Hurricane Matthew

Got power at 6:30 am! :D

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

We made out OK. Some of our neighbors had more damage, and downtown Charleston was a flooded mess. It could have been worse, and I'm glad that it wasn't.

I think Governor Haley did a good job with preparations. Some people might think it was overkill but as someone who experienced the disaster of surviving Hurricane Hugo and the debacle of the evacuation for Hurricane Floyd, I can say she did good. No Katrina bungling on her watch.

I have friends in Chas. Hubby is deaf, wife works Jedburg, have two kids. They had a whopping ZERO preps and rode it out. Hubby was out looking for Ice last PM. They are ok for now.
Another buddy, on the local Swiftwater Team, found out his dad's house was the 3rd to burn in MB group of houses. No one hurt, 6 structured burned, dad's burned to the ground. His dad bilateral below knew amputee.
Cousin and his girlchild are doing well, he is still housing his neighbors(they are lucky that he actually cares). He is well set up for long term OTG life. He's done well for himself and his kids. The funny thing is, we didn't realize we were related until this week, and only met via Forum recently. Both families are Appalachian, both of us live in SC, he's 150 miles +/- from me and we are both like minded. Dang curious how we both have about the same life path, though he's about 15 years older.
Anyway, Upstate SC no real issues, other than 1 shingle missing(not sure where it is from on the roof). Gotta climb up my radio mast to get on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bomb squad detonated Civil War ordnance found on Folly Beach
By Angie Jackson and Derek Asberry

Oct 9 2016 1:56 pm Oct 9 9:28 pm

The Charleston County Sheriff’s Office bomb squad is evaluating possible Civil War ordnance on Sunday that turned up on Folly Beach after Hurricane Matthew. PROVIDED/CHARLESTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Residents in Charleston, James Island and on Folly Beach likely heard a small-scale explosion Sunday evening when bomb squad officials detonated a Civil War ordnance that surfaced on Folly Beach during Hurricane Matthew.

The Charleston County Sheriff’s Office bomb squad began evaluating the ordnance after it was found on the beach near the end of East Ashley Avenue.

Link Removed

Eric Watson, a spokesman with the sheriff’s office, said officials began working the situation around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday but had to wait until after 7 p.m. to detonate due to the tide.

“We call it ‘rendering safe’ and we did that right there on the beach front,” Watson said. “They’re putting the dirt from the detonation back in the hole and they’re transporting the device to (Joint Base Charleston).”

The naval base was expected to receive and destroy the ordnance by the end of the night.

Link Removed

I have friends in Chas. Hubby is deaf, wife works Jedburg, have two kids. They had a whopping ZERO preps and rode it out. Hubby was out looking for Ice last PM. They are ok for now.
I'm glad that they're OK.

Another buddy, on the local Swiftwater Team, found out his dad's house was the 3rd to burn in MB group of houses. No one hurt, 6 structured burned, dad's burned to the ground. His dad bilateral below knew amputee.
That's really sad. :(

Cousin and his girlchild are doing well, he is still housing his neighbors(they are lucky that he actually cares). He is well set up for long term OTG life. He's done well for himself and his kids. The funny thing is, we didn't realize we were related until this week, and only met via Forum recently. Both families are Appalachian, both of us live in SC, he's 150 miles +/- from me and we are both like minded. Dang curious how we both have about the same life path, though he's about 15 years older.
Anyway, Upstate SC no real issues, other than 1 shingle missing(not sure where it is from on the roof). Gotta climb up my radio mast to get on the roof.
One shingle--not bad. :)

I'm glad that they're OK.

That's really sad. :(

One shingle--not bad. :)

Yes ma'am, kinda a few days of mixed emotions. Glad y'all fared pretty well, the cannonballs made the news up here, a cool find, but a bit of an anxious time for those guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Full Amtrak service thru the areas will be restored on Sunday. Won't get to see much as we go thru the area after dark. Good to hear you all are doing okay. Friend in Florida got his power back the other day. FPL crew was from Miami and they were working their way north. He is in the Daytona Beach area.

Full Amtrak service thru the areas will be restored on Sunday. Won't get to see much as we go thru the area after dark. Good to hear you all are doing okay. Friend in Florida got his power back the other day. FPL crew was from Miami and they were working their way north. He is in the Daytona Beach area.
Good news.

Some people in Lumberton, NC are getting their power back. As of a couple days ago they were routing I-95 traffic thru Fayetteville itself as they still had problems. Last I saw, they don't expect I-95 to be back to normal till next month in some areas. That makes for a heck of a mess as it is the main North-South route for the east coast.

It's going to be a while before everything is cleaned up and fixed up. Parts of SC are still flooded and inaccessible.

We were wondering why we haven't yet seen our weekly yard debris pickup by the city since the hurricane. Everyone's debris has been piling up since the storm. We found out that because our state was declared a disaster area the city isn't allowed to pick up the debris. FEMA is in charge and has to hire contractors to do the work. Just great! Blehhh!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back