Instructors Records

Do the records you keep as an Instructor for 4 years have to include the targets?

• yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • no

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tinabwmn

As an NRA Instructor in the state of MO I know that all the student records must be kept for at least 4 years. Must the records you keep have to include the target as well. Also doesn't the NRA require the same four year period for records and doesn't it state the targets must be kept as well?

Are you referring toMO Firearms Safety (CCW) Instructor records? I've never seen anything specific on retention of the records, do you have a link to the statute?
As a firearms instructor you should retain records copies on all students you teach in the event you're ever subpoenaed.

Are you referring toMO Firearms Safety (CCW) Instructor records? I've never seen anything specific on retention of the records, do you have a link to the statute?
As a firearms instructor you should retain records copies on all students you teach in the event you're ever subpoenaed.
I submit the classes to the NRA who keeps the records. The answer to the subpoena is "I don't know anything other than he took the class on xx/xx/xx. No specific memory."

I know for a fact that the 4 yr period is accurate. If you go to www.Jaspercountysheriiff.org and look at the ccw requirements of the Instructor it states the 4 yr period. I just could have sworn somewhere it said you must keep the targets. But it was on the NRA site that I found out last night we must keep the scores fr the targets, not necessarily the targets themselves.

Sent from my XT1030 using USA Carry mobile app

Your link is broke but you're correct. I found it in Link Removed.
In answer to your original question. I do maintain all my teaching records and record the scores, but don't keep the qualification targets. The students usually take them or they go in the garbage.

Never heard of this silly idea. I don't/won't keep ANY "records" of students in my classes. They get the certificate I signed. That's it. There are no longer any class reporting requirements from the NRA either. If your state requires you to keep records on your students, that has nothing to do with the NRA.

I know for a fact that the 4 yr period is accurate. If you go to www.Jaspercountysheriiff.org and look at the ccw requirements of the Instructor it states the 4 yr period. I just could have sworn somewhere it said you must keep the targets. But it was on the NRA site that I found out last night we must keep the scores fr the targets, not necessarily the targets themselves.

Sent from my XT1030 using USA Carry mobile app

I do not keep the targets but do keep the performance checklist which has a spot I date and sign as the instructor, that states I witnessed the student safely shoot at a target on the range. The student also reviews and signs this checklist. This is kept along with the graded test and registration info for the student.

Florida statutes 790.06 states this

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Never heard of this silly idea. I don't/won't keep ANY "records" of students in my classes. They get the certificate I signed. That's it. There are no longer any class reporting requirements from the NRA either. If your state requires you to keep records on your students, that has nothing to do with the NRA.
I was starting to wonder about this. I haven't reported my students for the past 2 years. When the NRA went to the automated reporting it became very tedious. Thought I could lose my NRA certs if I didn't report.

I do not keep the targets but do keep the performance checklist which has a spot I date and sign as the instructor, that states I witnessed the student safely shoot at a target on the range. The student also reviews and signs this checklist. This is kept along with the graded test and registration info for the student.

Florida statutes 790.06 states this

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;
And that section you put in red got about 800 in the Jax area in trouble as they did not fire a firearm during the concealed weapons course. Instructors got busted in a sting operation.

Missouri Statute does not specify exactly what course records you are to keep. Missouri also does not offer a standardized form for record keeping (except the qualification form given to the student after successful completion of the course). Unless you are teaching a NRA Basic Handgun course along with the other Missouri requirements you will have to come up with your own record keeping method. Keep the targets or don't keep the targets is up to you. If you choose to throw away the targets or give them to your students, you will have to keep something that shows they passed the firearms portion of the test.

Me, I just keep the targets.

I keep the records for myself... I'm a bit anal... Indiana does not require...

In Missouri You are required to register with every sheriffs department in every county you have students from along with you course curriculum and a copy of a completion of course form that you will use. Some department require specific information on these forms and will tell you what to include. The records must be kept by the instructor for 4 years. this does not include the targets. I would keep a photo copy on the form of a photo ID along with test results. Although I have not taught in Missouri for five years I still have the records of the students. Although it is based on a basic NRA pistol course it is not an approved course by the NRA and cannot be advertised as such.

Things have changed in the past 5 years in MO. The Qualification form is standardized for the state and instructors are only required to register with the Sheriff in their county of residence. There is also an instructor database for those wishing to register on it. The record maintenance remains the same.
Link Removed

Way back then I moved from Phelps county to St Louis county. What a difference in applying and transferring my information. I know live in Oklahoma and of course a new experience with paperwork. was a little easier in Missouri.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back