How to take care of your weapon!

Graylon

Ok I'm new to the gun owning world and have a fnx 45 that's a little over 2 months old and she is my pride and joy. I read a lot about oiling, rusting and storage. I wondering because I always clean mine but never store anywhere because I always have it with me in my sticky holster. Is this good for the gun?

I meant to title the thread How to take care of your weapon.

After shooting clean it well ( I use Hoppe's #9) then oil/grease it. Then wipe the exterior with a silicone cloth. This should keep it in nice shape.
Usually with a new gun I also wipe down the exterior with some BreakFree CLP to give it a coat of protection also.
:triniti:

After shooting clean it well ( I use Hoppe's #9) then oil/grease it. Then wipe the exterior with a silicone cloth. This should keep it in nice shape.

Usually with a new gun I also wipe down the exterior with some BreakFree CLP to give it a coat of protection also.
:triniti:
that's exactly what I do word for word... I have been thinking about trying this frog oil stuff.... they say u can use it for everything

that's exactly what I do word for word... I have been thinking about trying this frog oil stuff.... they say u can use it for everything

I've been using FrogLube... I like it a lot. Feel a bit safer using that with dogs, cats and a kid around.

I found this test of rust preventatives for firearms useful: The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test

For those using HOPPE's #9, which exact product (name) are you using? HOPPE's #9 is a product line.

I am using:
  • M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner for cleaning
  • Breakfree CLP for cleaning & rust protection
  • HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil for lubrication
  • Tetra Gun Grease for lubrication
For a quick cleaning after a range trip, I am field stripping the gun and cleaning it with Breakfree CLP. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at specific points using a Q-tip.

For a more deep cleaning (every 6-12 months), I am detail stripping the gun (including magazines) and clean all parts with M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner. Then I apply Breakfree CLP to those parts. I apply a small amount of Tetra Gun Grease to specific internal points using a Q-tip. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at the same specific points as in the quick cleaning process using a Q-tip.

Here are a number of tips:
  • Detail stripping your gun too often can wear out pins. Don't detail strip your gun after every range trip. However, detail stripping also helps to identify wear and tear, which is important for parts replacement.
  • Don,t "clean" your gun with lubricating oil. (That's why my question above about HOPPE's #9.) Lubricating oil is not a solvent. It also can cause malfunctions if applied to the wrong places. Never put lubricating oil in the barrel or the firing pin channel.
  • Gun grease vs. gun oil: There is lot's of information on the internet about that. I am using grease on the parts that I won't clean and oil regularly, but need lubrication (the extractor spring/channel for example).
  • How much oil and which parts to oil: RTFM. Also, to quote James Yeager, people tend to overlube their handguns and underlube their rifles.
  • If you carry IWB without a barrier between the metal parts of your gun and your body, wipe down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP regularly (daily or weekly) to remove sweat deposits.
  • ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED WHEN CLEANING, even when just wiping down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP.

I found this test of rust preventatives for firearms useful: The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test

For those using HOPPE's #9, which exact product (name) are you using? HOPPE's #9 is a product line.

I am using:
  • M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner for cleaning
  • Breakfree CLP for cleaning & rust protection
  • HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil for lubrication
  • Tetra Gun Grease for lubrication
For a quick cleaning after a range trip, I am field stripping the gun and cleaning it with Breakfree CLP. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at specific points using a Q-tip.

For a more deep cleaning (every 6-12 months), I am detail stripping the gun (including magazines) and clean all parts with M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner. Then I apply Breakfree CLP to those parts. I apply a small amount of Tetra Gun Grease to specific internal points using a Q-tip. Then I apply a small amount of HOPPE's #9 Lubricating Oil at the same specific points as in the quick cleaning process using a Q-tip.

Here are a number of tips:
  • Detail stripping your gun too often can wear out pins. Don't detail strip your gun after every range trip. However, detail stripping also helps to identify wear and tear, which is important for parts replacement.
  • Don,t "clean" your gun with lubricating oil. (That's why my question above about HOPPE's #9.) Lubricating oil is not a solvent. It also can cause malfunctions if applied to the wrong places. Never put lubricating oil in the barrel or the firing pin channel.
  • Gun grease vs. gun oil: There is lot's of information on the internet about that. I am using grease on the parts that I won't clean and oil regularly, but need lubrication (the extractor spring/channel for example).
  • How much oil and which parts to oil: RTFM. Also, to quote James Yeager, people tend to overlube their handguns and underlube their rifles.
  • If you carry IWB without a barrier between the metal parts of your gun and your body, wipe down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP regularly (daily or weekly) to remove sweat deposits.
  • ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED WHEN CLEANING, even when just wiping down the outside of your gun with Breakfree CLP.

I use the Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner and clp free... ive heard not to put lubricating oil in the bore. Why is that? As for right now I just field strip and clean with those cleaners. But the ones you mentioned I will be on the lookout for. I was looking for a couple more tips. Thanks for the advice.

I use the Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner and clp free... ive heard not to put lubricating oil in the bore. Why is that? As for right now I just field strip and clean with those cleaners. But the ones you mentioned I will be on the lookout for. I was looking for a couple more tips. Thanks for the advice.

AFAIK, oil in the bore does not act like a lubricant. As the bullet is getting pushed down the barrel, the amount of oil that gets between the bullet and the barrel wall practically expands the projectile diameter (bullet together with the oil) and slows the bullet down. This increases the pressure behind the bullet and can lead to barrel failures, especially in high-powered rifles. It can also lead to a stuck bullet in anything low-powered, like a 22lr. In the best case scenario, the barrel just heats up quicker.

Breakfree CLP is OK for barrels as it is not an oil-based lubricant.

The only reason you'd run an oiled patch down the bore is if you are storing the weapon for an extended period, and/or you live in a high humidity area.

It would help if we know where you were at, your rust prevention requirements are obviously going to be different in Georgia V. Arizona

I use the Hoppe's 9 bore cleaner and clp free... ive heard not to put lubricating oil in the bore. Why is that?

Because the bullet is a very tight fit to the bore. Oil on the bore decreases the ID of the bore and increases pressure.

I agree, I only use a small amount of BreakFree CLP inside the bore to prevent rust. On the slide rails I use either RemOil:victory: or if shooting a lot of rounds I will use Tetra Gun Grease. My guns have always worked well. :victory:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back