In the market for a Kimber Ultra...

cartisdm

Hello friends I'm new!

I am looking to get a concealed carry .45 and I believe I've settled on one of the Kimber carry models (Ultra Carry II, Ultra Raptor II, etc.). I don't mind getting a used one as long as it can be checked out by a good gunsmith beforehand.

Should I order online? Buy new/used in a local store? Gun show? I prefer to pay $700-$850 but I can go up to $1000 if I really have to (I don't need laser grips or special sight rails etc.). It's not an immediate purchase, but within 6 months time.

(I live in Charlotte, NC if that helps)

You can definitely get one online. You just need to be careful of who you buy from. Be sure to check their reputation and previous feedback. Also be aware that many online sellers charge extra for using credit cards. They were even doing this before the recent credit card rule changes, when it was actually a crime to do so. I'm not sure of the gun show situation in NC but you can almost always find a better deal there than in a store, especially on the last day of shows. Dealers don't want to pack everything back up. Good luck.

Kimber

I would suggest www.GunBroker.com because moat of the sellers on there if you look carefully and read EVERY word are legit. And, it's only a dollar to register your account and then order whatever just like a bid on eBay and if you win you get it shipped to an FFL and pay their fee and its yours. I just got a DEagle .50AE yesterday from GB and I'm really pleased with the quality.

You should be able to get a new Ultra for $1,000. I bought one on GB, another at a dealer.
The one magazine shipped with either pistol wouldn't feed the last round; Tripp magazines solved the problem.
Kimber advises a 500 round break-in. One Ultra would have worked 100% provided the Tripp magazine. The other would randomly lock the slide open, along with the magazine issue; Kimber sent a replacement slide stop that solved the random slide lock issue. Both of them work great now. If you get the Ultra and have feeding issues (you may not have any trouble) remember that a different magazine may be all it takes.

CDW4ME:205160 said:
You should be able to get a new Ultra for $1,000. I bought one on GB, another at a dealer.
The one magazine shipped with either pistol wouldn't feed the last round; Tripp magazines solved the problem.
Kimber advises a 500 round break-in. One Ultra would have worked 100% provided the Tripp magazine. The other would randomly lock the slide open, along with the magazine issue; Kimber sent a replacement slide stop that solved the random slide lock issue. Both of them work great now. If you get the Ultra and have feeding issues (you may not have any trouble) remember that a different magazine may be all it takes.

I have heard about the break in period. Seems to vary from person to person. I don't mind that part, it's an excuse to shoot more :)

Something has crossed my mind though. People have told me Kimber now sucks and is just milking their name and selling overpriced guns. This true? My main desire for a Kimber is their quality and they look damn sexy doing it. I would rather spend the extra money up front instead of a $400 gun now and need to upgrade later after CCWing for a while

Kimber

Just bought an ultra crimson carry ll here in NYS. just waiting for the paperwork to come through. Ran me $999 from a gun dealer in my area. Talked to people who carry it and are very pleased, one being a LEO. Good luck.

Have the ultra carry, the II, and the pro carry, carried em for years. Love the guns. Also have a few Glocks. love them too. However I carry the XDM 40 compact now and prefer it to ALL OF THEM. If you are not in a hurry I would wait till July to see the new XDM .45s. I never thought I would say this, but after using XDs and XDMs for the past couple years they are every bit as good as Kimber or Glock. Not as much sex appeal as the Kimber. Don't you believe anything about Kimber slacking on quality either. they are top shelf. Wilson combat is also a good 1911. You won't go wrong on any of these.

I know you are looking for a 45, but I wanted to throw in my input. I recently purchased a Ultra Aegis 9mm at a local gunshow for $950 (retails for $1,300) and I have to tell you I absolutely love it. I am also looking for one of their 45's, I am leaning towards their Pro models verses the Ultra just cause the extra inch helps with the muzzle flip for me. I have shot both the Ultra and Pro Crimson Carry and for me the Pro handled better.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Careful of the magazines you use!

I bought a Kimber Ultra .45ACP awhile ago. I already had a Kimber Gold Combat full sized 1911 with plenty of magazines for the full sized gun. When breaking in the Ultra, I had loaded up the full sized mags. I figured the only issue was they would extend below the grips. HOWEVER, the Ultra would not fire more than a few rounds before I would get a failure to eject. I noticed markings on the "ejected" brass. When I contacted Kimber, they advised I send it back to them to check out. I got a call back and the rep said I must have used a "regular" mag as opposed to one specific to the Ultra platform. According to the rep, the Officer version IS NOT compatible with the standard Government mags. I re-read the manual and didn't notice any mention of this but I did order a few new mags. Got the gun back and have never had the problem again with the Officer sized mags. I did get them from Kimber so I am not sure if any Officer mag will work or if they need to be Kimber mags. Most gun guru's say they never heard of this as a problem. Just be aware FYI.

I have heard about the break in period. Seems to vary from person to person. I don't mind that part, it's an excuse to shoot more :)

Page 27 of my owners manual says to shoot 400-500 rounds of 230 gr. ball ammo to break-in the pistol.

I've carried an Ultra CDP II for several years and it has been flawless using Kimber and Wilson Combat magazines.

I recently got a Ultra Raptor for my birthday and I am already well on my way to the 500 round break in. It came with one mag and got a couple Wilson mags to go with it. If you want to carry something with style and don't mind paying the couple hundred extra go with a Raptor.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back