Illinois Concealed Carry

carverdave

Congratulate me. I'm one of the first 5000 proud owners of the new Illinois concealed carry permit. I carry a Springfield XDS .45 ACP with a spare mag. My main concern in Illinois is all of the restricted areas where you are not allowed to carry a firearm. If you make a mistake you could go from an honest law abiding citizen to a convicted felon. That's Illinois for you, or should I say "Thanks Chicago Democrats!". Anyone have any ideas how we can get some of the restrictions lifted. Oh, and I also have a Florida non-resident permit. I would like to travel carrying my firearm, particular on a motorcycle. Anyone have any suggestions on how to better understand restrictions in other states where I may carry. And also a good way to store my gun on my bike when I am in a location I am not allowed to carry? I ride a Harley Road King Classic with leather bags.

Thanks,

Dave

By the way, this is my first post.

Check out handgunlaw.us it will help you figure out where you can carry and the laws for each state.

Oh, and, congratulations!!!!

Congratulate me. I'm one of the first 5000 proud owners of the new Illinois concealed carry permit. I carry a Springfield XDS .45 ACP with a spare mag. My main concern in Illinois is all of the restricted areas where you are not allowed to carry a firearm. If you make a mistake you could go from an honest law abiding citizen to a convicted felon. That's Illinois for you, or should I say "Thanks Chicago Democrats!". Anyone have any ideas how we can get some of the restrictions lifted. Oh, and I also have a Florida non-resident permit. I would like to travel carrying my firearm, particular on a motorcycle. Anyone have any suggestions on how to better understand restrictions in other states where I may carry. And also a good way to store my gun on my bike when I am in a location I am not allowed to carry? I ride a Harley Road King Classic with leather bags.

Thanks,

Dave

How exciting! Glad to hear you are one of the early ones. I live in Illinois but since I'm active duty military, am unable to apply until the legislature passes an amendment to the act.

Note that carrying into a posted area won't make you a felon, but you could be found guilty of a class B misdemeanor ($2500 fine and/or 6 months in jail) for the first offense and a class A misdemeanor for a second offense. Of course, you don't want either of those on your record so be careful and know the law!

If you want change, contact your state representative or state senator. I've done that and my concerns for military members are being addressed. It has a way to go yet but is at least being considered now by the state house. Also recommend participating in the forums at illinoiscarry.com and filing witness slips with the legislature for each bill as it is considered in committee. That is a very active group over there that had a lot to do with the initial passage of the concealed carry legislation in Illinois.

Enjoy your new freedom (which you always should have had anyway)!

kwc

Congrats on your CCP, but with a question. I am a resident of Illinois and completed the 16 hours training for armed guard here in Arizona would any one know if this training is valid back in Illinois for the CCP. I read on handgun law about 16 hrs from a ISP instructor. I'm guessing Illinois State Police so I am not sure. thanks in advance

I got my IL CCL on the 9th of this month. I've carried a bit and really haven't had to disarm yet. Just plan where ur goin. There really aren't that many stores posting no gun signs.
If you have a smart phone then get a app called Posted!
It shows all the no gun postings in ur area.

As for the 16hrs of training, that's best for a instructor to answer. But most likely you would at least have to do the second phase/8 hrs. That covers laws and the qual test.

Hi Dave! I'm an Illinois resident too, waiting for my permit to work through the process. I'm also wondering about the best way to carry on my motorcycle. I think a waistband holster would be uncomfortable over that much sitting. My husband uses an ankle holster. I'm considering a bag-style holster (I hate to use the word "fanny pack" but that's basically what it is). Would love to hear if anyone else has thoughts. There's a motorcycle forum on this site too; maybe post your question there?

Congratulations I am still waiting for mine. I didn't submit fingerprints so I knew it was going to take a little longer.

I wear a vest or jacket when ridin and plan on pocket carrying.
You get a removable tank bag and keep ur gun in that. The. Just bring the bag with you when u park.

Congrats! I'm still waiting for mine also. Didn't submit prints so I'm guessing around the end of April before I receive it.

Now if Illinois will just do some reciprocating with other states. So far they don't with my home state of OK.

I submitted prints and mine came first of March. My employment puts me in a gun free zone most of the time. I'm hoping those go away but not holding my breath. I'm also trying to determine good motorcycle options. Carry isn't hard but how to leave it securely with the motorcycle when necessary (such as arriving at work) is a problem. It's a long shot (yes, pun intended) but I hope legislation for 50 state reciprocity passes. If gov't can't just recognize it as they should, maybe the 2nd Amendment can be brought back little by little.

Congratulations Dave!!!
+1 on the hadgunlaw.us and check out the concealed carry resources tab at the top of this page.
Always carry, never tell and be safe

Jack

Now if Illinois will just do some reciprocating with other states. So far they don't with my home state of OK.

I hope I am not busting your bubble but IL with not have any reciprocating with other states. The state is going broke and the elected morons will want anyone who wants to carry in IL to pay the $300 to get said permit!

I was born and raised in IL and believe I know this state very well!

For those interested in the numbers for non-residents obtaining an IL concealed carry license, I received a response to my Freedom of Information Request today.

As of 18 Aug 2014, there have been a total of 5 non-resident applicants: 3 from VA, 1 from NM, and 1 from SC. Two licenses have been issued: 1 each in VA and NM. These numbers are appalling and in my opinion are reflective of the high cost, extensive training, inaccessible training classes out of state, and the fact that no bordering states are "substantially similar."

Thanks,

Dave

Vote Republican!

For those interested in the numbers for non-residents obtaining an IL concealed carry license, I received a response to my Freedom of Information Request today.

As of 18 Aug 2014, there have been a total of 5 non-resident applicants: 3 from VA, 1 from NM, and 1 from SC. Two licenses have been issued: 1 each in VA and NM. These numbers are appalling and in my opinion are reflective of the high cost, extensive training, inaccessible training classes out of state, and the fact that no bordering states are "substantially similar."

And for this, we are eternally grateful.

And of course the applicants who did not get their permits will NOT get the $300 filing fee back! Sounds like a "racket to me!!!

And of course the applicants who did not get their permits will NOT get the $300 filing fee back! Sounds like a "racket to me!!!

Applicants not yet issued a license may still be in the 90-120 day review window. These numbers don't show if any have been rejected.

I'm considering a bag-style holster (I hate to use the word "fanny pack" but that's basically what it is). Would love to hear if anyone else has thoughts.

Since you ask, i ordered this concealed carry fanny pack from walmart a couple months ago and like it because I can carry a full size 17 round pistol in it and sit comfortably with it on. Can make the strap fit tight so it doesn't bounce around. It also has 2 loops behind the pack you can put a belt through to make it even more secure. You can pay more for fancier ones, of course if you want: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ka-Bar-TDI-Law-Enforcement-Fanny-Pack/17687495

The main reason I chose this as opposed to a holster is because for me (5'7", 150 lbs.) sitting with an inside the pants holster is very uncomfortable and the handle prints if there's a light wind pushing my shirt towards me.

I asked about using fanny pack style pack inhere and got some kidding around, but most seemed to think it was a good alternative. The one draw back someone came up with is that your pistol sits pointing sideways and slightly down, so if someone is beside you it can be pointing at them.

I thought about this and googled carrying with the pistol in the horizontal position and learned that many of the shoulder holsters police carry also have the gun in a horizontal position. I've become comfortable carrying this way and have become aware that the gun doesn't go off by itself - the trigger has to be pulled for it to fire.

As far as the style - alot of joggers wear similar packs and bags and I'm a t-shirt / sweat pants kind of guy, so it's fine with me.

On a harley with leather pants - well, it might look ok as a fashion statement. :unsure:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back