inexpensive smaller carry gun..worth it for comfort or keep saving?

I carry a sig p245 and at times it is a bit big and uncomfortable. I have seen some sub $300 and even sub $200 compact guns out there. Are there any cheap guns worth staking your life on or should i keep saving...father of three growing boys and a precious baby girl..in diapers.

You can pick up a CZ 82 for less than 300.00$ if you don't mind going with an off caliber (9X18 Makarov) or you can look around and get a deal on a used handgun. I have a S&W 6906 sitting on the desk in front of me that I paid 435.00$ for at a gunshow 2 years ago that had apparently been sitting in someone's gunsafe still in the orginal box for 20 years befor I got it.

THe LC9 Would work I agree, now all i need to do is when the giveway :yu:

I appreciate all the feedback and you all have given me about 3 different pistols to go try out at the range a bit. and yes of course carrying with children you should always be cautiouse weather it is a light pull or not. If the gun is not on me then it is locked, just how it has to be. maybe i will get a quick open safe someday so I have more ready access but right now with two 8 year olds and a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl, I think we stand a greater risk of them getting there hands on the gun then being robbed.

Thanks again.
The LC-9 is a great concealed carry piece, but it is definatly nothing you will want to range day with, a bit to much felt recoil to shoot a lot and the long trigger pull will take some getting used to, thats not to say you cannot be good with a long trigger gun, but it will take a bit more concentration, and thats something usualy in vaery short supply when your in a tense situation, you need a weapon thats easy to use, reasonably accuate, and above all has a good feel to the shooter

The LC-9 is a great concealed carry piece, but it is definatly nothing you will want to range day with, a bit to much felt recoil to shoot a lot and the long trigger pull will take some getting used to, thats not to say you cannot be good with a long trigger gun, but it will take a bit more concentration, and thats something usualy in vaery short supply when your in a tense situation, you need a weapon thats easy to use, reasonably accuate, and above all has a good feel to the shooter

Ya havn't shot one yet diffenitly will be trying a few differnt options out if my local range has some to try before you buy:)

Ya havn't shot one yet diffenitly will be trying a few differnt options out if my local range has some to try before you buy:)

The thing to keep in mind is no matter if its 9mm, 380, 40, 45, the smaller and lighter a gun is for its caliber the more bite its going to have, and the more its going to take on the part of the shooter to be accuate, get the largest and highest caliber weapon you can carry comfortably, personaly, I have come to really like carrying the subcompact 1911 45

You can buy a Ruger P 95 9mm for about $325 and it holds 15 rounds and is a full size gun. It is also very dependable.

After some thought I'm going to say that if you are settling for an inexpensive gun then no, it isn't worth it because you won't be happy with it. Save up and get the gun you want.

OTOH if you can find a gun that works for you and you can be satisfied with that happens to be inexpensive go for it

Everyday carry

Remember the 1st rule........!

I carry a S&W .380 BodyGuard 90% of the time, either pocket (majority of the time), ankle, crotch or waist.
Sometimes it's my only/primary and sometimes it's got company, but there are not many clothing scenarios that cannot conceal it.
It fits my (not very big) hands nicely.
I painted the front sight bright orange for quick alignment and it has the laser, if I want it and have time to activate it.
I admit that it wouldn't be my first choice if I knew I was going to be in a gunfight, but would rather have it than be wishing I could have brought a gun but didn't have a way to conceal it.
Also, having something that I can easily pocket carry, allows me to have my gun in my hand and ready to rapidly deploy, the moment I feel uneasy.....without the worry of 'telegraphing' my intentions by reaching for a waist holster, or prematurely exposing the fact that I have one.
If my uneasy feeling was unwarranted, I just release my grip and go about my business, none the wiser, and if it is warranted, I'm in a position to deploy instantaneously.

I've heard over the years in other forums that Kel Tec's and Bersa are good carry pistols. I had a PF-9 for a while and loved it. But today I carry a Sig P938. That's the pistol for me. It's compact, fits nicely in an OWB Sig holster....lightweight and dead on accuracy right out of the box. Bought it at Double Eagle Pawn in our area for a little over $600 a coupla years ago.

If you want small, I can hit head and chest shots from 3 to 30 feet with my Kel Tec P-32. Want a step up get the Ruger LC380 which is more fun to shoot than the LC9.
:dirol:

Better yet the Glock 43 single stack, 9mm is ultra-concealable, accurate and fantastic for all shooters regardless of hand size. The grip has a built in beaver tail design which allows the shooter to acquire a high and tight grip. The recoil is light, a real sweet shooter. I carry it in my back pocket 95% of the time. And the price right.

I carry a sig p245 and at times it is a bit big and uncomfortable. I have seen some sub $300 and even sub $200 compact guns out there. Are there any cheap guns worth staking your life on or should i keep saving...father of three growing boys and a precious baby girl..in diapers.

I would hold out for the $315 and up range. Lots and lots of good solid choices from $315-$380 for sub-compact and compact.

If you have a good reputable local gun dealer, you could always go with used also to save you a few bucks and often they even come with a few extra accessories.

I luv my Kel Tec P-32. It is small, dependable, and accurate. I carry it in a pocket or else IWB in hot weather. Can hit head or chest shots from 3 to 30 feet. 700 rounds with not one hiccup. :dirol:

My Wife picked up a Ruger LC9S a few months ago. I tell you what, the trigger on that pistol is sweet! I think it runs about 4.5# and is smooth. You may find a better price, but she got hers for $319 before tax. The only down side with this pistol is that it only came with one mag. But it's a nice shooting pistol that to me, doesn't seem to have any more recoil than her Taurus 85 that she's had since the early '90s. I'd definitely carry it if I can get it away from her. I picked up a pretty nice Clinger kydex holster for when I carry it. It carries almost invisible, and is light enough you almost forget it's there.

L8R,
Matt

Sent from my QMV7A using USA Carry mobile app

S&W M&P Shield
I just picked one up Friday on sale for $299 before $75 mail in rebate from Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo. Sale ends soon

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I'm a 380 fan. I have many. But for the price, and ease of carry and weight. I would look at the rugar lcp or lcp2. Both I have well over 1000 rounds.

I picked up a Walther PPS M2 last November and I love it! The trigger is a little heavy at 6#, but breaks clean. I've run a bunch of 115gr and 124gr ammo through it without a hiccup. Still wanting to try some 147gr ammo though. The recoil is a milder than the Ruger LC9S which was surprising. I carry it daily now in either a Cleveland Kydex holster or a Versacarry water buffalo belt slide holster. Both are very comfortable.

L8R,
Matt

The Shield is a great choice right now. With the current rebate you can get an excellent ccw for about 225.00. I've had one for 4 years I paid about 400.00 plus I added an apex spring kit and xs sights and I carry it all the time iwb. I have a Kahr ct380 I paid about 320.00 for a week side backup. Excellent reliable handgun.

Kahr CW9 is a good value. I've put about 300 rounds through mine without a fte or ftf. Sportsmansguide.com has it on sale for about $300.

Kahr CW9 is a good value. I've put about 300 rounds through mine without a fte or ftf. Sportsmansguide.com has it on sale for about $300.

My Kahr CW9 is my EDC. Thin, lightweight, disappears in AIWB. Picked mine up from Tombstone Tactical over a year ago. Saving up from the CM9.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back