How to make the shift?

harleyhunter

How besides just voting pro-gun politicians in can we as a state go about creating waves and trying to make NY a "shall issue" state from a "may issue" state?

-sam

How besides just voting pro-gun politicians in can we as a state go about creating waves and trying to make NY a "shall issue" state from a "may issue" state?

-sam

I am making changes to the Oklahoma gun laws so I am familiar with this. This what you do to get started:

Go to your state web page and get the email list for every member of your state House, then e-mail each one telling them what you want, what organizations you belong to and why you feel it is important;

Include your phone number and address;

In the e-mail let them know you are looking for a sponsor for a bill which would make the changes you discuss in your email;

Let them know you would appreciate their assistance and guidance;

State that you would like to perhaps meet with them to discuss your recomendations or if not, a phone conference.

Thank them for thier public service;

Let them know you monitor their voting record;

Mention that you can organize a large number of friends (hence all the organizations you belong to) and that you are willing to strongly support those that represent your concerns but that you also strongly work against those that do not. Be careful how you word this. You are trying to get them to help you:)

Meanwile, write the Governor and ask if he would be willing to sign such a bill.

Then Wait for a response. If you don't get one, send another one requesting a response.

If still nothing, call thier offices and request a writen response;

If you get a positive response from the Governor, once again, email everyone and let them know you have the Governor's support (this can create interest as no one likes to work on a bill that does not have a chance of being signed:)

If none, get all your friends (no matter what state they are from) to email the same list of representatives expressing their support.

Once you get a sponsor, and a bill is put together to your satisfaction, send an email to the same list of representatives explaining what the bill is (Mention it by bill number so they know what the bill is) and that you would appreciate their support, sill be monitoring who supports the bill, yada, yada, yada. Have your firends do this too.

Most States require the Bill to be filed prior to the start of the legislative year so it may not happen right away, but sometimes they can add the verbiage to an existing bill if their is some other bill regarding firearms. Also most representatives are limited in how many bills they can submit so you have to make sure they understand there are many voters behind it.

Just have paticence, be polite and be persistant.

Some times it is hard, sometimes it is so easy it will amaze you, espically if you find a rep that has the same thought or is looking for a bill to support that will make them popular with the voting public!

What you are trying to do is let every representative know that there are votes in them thar hills!

Good luck and let us know any progress you make! You CAN make this happen if yo want it bad enough!

Those are some great tips, but let me make one suggestion. While email is nice and easy, I would send a letter by US Mail as well. It is more formal, and can in my opinion have better results.

In addition to letters, you can call your representatives, or even set up meetings with them.

Those are some great tips, but let me make one suggestion. While email is nice and easy, I would send a letter by US Mail as well. It is more formal, and can in my opinion have better results.

In addition to letters, you can call your representatives, or even set up meetings with them.

Hey Sights, you are correct in mentioning the letter route. I kind of blocked that out because I sent out letters as well but never recieved one single letter back that delt with my suggestions. they were all generic office lettters; "thank you for your interest blah, blah, blah.

I actually got an e-mail response from almost every rep. I am in my early 50s and letters were just the "right" way to follow up, but I am not so sure now. I think the reps are all pretty busy and e-mail is just a lot easier for them (or their aids) to follow. Also, it sure is a lot cheaper, it's amazing how much you can spend on postage. I, personnaly save the mail for special follow-ups, thank yous, ect. once they have earned it :)

I put only what worked for me in this e-mail so I appreciate your input. What worked for me may not work for everyone and it is definetly best to cover all the bases.

One thing I missed was int the original message from HarleyRider was that he was from NY! Harleyrider, you will have a much harder time since you are from NY but the same steps apply. Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight. No matter where you are from, you just have to make the representative know there are votes to be had or that it will not be good for job security if he does not support ANY bill. It is all numbers and perception.

Turning New York to a "shall issue" state will be very difficult. There are many liberal areas of NY, and even sponsoring a bill like this could very well be political suicide. I feel strongly that we need to hold ground in NY at this point. As you can see from the bills introduced, they want to take rights away. I recently wrote a bunch of letters to my state senators and assemblyman looking to include official training into the exceptions of possession of a pistol. While I think that still may be a long shot, it may have a chance to at least get brought up.

Remember though, when you are writing letters and emails, most of them will be read and responded to by aids. Many of these aids are volunteers and college students. Don't be afraid to set up actual meetings or telephone your representative. He or she is your voice in the legislative process; do not go unheard. Another great way is to invite your representatives to a dinner at your local gun club or to an organization function. Not only does it look good for them to be mingling with constituents, but you will have an opportunity to talk on your terms. The problem will be though is during an election year, politicians are far less likely to sponsor and vote for controversial legislation during an election year.

Finally, if your representative refuses to listen to you, you have the power to elect somebody else. Tell them this if they refuse to listed, but don't tell them that YOU won't vote for them. Tell them you will personally organize a movement of 2a supporters against them. Politicians are not worried about one voter, but many voters terrify them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back