I need help choosing my first .30-06

Craash420

I recently took a vacation to WI and developed AOHD, Adult Onset Hunting Disorder. Next year I'm going back for deer season, but I'm not sure I can wait so long. I'm in FL so boar hunting is also an option, and I love boar meat almost as much as venison. My uncle let me shoot a couple semi-auto .30-06s with wood stocks and I loved them both, unfortunately he didn't let me bring either of them home. I'm pretty sure a .30-06 will be my first hunting rifle, but there are so many options and I have so little experience. I'll probably buy used, as I have an entry-level budget and I can get more bang for my buck (sorry).

Bolt-action vs semi-auto: I'm not worried about the bolt gun slowing me down much but I don't know how much more recoil it will have compared to the semi.

Stock: Synthetic seems cheaper than wood, which is a good thing, but it's also lighter. How much does that affect the recoil?

Scope: I can't imagine hunting anything other that boar or deer in the next few years, I'd imagine 150 yards tops. How much magnification do I need? Is "want" much different than "need"?

Thanks in advance.

Which rifles did you actually shoot? What is your budget? Are you fixed on .30-06, or would you consider other calibers (e.g., .270 Win or .308)?

Bolt action will generally be cheaper, be more reliable, and have quite more recoil. The key is to learn to control the recoil. A decent recoil pad helps as well.

My semi-auto recommendations would be Link Removed, Springfield Standard M1A (.308) or Link Removed, or wait for a 20"-barrel version of the Link Removed. All of these are above $1000.

Unfortunately I didn't ask what the rifles were, but they looked like Google images of the Browning BAR but very weathered. At this point I'm fixated on .30-06, and I think bolt-action will give me a little more accuracy than a semi-auto. I'm hoping to get something for under $500, any more than that and I'll have to sell some fishing gear.

Based on your budget, a semi-auto is pretty much out of the question. The best way to proceed is to take a look what is available that you can afford and then research individual models. Looking at your budget, there aren't actually that many options.

Yeah, new is out of the question. Once I bring home some meat I expect the purse-strings will loosen up but since I haven't hunted in 30 years my wife is skeptical. Any advice on what not to get?

A friend strongly recommended the Savage Axis line, today I brought home an Axis II XP with a Weaver scope mounted to it. Bass Pro had competitive pricing and I got 15% off by using their credit card, plus I'll get $25 from a mail in rebate for getting ammo with the Savage. All said and done I got the rifle (in camo), scope, travel case, and three boxes of ammo for a little under $500. Now I twitch because it will be a few weeks until I can make it to the outdoor range and sight it in. Hell, who am I kidding, I'll burn through at least two of those boxes even if the missus doesn't get her hands on it. I'll post an update once I put some sounds down range.

Congrats. It is my understanding that the Savage Axis II XP with the Weaver scope comes already bore-sighted from the factory. Sighting it in for your specific hunting ammo may be as simple as fine tuning it. What zero did the factory bore-sighting use?

Sorry for the delayed post. Bolt-action doubles the recoil, if not more. Hunting I probably won't notice, but after pulling the trigger 15x I was good, the rest kicked my butt. At this point I can't expect a bulls-eye but I should be able to drop a hog or a deer. The trigger is great out of the box, no need to adjust it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back