I'm looking for an optic for a survival gun

AnomalousJunk

I decided to put this in "Long Guns" because I figure this is where most optics discussions would happen.

I have a "charger" (cut down rifle, now considered a handgun) that I am thinking of using in my bug out bag. It has a short rail on top but no iron sights. At the moment, it has a red dot sight on it, but I would like to have an optic that at least has the option of being functional without a battery. Since it's going in a bag, smaller is better.

I really don't have a preference for the type of optic. The gun is a .22 so I don't need anything too heavy duty. I'm just looking for any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks!

Trijicon is the way for me to go. I have an Acog on my AR, but you may want to look into the Reflex. No batteries ever.

It's a Savage, Model 64 I believe. It has a custom heavy barrel that is approximately 9 inches. The overall length of the gun is 21 inches. It has a 2 stage trigger and a cut down stock with pistol grip. Not sure what else to say about it.

Oh, and it has a camo paint job, which makes it 25% more accurate when hunting. ;-)

This seems like more of a last resort sorta gun... Reflex sights are sorta bulky to me, maybe a mini red dot? I think something small would be the way to go.

Would you post pics of it?

Did you cut down a rifle yourself?

Was this manufactured as a pistol?

Do you know the difference?

Since you have not responded, it appears you have now idea what you have.

The Charger is a pistol by manufacture. If you have a 'homemade' Charger, IOWs you or someone else has cut down a long gun to look like a Charger, you now possess a SBR without a tax stamp.

A pistol receiver can become a long gun, but a long gun receiver cannot become a pistol.

What you may have is illegal.

Sorry for the late reply. My computer went tits up. I'm am using a friends phone to post this. I don't see a way to post a pic.

I received the gun in a trade and it was already built how it is now. I did check with my local sheriff's office before I got the gun and they said that it is considered a pistol.

As for your sight question depending on how long that rail is perhaps a pair of folding BUIS would be your best bet for size, cost and functionality without batteries. There are some decent optics that run off either tritium of fiber optic light amplification to illuminate them but as far as I know they're all in the several hundreds of dollars range, made by companies like Trijicon... Eotech would probably be a good choice for size and functionality too and you can leave it on all year without running out of batteries, but $$$$. For a last ditch gun a set of buis is probably sufficient, a low powered pistol scope might do as well for daytime use or if you really want a red dot, you can find one with a notch and post type iron sight built into the top of it, for when you're out of batteries and somehow not out of bullets. I'm not sure about your choice of survival weapon, a stockless .22 is not going to be great for defense or for hunting, you may as well just have a pistol for compactness and usefulness a ruger mkIII or something similar would likely do just as well. Better yet a takedown survival rifle like a AR-7 or Marlin Papoose for your game catcher and a full powered handgun for defense would make that bugout bag much more practical.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back