I can't decide on which gun I want

Not to be argumentative, however, my "new" 1911's, Colt, Remington, Ruger, S&W, all purchased within the past five years and nothing custom about any of them, all run just as well as my older Colts.

What's the price tag on those?

If the 1911 design were an inherently flawed design they wouldn't be so popular 100 years later.

Like all other handguns (except the really high end ones) a given 1911 is nothing more than a collection of parts. The slid is made in one part of the factory, the barrel in another. Some parts are even contracted out to a third party vendor. That pile of parts doesn't become a 1911 (or a Glock) until it gets to assembly.

The parts should all be made to ISO 9001 specs but even then you're bound to get some tolerance stacking and you get your occasional lemon. (I even got a lemon from CZ and they are renowned for their quality). In general a company that's known for producing crap either improves their quality or goes out of business.

Bottom line, for you to dismiss all 1911's (except the high end ones) as junk is ignorant and for you to dismiss the experience of people who have actually carried 1911's is arrogant

Feel free to recommend 1911s you have experience with. I will simply not recommend any and refer to experts on this that either tell me all about the modifications on their 1911s to make them run properly, or tell me to spend the money and get a real 1911. That's where my "high end" comment comes from. Now, you may think that "high end" means several thousand dollars in cost. I don't.

Think about it this way. The only thing that's wrong with Glocks from the factory are the sights. I always tell people to calculate buying and installing aftermarket sights into the price point when making a decision. I would never recommend Glocks if making them run correctly includes taking them to a gun smith or having a custom job done. Also, in that sense, a Glock clone that costs $1,000 would be a high-end Glock, given the price for a Glock with upgraded sights of $600-$650.

Feel free to recommend 1911s you have experience with. I will simply not recommend any and refer to experts on this that either tell me all about the modifications on their 1911s to make them run properly, or tell me to spend the money and get a real 1911. That's where my "high end" comment comes from. Now, you may think that "high end" means several thousand dollars in cost. I don't.

Think about it this way. The only thing that's wrong with Glocks from the factory are the sights. I always tell people to calculate buying and installing aftermarket sights into the price point when making a decision. I would never recommend Glocks if making them run correctly includes taking them to a gun smith or having a custom job done. Also, in that sense, a Glock clone that costs $1,000 would be a high-end Glock, given the price for a Glock with upgraded sights of $600-$650.

OK Timmy

all about the modifications on their 1911s to make them run properly,

Let me address this specifically. If a 1911 has to undergo extensive modification to run properly then it is by definition an inherently flawed design. Again an inherently flawed design wouldn't have remained popular for 100 years. If the basic design was flawed the Army would have found something else after WWI.

There may be certain companies (Para Ordance, Llamma, Kimber) who have a less than stellar reputation for quality control but to say that 1911s as a class of handguns are no good displays an abysmal lack of knowledge on your subject matter

Let me address this specifically. If a 1911 has to undergo extensive modification to run properly then it is by definition an inherently flawed design. Again an inherently flawed design wouldn't have remained popular for 100 years. If the basic design was flawed the Army would have found something else after WWI.

There may be certain companies (Para Ordance, Llamma, Kimber) who have a less than stellar reputation for quality control but to say that 1911s as a class of handguns are no good displays an abysmal lack of knowledge on your subject matter
I carry a Sig 938 for EDC and love the gun and the brand. I shot a friend's S&W Shield in 9mm a few months back and intend to get one to rotate my carry pieces. Its a great gun at their price point. I will always have a 1911 though and I have zero concerns about it being ready if it's ever needed.

The Place To Be

I said no such thing! You are twisting my words to fit your narrative. Not only that, you are partially citing a post that states "to spend the money and get a real 1911". I guess you are now joining the many posters that have to make up stuff to even have an argument. Good luck with that.

I carry a Sig 938 for EDC and love the gun and the brand. I shot a friend's S&W Shield in 9mm a few months back and intend to get one to rotate my carry pieces. Its a great gun at their price point. I will always have a 1911 though and I have zero concerns about it being ready if it's ever needed.

The Place To Be
I carry a Glock 43 (9mm) for EDC and also love the gun and the brand. Have to admit though that after being raised shooting the 1911(45 acp of course) I once thought that the Glock was just plain super ugly. Then I tried one. And like yourself, I too will always have a 1911 and have zero concerns about it being ready if ever needed.

I would try to find a range where you can rent them and start from there. You will quickly see which one you lean to.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I have a very nice Colt 1911 XSE Stainless with lots of custom work done to it. It is total Colt 1911 Perfection in my opinion. I do conceal carry it some of the time. When I put on my gun in a few minutes to head to town, What I will put on is a Glock 23 Gen IV with a TFO night sight, in an IWB holster. Off side will be a matching leather double magazine pouch. I have owned and carried Colt 1911's for the last 45 years. I am a Colt 1911 fan. I still conceal carry a Glock most of the time when carrying a semiautomatic pistol.
Why the Cheaper Glock? Lighter, smaller, and lots more fire power with 3 magazines. Colt 8+7+7 = 22 rounds, G23 13+12+12= 37 rounds. Note: I download my magazines one round for top off reloads. I can work on the Glock myself. The Colt requires a very competent gunsmith before they work on it. Glock magazines are inexpensive as compared to my #47 Wilson Combat magazines. The Glock is dependable as gravity, combat accurate, and economical to own and work on. What's not to like.
Bob R

I have two hand guns, not for sale. I have a Beretta Target 22 cal, and a Italian made Beretta Steel One, 9mm, not Inox, a Steel One. Great firearms, well made, reliable, and accurate. I'm told you cannot buy a Steel One in the USA any more, is that true?

Link Removed Link Removed

I've seen various discussions on caliber bantered around message forums since the dial-up BBS days in the mid-1980s. The most heated variety involves .45 ACP vs 9 mm.

I'll pitch my two cents if this thread takes off, but in the meantime, one of the other forum members posted a great link:

In a neophyte in the gun works dip I have to make my decisions based on expert advice. Here are the opinions from 14 of them

Link Removed

I'm no expert but my first carry was a Ruger LCP based on it's small size. (I didn't think I could conceal a larger gun) I now carry a Ruger LC9. I have yet to have anybody notice including my wife. I've only been carrying for a couple of years and feel that most name brand guns are reliable if maintained properly and you train on a regular basis with that firearm. If I were too but another gun it would probably be a double stack to gain the extra rounds. Most guns are easily concealed if you use the right holster. The limiting factor to me would be weight.

Sent from my [device_name] using USA Carry mobile app

I wouldn't buy a glock with Tactical Timmie's money, so if you are looking at the initial
selection only, I'd hazard that PPQ also looks suspiciously like a glock wannabe. If you can't handle the short
barreled 1911, I'd reconsider the choice paradigm.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back