Intentional "Limp Wristing"

Riverkilt

Seems like on ANY gun forum anytime someone posts about a problem with a pistol someone else will post that he's "limp wristing." Yup, its happened to me too...now I'm former LEO x 2 and Marine so it didn't make sense that I was limp wristing. But still....I'd listen...and at the range be sure I was holding whatever pistol I was firing properly.

I recently purchased a Springer .45 Micro-Compact that I loved the look and feel of but it couldn't get through a mag without 3 or 4 problems, mostly FTE. Sent it in and Springfield put in a new extractor, fluffed and buffed it, and sent it back. First mag after being fixed had 3 FTEs....so I sold it.

But I loved the 3" .45 look and feel. Also read all over various gun forums that the 3" .45 just doesn't work. But still I'd look and drool when in the gun shops.

Two weeks ago I ran across a Sig Sauer 3" 1911 .45 Ultra in a shop in Flagstaff, AZ. Since I already have three other Sigs that were all perfect out-of-the-box (P226 Navy, P238, and P938) I took a chance and bought it. And the good news is it too has been perfect out-of-the-box. First 200 rounds have been flawless using various brands of ammo. And, on a lark I shot at the steel duck targets 75 yards out and made solid hits - the ones that missed didn't miss by much. I like that.

Yesterday at the range I got to thinking...why not try to INTENTIONALLY "limp wrist?" I'd seen a you tube video where someone did this to prove the quality of the pistol. So, I shot a mag intentionally limp wristing and the Sig worked fine every "limp wrist" shot. So, if the Sig shoots fine with a "limp wrist" maybe I can just continue to use the grip I've always used - which isn't limp - and focus more on the target and not worry about my grip.

Now I wanna take all my pistols out and intentionally "limp wrist" them and see how they function.

Not all or even most failures are limp wrist, not all are flawless out of the box anymore than cars, at least we can still buy and sell in this country. I have also attempted to limp wrist my colt it has functions without fail. Luck of the draw I guess.

Seems like on ANY gun forum anytime someone posts about a problem with a pistol someone else will post that he's "limp wristing." Yup, its happened to me too...now I'm former LEO x 2 and Marine so it didn't make sense that I was limp wristing. But still....I'd listen...and at the range be sure I was holding whatever pistol I was firing properly.

I recently purchased a Springer .45 Micro-Compact that I loved the look and feel of but it couldn't get through a mag without 3 or 4 problems, mostly FTE. Sent it in and Springfield put in a new extractor, fluffed and buffed it, and sent it back. First mag after being fixed had 3 FTEs....so I sold it.

But I loved the 3" .45 look and feel. Also read all over various gun forums that the 3" .45 just doesn't work. But still I'd look and drool when in the gun shops.

Two weeks ago I ran across a Sig Sauer 3" 1911 .45 Ultra in a shop in Flagstaff, AZ. Since I already have three other Sigs that were all perfect out-of-the-box (P226 Navy, P238, and P938) I took a chance and bought it. And the good news is it too has been perfect out-of-the-box. First 200 rounds have been flawless using various brands of ammo. And, on a lark I shot at the steel duck targets 75 yards out and made solid hits - the ones that missed didn't miss by much. I like that.

Yesterday at the range I got to thinking...why not try to INTENTIONALLY "limp wrist?" I'd seen a you tube video where someone did this to prove the quality of the pistol. So, I shot a mag intentionally limp wristing and the Sig worked fine every "limp wrist" shot. So, if the Sig shoots fine with a "limp wrist" maybe I can just continue to use the grip I've always used - which isn't limp - and focus more on the target and not worry about my grip.

Now I wanna take all my pistols out and intentionally "limp wrist" them and see how they function.
Glad your Sig was trouble free out of the box. A customer of ours was not so lucky. Took two trips to Sig and a trip to a local gunsmith to correct the one he bought. Now it runs like it should.

Intentional limp wrist

It has been my understanding that blow back actions are most prone to limp wrist disorder.
I have a Hi-point 45 acp (I know, I know, but it's dead-nutz accurate!) that must be held firmly or it will stovepipe every time. It is a blow back, hence the huge slide.
On the other hand, my Glock 10mm, with a short recoil action, is nearly impossible (for me) to stovepipe.
So if your pistol is not a blow back, you may want to look at other culprits for stovepipes, FTE, whatever.

I have been at the range many times with new shooters (all use Glocks for this training) and yes, you can limp wrist a Glock to a stove pipe. I have yet to see one FTE except as a stove pipe with a limp wrist.

First thing we do when we see a "stove piper" is work on the person's grip. Only once did I see where it was the firearms fault. Recoil spring was bad, we replaced it and it was good to go.

I wouldn't recommend trying the "limp wrist" idea as a mainstay because when the springs do start to weaken you will be much more susceptible to a failure. Best to try this at the range through a mag and see if you start getting failures. If you do, and you weren't before when you limp wristed then it is time to get some service work done.

One aside: Did you tell the buyer that your firearm that you sold was not functioning properly?

Aside: I sold the Springer through my local gun shop on consignment. I made a BIG deal of telling the owner, and shop staff, all the problems and that the gun was a "Fixer Upper" for sure and priced it accordingly. Consignment guns usually walk out of his shop. I priced it as a fixer upper and tossed in a holster with the deal. It still took a couple months to sell so I'm guessing the shop owner was also honest about the history of the gun. He won't reveal who he sells to...but yes...did pass on the problems. Living in a small town that honesty is important...Karma can work fast in a small town.

I have a Springfield XDS which cannot be fired limp wristed-the gun will jam giving you a problem. Be careful with that and, if you haven't done so with your XDS, send it back for the recall. If you're like me, you don't want to let your baby go; just have a temporary carry.

Aye, first thing I thought of when it began FTE was that, despite all my training, I must somehow be limp wristing....so focused on that. Still had the FTEs. Thing that tore it was after coming back from Springfield it still did the same thing first magazine and I was focused on correct grip etc. I am most pleased with the new Sig Ultra. 200 rounds now and not a hitch.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back