I love bureaucracy

bbarton713

What gets me is if you call and ask for a status in general, not even asking specifically about yourself, SLED's answer for the CWP wait is 90 days.

Really? So it is down to such a science that they know it will be exactly 90 days, no more, no less?

Reminds me of the pat parental answer, "Because I said so".

Yep, I agree... in someways I suspect they hired ex highway dept persons to do this....

as a side note... my wife 'gave' me her little red truck a few years back and insisted I go that day and transfer the title... I really did not want to... but, three trips to the H.D. office along with a side trip to the county tax office and I finally got the title completed. I know the person who handed me the title and stuff thought I was absolutely nuts when I told her: "You realize it is easier to get into the oval office of the white house and do work than it is to transfer a title to a vehicle in this state?"

the shameful thing is this is absolutely true.

the real problem with SLED and CWP is that there is a real simple solution but it would put folks out of work... just don't have a CWP... let everyone carry concealed or open with out the government tax stamp... but this would be too easy and too close to constitutionally correct.

I was lucky that when I transferred my cars from NH to here it could be done without a title and only the registration. I actually flew through the county offices and then it was only a short wait at the DMV.

I agree, do away with the need for a permit and just let people carry either way. If it is true that there is only one person doing this work then I don't see the reason to do it at all. Is it really that big a revenue generator at $50 a pop?

No there is not just one person doing the work.. I would have to look back through my emails...but I think it is something like 18 people 8 hours a day 5 days a week.... some of these are state constables doing it on a volunteer basis. If I remember right the new applications and renewals are generating something like 3 million dollars a year.

Not that I care for bureaucracy myself but I can understand why....

I don't believe their tasking is customer service but processing applications and collecting taxes.
This state isn't exactly the most technological state around.

After being very pissed about my local city's taxation and what I consider wasteful expenditures, a friend of mine commented that what do I expect out of government, they can tax and spend but not meant to produce, that is contracted out.....and I work for a DoD contractor:biggrin:

The government and SLED's role is not to protect and serve but to maintain government's:pleasantry:

Police have not duty to Protect Individuals, (or serve for that matter)
Link Removed

I sent message to both of the Republican Senators in my district of SC.

Dear Senator(s) Rankin/Cleary:

I recently applied for a Concealed Weapons Permit as a resident of SC. State Law states that SLED has to let you know after 90 days if they won't issue you a permit but there isn't anything that says how long it will take.

I've called SLED and been told that it is a 90-day processing time. I find it hard to believe that it always takes exactly 90 days. It sounds like they took the 90-day or shall issue as their automatic limit.

I've spoken with many people in other states that have a much longer wait (especially in states that are not considered gun friendly) but have also heard of states that take MUCH less time to process than SC.

Is there anything that you can to to facilitate the process or at least allow some accountability by the SLED department? I mailed my application on October 16 and got delivery confirmation from the post office on October 17 but now it is a black hole (information-wise) until they decide to issue my permit 90 days or so in the future.

Crap! Come to find out that my state Senator in Horry County is a Democrat. I wonder how helpful he'll be with my request...

Crap! Come to find out that my state Senator in Horry County is a Democrat. I wonder how helpful he'll be with my request...

Rankin and Clearly are Republicans.

Luke A. Rankin [R]
Attorney
Dist. No. 33 - Horry Co.

Raymond E. Cleary III [R]
Dentist
Dist. No. 34 - Charleston, Georgetown & Horry Cos.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Elliott? But then SC US Representative Spratt for that area is also a Democrat...Must be a Democrat stronghold.

Dick Elliott [D]
Real Estate-Vacation Rentals, Golf Courses, Sales, Development
Dist. No. 28 - Dillon, Horry, Marion & Marlboro Cos.

Last edited:
I think that guy in whorry county is the one who sponsored the bill a year or so back to mandate serial numbers on all ammunition. I sent him a letter pretty much saying he should be ashamed to claim he's from this state... but you know S.C. is not that gun friendly a state.... read the state gun laws and you'll see that most of these are to protect the government not the citizens. I do take issue with just blanket condemning a politician because they are democrat.... don't forget that until recent times just about everybody in this state was a democrat.

Keep in mind one of the good things about the CWP process in this state is the bureaucracy of it.... the people are just processing the paper work and have no personal interest in you... much better than a lot of states where you have to go and get permission from the county sheriff.... this is left over from a time best left in the past.

but you know S.C. is not that gun friendly a state.... read the state gun laws and you'll see that most of these are to protect the government not the citizens. I do take issue with just blanket condemning a politician because they are democrat.... don't forget that until recent times just about everybody in this state was a democrat.

I believe the gun laws established after the Civil War were to protect the reconstructionist government and the aristocracy that came down usurping South Carolinian autonomy. Don't want to get too far into South Carolina history but it feels like the last 10-15 years, the people of South Carolina are finally trying to take some control from the aristocracy.

actually the gun laws after the war of northern aggression were to keep guns out of the hands of black and even poor whites, that would not join the klan or other such organizations...

do a google of "racist gun laws" and you'll find plenty of documentation to support the claim that 'ALL' gun laws are racist....

I think in recent times it has become more 'elitist' than specifically racist... in that now these laws are to keep the ultimate power out of the hands of the poor and lower middle class.... slowly creeping up into the middle classes.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back