Illinois CCL Questions

Sparky1

Just applied for my Illinois CCL this week and walked away from the class a bit confused. My instructor made two statements that I questioned but cannot find specific answers to:

1) Must a CCL holder announce he (she) is carrying when entering private residences??

2) Is a CCL holder limited to one firearm when carrying??

I would very much appreciate any input you may have. If you have something please provided references.

Thank you very much!

No, you are not obligated to inform someone when you enter their home. They, however, can prohibit carry and you must leave or you are trespassing

You can carry as many firearms on your person as you like as long as they are "concealed or mostly concealed " per state law. I like to carry a holstered larger semi- auto and a jframe in the pocket when going on the bigger city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just applied for my Illinois CCL this week and walked away from the class a bit confused. My instructor made two statements that I questioned but cannot find specific answers to:

1) Must a CCL holder announce he (she) is carrying when entering private residences??

2) Is a CCL holder limited to one firearm when carrying??

I would very much appreciate any input you may have. If you have something please provided references.

Thank you very much!

Did your instructor give affirmative answers to both of your questions above?

I agree the answer should be "no" to both questions. You may want to give feedback to your instructor on both points to ensure no one else is misled.

Last edited:
My instructor who is certified to teach the conceal carry class carries a minimum of 2 firearms on him at all times, sometimes 3. So I would say no to your second question.

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

Thanks for your input so far...looks like BUG's are allowed, and no need to announce my carrying to houses I might visit. I am checking with my senator who sponsored the bill, in part and will post here. Keep in mind this is only regarding Illinois though.

Yes, I got affirmative answers. I will keep digging until I get the letter of the law in hand (trying to get ruling from my senator who sat on the committees). Once I find out that the instructor was incorrect, I will insure a retraction is made.

Yes, I got affirmative answers. I will keep digging until I get the letter of the law in hand (trying to get ruling from my senator who sat on the committees). Once I find out that the instructor was incorrect, I will insure a retraction is made.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to continue digging there is no dispute in the issue. The law does not limit the number of firearms nor does it include a duty to inform anyone except LEO and that's only if asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are absolutely right...it is just that I got the information from an instructor and wanted to believe him. I asked the questions in the middle of the class and he must have gotten the information somewhere (or did he just gave me what he thought was the correct answer). I will take it up with him. Thanks for all the responses.

No need to announce before entering a private residence, and you can carry more than one. No where in the state statutes are either of these mentioned. Just like church carry; the statute is silent, so carry as long as it isn't posted or banned by federal or Illinois statute.

No and no. Your instructor needs to read and understand the law that he is teaching. He is misinformed and possibly unqualified, and as a result, you are unsure of something that you should be absolutely certain of.

Yep...I agree wholeheartedly. All this has taught me one thing though; if you need an answer, go straight to the horse's mouth (Illinois State Police, Firearms Services Bureau, Concealed Carry Unit). They have all the answers and actually got back to me the same day I wrote to them. They, of course, agree with your affirmation regarding BUG's, and notification to homeowners.

There you go. In many cases I would not recommend taking legal advice from a police officer, but in this case that's a safe choice.

For future reference you should have bookmarked

http://ccl4illinois.com

There is a FAQ page and the full text of the law on the website. You should be familiar with it, as it's where the application is filled out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back