut the bottom out of the insert below the holster as well, so barrel length is no longer a problem. My F-150's seat contour gets in the way of getting to a gun on my hip (my preferred carry position) whether it's inside or outside the waist band.

Have any of you considered this and, if yes, what do you do?

The problem is that you never want to be confined in your truck while somebody is standing outside it. They have the advantage over you. So rather than change how you carry, you could have gotten out of the truck to interact with this guy, or drove off.

So to answer your question, I would get out of the truck and meet him half way.

I don't understand why you keep your kids in the dark?

My son has known I always carry (mom does too), since he was 8. My daughter has known since she was 6. There has never been a time as you've described & I think you may be worried about nothing.

As to carry & access issues, I now carry AIWB. (I can reach & draw with either hand.)
-

I would prefer not to be caught in my truck, but I keep the windows up and doors locked, so figure I have a chance to get to one of the two I carry. Also keep LEO strength pepper spray on the console in very easy reach that may slow the perp down for that split second I need. And if I need to exit the vehicle, I will open the door with force and hopefully knock the perp down, maybe. Hey, who knows until it happens?

Practice weak side? Since you are at a slight disadvantage being a lefty sitting in the left seat with your gun against the door, about the only alternative to bailing out of the vehicle and meeting every "possible" head on would be to practice weak side and have a weak side rig in the vehicle. When I say rig I'm referring to a holster mounted somewhere inconspicuous like in the center console or under the steering wheel or on the front of the driver seat so that you can access quickly with weak side while defending the door with your strong side. JMO.

Morning all,

Some great ideas out there. Yes, I do need to practice weak side more. I like the idea of the pepper spray. Think I'll rig that up for my wife's car as well. And I think I'll do that for our motorcycles, too. As far as the truck goes, I'm thinking a snub nose in .38 Special / .357 Mag, or a .44 Special / Mag in a Remora type holster between the driver and middle seat. Any shot from that position will be under 6 feet, and likely under 3 feet, so I think most any gun would suffice.

WingRider

I don't understand why you keep your kids in the dark?

My son has known I always carry (mom does too), since he was 8. My daughter has known since she was 6. There has never been a time as you've described & I think you may be worried about nothing.

As to carry & access issues, I now carry AIWB. (I can reach & draw with either hand.)
-

Hi tcox4freedom. Thanks for your comments. I took my oldest daughter shooting for her first time recently. She shot my M&P 22 pistol and Ruger SR9C and really had fun. She wants to go again. She could handle knowing and I wouldn't worry about her too much. My wife knows, just not when. I don't broadcast much information, preferring to balance info with dis-information. My younger daughter hasn't quite grasped the need for finesse when speaking and often lets her emotions get the better of her. I have no doubt she'll blurt something out at the wrong time. She'll also tell all her friends which kind of blows the whole element of surprise thing and keeping a low profile. Eventually, they'll know, but not quite yet. I don't hide it, btw. They just haven't noticed. Maybe they think it's a phone.

One thing that really surprised me is the willingness to which a child can "keep" a secret. I took the approach with my kids that my CC would be our secret. They have kept quiet for years now.

I have shared the fact that I CC with some of their friends & parents; especially, since my home has become the spot to "hang-out". I did this because I felt their friends needed some firearms safety education and I needed permission to teach them. I also felt if they were going to hang out all the time in my home their parents were entitled to know.

My son if one of the most outspoken kids around. I found it funny to hear that he & some of his friends would go back home & "correct" their own fathers about safe firearm's handling. It's even opened up more doors for me to help my neighbors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back