Hurricane Matthew

Reba

Sinner saved by grace
Well, Governor Haley declared a state of emergency for SC. My area is included in the evacuation zone. We aren't evacuating but we need to begin preparing. Schools will be closed and lanes begin reversing tomorrow (Wednesday). Some stores are already out of propane, and gas lines are beginning to form.

After the nightmare evacuation we experienced for Hurricane Floyd we decided "never again." We stayed for Hurricane Hugo and survived, so we'll stay for this one, too. It might not even hit here.

Of course, this hurricane is effecting more than just my state. Florida has already begun their preparations. Island nations of Cuba, Bahamas and Haiti are already feeling it.

They say that this could be as bad as Hurricane Hazel in 1954. If you live on the east coast and can remember 1954 you know this something really bad coming out way. I was 10 years old when it hit Maryland and we had to evacuate our home and go to my grandmothers in town for almost a week. Lots of damage and deaths caused by that one. Hope this isn't as bad.

They say that this could be as bad as Hurricane Hazel in 1954. If you live on the east coast and can remember 1954 you know this something really bad coming out way. I was 10 years old when it hit Maryland and we had to evacuate our home and go to my grandmothers in town for almost a week. Lots of damage and deaths caused by that one. Hope this isn't as bad.
I hope it won't be so bad. We lived thru Hurricane Hugo in SC, 1989, and that was terrible.

On the way home tonight, Hubby stopped at Publix to buy a few things. He said that the store was mobbed with people but for the most part they were patient and friendly (normal for this area). However, there was one woman at the store yelling and screaming for a full 10 minutes, freaking out. She finally left.

Gas lines are about 1-1.5 hours of waiting. We were already gassed up, so we avoided that.

I can feel for you Reba. I was scheduled to go home Sat/Sun but looks like Amtrak may shut down the AutoTrain on Sat. Not too worried about our Florida home as it stood up to Andrew fairly well. Just don't want to live on generator power for weeks at a time again. FPL has been beefing up the local grid with new design concrete poles on the 3-phase lines. Where they used to plant them 7 feet into the rock, they now are planted 11 feet in. The wooden pole that was put in when our house was built in 1978 is still standing even after all these years. It has a slight lean to it thanks to Andrew. House was dead center of the eye. Anything less than a Cat 5 and we should be good.

I can feel for you Reba. I was scheduled to go home Sat/Sun but looks like Amtrak may shut down the AutoTrain on Sat. Not too worried about our Florida home as it stood up to Andrew fairly well. Just don't want to live on generator power for weeks at a time again. FPL has been beefing up the local grid with new design concrete poles on the 3-phase lines. Where they used to plant them 7 feet into the rock, they now are planted 11 feet in. The wooden pole that was put in when our house was built in 1978 is still standing even after all these years. It has a slight lean to it thanks to Andrew. House was dead center of the eye. Anything less than a Cat 5 and we should be good.
Yes, Florida has done a lot since Andrew to beef up the infrastructure and building codes.

At least you have a generator. :D

Our house was built in 1989, and was hit by Hugo that same year. It got some damage and lots of fallen trees but nothing dire. We had other friends who lost their houses and vehicles.

Some people don't realize that no power also means no traffic lights (for the few left hanging), no sewer pumps, no water pumps, no gas pumps, no ATM's, no internet, in addition to the expected no lights, no AC, no TV, for possibly weeks.

We had National Guard and curfews after Hugo.

It was a weird world to wake up to. (Hugo hit us at night.)

Just now on FoxNews they're showing the reversed lane traffic right outside my town. Only one-way traffic on all lanes now.

Just now on FoxNews they're showing the reversed lane traffic right outside my town. Only one-way traffic on all lanes now.
Well I don't get to go home till Wednesday/Thursday as Amtrak annulled the AutoTrain for Saturday. Which means I'll get back just in time to clean up after part two.

Well I don't get to go home till Wednesday/Thursday as Amtrak annulled the AutoTrain for Saturday. Which means I'll get back just in time to clean up after part two.

Oh, man. I hope you don't find too much mess at home. Do you have a place to stay until then?

Oh, man. I hope you don't find too much mess at home. Do you have a place to stay until then?
Yes we have a place to stay. Looks like I won't even have much to clean up in the yard as I talked to a neighbor tonight. Winds never got high and little rain. For us anything like what happened today is just like a summer rain storm. Power is still on and isolated from the rest of the east side of the state so the nukes stay up. They are sensitive to line variants and by taking them out of the system north of us keeps the south end of the state powered up. So we came thru fine. Don't know how friends in Jupiter are doing though.

Take care because it is heading your way but has weakened to a Cat 3.

This is from our local councilman for our county:

"UPDATE (1:30pm)

NWS just announced to expect Cat 2 hurricane winds in the eastern half of Dorchester county. This is a major change from earlier with only tropical storm winds expected. The storm has shifted west.

Make preparations or evacuate safely immediately.

Update: per our emergency meeting with our EMD director, expect sustained winds of over 100mph from 5am-11am [Saturday]. Public safety vehicles are no longer on the roads when sustain winds exceed 39mph. Expect tropical force winds after 6pm tonight [Friday]. The eye of the storm is expected to pass within 10 miles of Charleston harbor. Do not take this storm lightly. If you are not prepared you need to strongly consider evacuation immediately."

We're staying.

If you are near Charleston, it would be better to get out. Storm surge of up to 12' is expected.

We live 25 miles from the ocean, about a 45-minute drive; probably less as the crow flies.

The wind and rain have begun. Not strong yet.

We have a 6 pm curfew in my county, starting tonight.

We live 25 miles from the ocean, about a 45-minute drive; probably less as the crow flies.

The wind and rain have begun. Not strong yet.

We have a 6 pm curfew in my county, starting tonight.

I have family in Givahns Ferry, he's on high ground. He plucks folks off of their roofs after a big storm. Did it with the 1k year flood last, even got a deputy of of his roof. He's staying, had 2 looters last PM, at the neighbors place. Neighbor heard his John Deere fire up, grabbed his good 'ole 12ga. Exited his residence, fired a couple of shots at the "thugs". He hit both, one had 8 00 pellets in his butt cheek, the other hit the swamp, headed towards the Edisto. Sheriff came out, hooked up the now crying and begging "thug a", Cousin (retired Army/Navy both) tracked the obvious blood trail to the swamp never found thug 2.
The messed with the wrong farmer, Good Old Jar Head from Korea and Vietnam. Cousin did most of his time in South America, both are salty guys. Sheriff said "thanks for stopping those two, if we don't find him tonight look for the buzzards when the storm clears."
Cousin has been feeding the NG guys above his house. 2-4 at post now, started as two. After a good meal of mudbugs, both crews showed up for the next two meals. Steak and taters, homemade veggies and the next was a mudbug stew. They almost waited the storm out with him.
He started losing power about 21:00, the guys at Santee Cooper said that they were running minimum power below him, they were told to get their families inside the dam, keep em there. They were expecting 19" of rain, which came as a shock to them.
The SC HEART system is active statewide. I'll post a link to the repeaters below. SCEMD, NWS Chas., and multiple shelters and storm spotters are on frequency. Pick the closest to you, you should hear a good many updates. NWS, and EMD call for storm reports every 1-4 hours now. More as it worsens. Stay safe, I'm Upstate so we should be good here. Cousin will call with updates, and if I need to come down with supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The people in a house up the street moved here from SC about a year ago. I noticed when I was walking the dog there are now 6 or 7 cars in front of their house with SC plates. It's a little breezy and cloudy here, one of the advantages of living in the mountains.

The people in a house up the street moved here from SC about a year ago. I noticed when I was walking the dog there are now 6 or 7 cars in front of their house with SC plates. It's a little breezy and cloudy here, one of the advantages of living in the mountains.
Watch out for the rain that is coming or there already. It can make for some fast rising waters. You people can't handle a 15" rainfall like we do down in S. Florida.

oldditchdoctor, need to get the neighbor a better gun. He only was 50% successful. ;)

Watch out for the rain that is coming or there already. It can make for some fast rising waters. You people can't handle a 15" rainfall like we do down in S. Florida.

oldditchdoctor, need to get the neighbor a better gun. He only was 50% successful. ;)

Maybe, still haven't found #2, just his blood trail. Too wet and windy for buzzards, there are Alligator Snapping Turtles in that black water, maybe maybe a Gator, and definitely 'possum on tha half shell.
Sheriff said they eventually find something, or take a missing persons report. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there Reba. In the next few days you will be inundated with power company trucks. FPL which is our power company in some counties has better than 3/4 of their customers without power but expect to have most back up by late Sunday. Once the power companies get a grip on their outages they will head off to other areas as part of the mutual aid pacts that they and most Southern states have.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back