Illinois FOID and Pennsylvania

gantaro

I just talked to a clerk at Sheriff Nau's office about the new requirement to renew non-resident permits in person. She said that was a change in state law. She also said the FOID is recognized as a valid permit for concealed carry in PA, so I guess I don't have to renew my PA permit.

Sounds like something I wouldn't bet on. You'd be well advised to check that out thoroughly before trying it.

A clerk at a sheriff's office :warning2:Yea, I'm sure that will hold up in court..... not

According to this site (the site this forum is on), PA does not recognize IL permits, much less a FOID card.

I did notice when looking at the map, that my state NC does now recognize IL permits (which I'm sure means CCP, not FOID), and actually recognizes permits from 49 states. The only one not recognized is VT simply because they don't issue permits as they have constitutional CC.

I just talked to a clerk at Sheriff Nau's office about the new requirement to renew non-resident permits in person. She said that was a change in state law. She also said the FOID is recognized as a valid permit for concealed carry in PA, so I guess I don't have to renew my PA permit.

On this site, the reciprocity map says that these are the only states that recognize the IL permit (not FOID, but permit): Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont

PA is NOT one of them. From PA's website:
Link Removed Note: IL permit holders are not granted reciprocity in PA.

Does anyone have an IL concealed carry permit in their pocket yet? Has anyone been able to complete all requirements and actually submit the paperwork to receive one?

My wife (at the time, now ex-wife) went to a Sheriff's Office in Washington state to obtain our WA CPLs. The clerk at the counter told my wife she needed to get a WA driver's license because only military member's could keep their out of state driver's license. This statement was in direct conflict with the Washington Administrative Code which also exempts military dependents from obtaining a WA driver's license. I notified the Sheriff that his clerk was distributing not only unsolicited advice but incorrect advice as well. He agreed the information was erroneous and stated that he would correct the problem.

You might want to write the Sheriff where you received the incorrect information and either he will confirm the information was erroneous or you can ask him/her to provide you with the statutory reference showing that the information is correct.

Does anyone have an IL concealed carry permit in their pocket yet? Has anyone been able to complete all requirements and actually submit the paperwork to receive one?

Answer to your question is -- Most likely NO.

State police web site says applications will be available by 1-5-2014. When available, they may be downloaded from ISP site. As of today, they are not available.

I'm guessing that she is confusing this with that an IL resident was able to submit a copy of FOID in order to apply for a PA LTCF. Non-PA resident must have a permit from their homestate IF their home state offered it. Since IL doen't, yet, the FOID was usable. See #3 here: Link Removed Even tho this says "must furnish FOID", he really couldn't require it by law. Once IL starts issuing next year then the IL carry permit will be required.

+1

Is PA an otherwise constitutional carry state? Because the FOID is worthless for carry in Illinois.

You may open carry in the state of PA without a license except in Philadelphia (you need either a PA LTCF or a permit/license that PA honors). Also, you may not open carry in PA within your vehicle unless you are properly licensed.

Many people have compelted training requirements but nobody has a carry conceal license in Illinois yet. Permit applications are expected to be available January 5th 2014. The state then a has a minimum of 30 days limbo/waiting time, to a maximum of 120 days to process and approve or deny application. Illinois Carry Licenses are expected March 2014 at earliest and May 2014 at latest (according to the letter of the law). Having said that there is nothing to stop the state from delaying issuing of carry licenses. Since the FOID law says the state has 30 days to issue foid cards, but it has not been unusual to wait 9 months. 900x what the law says.

Both the carry law as well as the foid law are toothless in this regard. Yes the law says the ISP must do something, but there is no penalty for not doing it. So they can take as long as they want.

You may open carry in the state of PA without a license except in Philadelphia (you need either a PA LTCF or a permit/license that PA honors). Also, you may not open carry in PA within your vehicle unless you are properly licensed.
Side note: In Michigan the FOID card is good for open carry but no car carry at all.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back