I own a gun but my boyfriend was denied to carry concealed

quehas4

I own a gun, Glock 19, but my boyfriend was denied to carry concealed. We do not live together yet but we have started taking about it. He is not a felon but had a couple DUI's 20 years ago. We are assuming this is why he was denied. Will I have to choose between him and my gun when we want to live together? Don't make me go there!

We both live in PA.

Where can I find these kinds of answers?

Que

Check your State's Gun laws as they pertain to you. In the State of Indiana, two DUIs do make you a Class D Felon. Yes it sucks.

I recommend you confirm that his DUIs is the reason for rejection and then see an attorney. After 20 years, that reason should go away. I think it does here in Indiana. Good Luck to you both.

Que

First you need to find out why his permit was denied. There may be a reason why his permit was denied that does not prohibit his possession of firearms. If that is the case, then you have nothing to worry about.

If his permit was denied for a reason that does prohibit his possession of firearms, then your firearms will have to stay under your sole control. That means when the gun is not on your person it must be locked in a location that he does not have the key or combination to.

This is probably the PA statute that he was denied under, if it was for the DUIs:
18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;

The sheriff has probably determined that he has already acted twice in a manner dangerous to public safety, but that alone would not prohibit him from possessing firearms IF neither of the DUIs was a felony.

Good guns are getting hard to find, but a good man with a CCW is even harder to find. But, they are available.

I own a gun, Glock 19, but my boyfriend was denied to carry concealed. We do not live together yet but we have started taking about it. He is not a felon but had a couple DUI's 20 years ago. We are assuming this is why he was denied. Will I have to choose between him and my gun when we want to live together? Don't make me go there!
Can he OWN or possess a gun? If he can legally own a gun, they you can keep him and your gun, you will just have to be the one to carry.

Of course every state is different, my state a DUI will only prevent you from getting a carry permit for 3 years.

Good advice in this thread. Have nothing to add, except good luck, and may you never have to make that gun or boyfriend decision!

I own a gun, Glock 19, but my boyfriend was denied to carry concealed. We do not live together yet but we have started taking about it. He is not a felon but had a couple DUI's 20 years ago. We are assuming this is why he was denied.

Que
I'll give you the same advice I gave my own daughter...

Find another Prince Charming, sweetie, one who can pass a background check! You need to kiss a few more frogs.

I'll give you the same advice I gave my own daughter...

Find another Prince Charming, sweetie, one who can pass a background check! You need to kiss a few more frogs.

You do understand that a large percentage of the population in California cannot pass the "background check" required for a CCW permit because it is largely, if not solely, at the discretion of the Sheriff who gets a permit and who doesn't? I would not consider the inability of a person to obtain a CCW permit (in some states, at least) to be any indication of their moral character. It is actually more of an indication of the sheriff's moral character! I notice handgunlaw.us shows PA as a "shall issue" state, but it does not seem like the PA statute reads that way because I cannot find a strict definition of "the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety" in PA law. That seems to be at the discretion of the sheriff.

So what happens when the boyfriend wanders on to this forum and sees that his girlfriend is trying to decide between him and her gun? How big is that barrel on a glock 19?

We both live in PA.

Que

When your boyfriend was denied, there should have been an appeal process (appeal form) that he was notified about or some information as to finding out why he was denied.

This would be step one. Once he finds out the reasoning for the denial there are steps that can be taken to get rid of past records.

But without knowing, you are in the dark as we are.

The other bit of information that you need to know is whether he would be denied purchasing a firearm. These are two different animals. If he tries to purchase a firearm and is denied, then you know he can't own one and then you need to find out what the law says about whether he can be in the same domicile with your gun and if so, are there stipulation on how you store it. If he can purchase it, then you have no worries about whether you and he can live together.

At some point, it sounds as if you should consult a lawyer.

It is very troubling to see all of the self righteousness that goes on in this forum with respect to judging a person that was denied a carry permit. Speculation abounds just like the dumbasses speculation on the Malaysia airline. Many of the murders that occur in this country are committed by folks with no criminal background therefore everyone on this forum is a potential killer...just haven't got there yet hmmmmm. Now I ask you who is more trustworthy with a firearm...this ladies bf that we know nothing about or bill Clinton. We know he is a violent sexual predator yet has never been convicted. He must be a former frog that got kissed I guess. You guys are so quick to judge without a smidgen of background. Firearms haven't taught most of you guys squat...keep your damned finger off the trigger until you know what you are shooting at. Better yet just make some crap up as if ye were all knowing...kiss a few more frogs.

I was going to say: Get rid of the bum, but your answer is much more polite.
I am a courteous person when it comes to my daughter's boyfriends. My daughter knows that, if a boy shows up at the front door to pick her up wearing his pants too low, that I will cheerfully use my pneumatic nail gun to position his pants properly. No problem...

It is very troubling to see all of the self righteousness that goes on in this forum with respect to judging a person that was denied a carry permit. Speculation abounds just like the dumbasses speculation on the Malaysia airline. Many of the murders that occur in this country are committed by folks with no criminal background therefore everyone on this forum is a potential killer...just haven't got there yet hmmmmm. Now I ask you who is more trustworthy with a firearm...this ladies bf that we know nothing about or bill Clinton. We know he is a violent sexual predator yet has never been convicted. He must be a former frog that got kissed I guess. You guys are so quick to judge without a smidgen of background. Firearms haven't taught most of you guys squat...keep your damned finger off the trigger until you know what you are shooting at. Better yet just make some crap up as if ye were all knowing...kiss a few more frogs.

Seriously? Your accusing some of us about being judgemental? ROTFLMBO. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, and more :sarcastic: Please feel free to look me up and push the "IGNORE" button. Might save you some aggravation in the future. Till then keep on smiling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back