In Memoriam -- The Flight 93 Passenger Revolt

Shoobee

Banned
The passenger revolt on Flight 93 began at 09:57, after the passengers took a vote amongst themselves about whether to act.[23] By this time, Flight 77 had struck the Pentagon and Flights 11 and 175 had struck the World Trade Center towers.[23] The hijackers in the cockpit became aware of the revolt at 09:57:55, exclaiming, "Is there something? A fight?"[35] Edward Felt dialed 9-1-1 from his cell phone from the lavatory of the aircraft seeking information.[33] His call was answered by dispatcher John Shaw, and Felt was able to tell him about the hijacking before the call was disconnected.[53] There were reports of Felt's hearing an explosion and seeing smoke coming into the lavatory from under the door.[54] These reports were reported to be false in other sources.[55] CeeCee Lyles called her husband once more from a cell phone and told him the passengers were forcing their way into the cockpit.[21] Jarrah began to roll the airplane left and right to knock the passengers off balance. He told another hijacker in the cockpit at 9:58:57, "They want to get in here. Hold, hold from the inside. Hold from the inside. Hold."[35] Jarrah changed tactics at 9:59:52, just a couple of seconds after the South Tower collapsed, and pitched the nose of the airplane up and down to disrupt the assault.[23]

The cockpit voice recorder captured the sounds of crashing, screaming, and the shattering of glass and plates.[56] Jarrah stabilized the plane at 10:00:03.[23] Five seconds later, he asked, "Is that it? Shall we finish it off?" Another hijacker responded, "No. Not yet. When they all come, we finish it off."[35] Jarrah once again pitched the airplane up and down. A passenger in the background cried, "In the cockpit. If we don't, we'll die" at 10:00:25. Sixteen seconds later, another passenger yelled, "Roll it!", possibly referring to using the food cart. The voice recorder did record the sound of the passengers using the food cart as a battering ram against the cockpit door.[23] Jarrah ceased the violent maneuvers at 10:01:00 and recited the takbir several times. He then asked another hijacker, "Is that it? I mean, shall we put it down?" The other hijacker responded, "Yes, pull it down."[23] Nevertheless, the passengers continued their assault and at 10:02:23, a hijacker said, "Pull it down! Pull it down!" The airplane descended with the yoke turned hard to the right. The airplane rolled onto its back, and one of the hijackers began shouting the takbir. Amidst the continued sounds of the passenger counterattack, the aircraft picked up speed, whooshing and shrieking picked up on the recorder, and then finally plowed into an empty field in Stonycreek, Pennsylvania, about 20 minutes' flying time from Washington, D.C.[23] The last entry on the voice recorder was made at 10:03:09.[35] The last piece of flight data was recorded at 10:03:10.[57] The 9/11 Commission Report concluded that "the hijackers remained at the controls but must have judged that the passengers were only seconds from overcoming them".[23] Some of the passengers' family members, having heard the audio recordings, believe that the passengers breached the cockpit[58] and killed at least one of the hijackers guarding the cockpit door; Some interpreted the audio as suggesting that both the passengers and hijackers struggled for control of the yoke.[59][60]

United Airlines Flight 93 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On that morning I was getting ready to go out for a run. The phone rang and a family member told me to put on the news. A plane had crashed into world trade #1. I didn't go for the run, instead I watched. I called my wife at work to tell her what was happenning. I had spent time at world trade in the couple years prior. Mostly a quick business lunch at one of the eateries in the underground mall connecting the towers. A favorite shopping spot was Century-21 right across from the plaza.

Then came news of flight 93. Something perked my curiosity. Couldn't put my finger on it at first. Then it hit me. Newark to San Francisco. I called my wife and asked her if she had a copy of her last expense report. She was working a project in Fresno, CA. Since Fresno was in-between L.A. and San Francisco she was flying Newark-San Francisco and sometimes returning via L.A.-Newark. I knew it was United Airlines. She called me back with the info. She had flown united 93 roughly four months prior, Newark to San Francisco. The hair on my neck stood up. Her office in Westchester closed for the day. Being right next to NYC many employees had friends or family working at world trade. She brought home the ticket receipts. We often wonder was it just the same flight number or was it the same plane. Could it have been the same crew or pilots? We'll never know. Makes one realize how precious life is.

In the weeks and months that followed there were many funerals in my community. Some were employees caught in the towers. Even multiple family members (one father & son). Most were police and firemen who commuted into the city.

You never know if a flight you are on is going to be hijacked by arab jihadists.

But if it ever is, then just make sure go down fighting and take the arabs with you, so they will die in vain, and not inherit their 70 virgins.

Salute, to the brave Californians from the Bay Area who indeed did so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back