How much is to much

JohnLM

I want ask a question for those who have been into shooting for a while. I recently have gotten into shooting. I have been shooting now for about two years. I usually go to the range about twice a week. Tuesday and Saturdays are my days. Is this to much ware on the gun?? I have read some threads where they say say they go once or twice a month. Can I have some HONEST input please?? THANKS

When your house is foreclosed on because your mortgage money went to ammo, that's too much.

Who cares if you wear your gun out, buy another.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Some guns can handle more rounds down the tube than others.

There are sooooo many ways to answer your question.

Have more than just a couple guns to spread out the wear.

Keep current on your carry gun but blast away with all your others if that's what you like.

If you can afford to shoot, and that's what trips your trigger, keep on doing it. There is nothing worse in life than getting to the point where you realized that you saved so much to do until you got old.

Do the things you love to do now while you have the time and resources. If you still have the time when you get older, keep doing it when you get older. The time flies so much faster and you will be wishing you'd done more of the things you love to do.

I keep a barrel and some springs for some of the guns I know I will shoot a lot and then spread the fun out over all the rest as time allows.

Bottom line, yes, rounds do put wear on a gun. Keep it lubricated and cleaned. Don't be shooting +P's all the time just for fun and inspect the gun regularly..

That's my 2cents!

KK

Some guns can handle more rounds down the tube than others.

There are sooooo many ways to answer your question.

Have more than just a couple guns to spread out the wear.

Keep current on your carry gun but blast away with all your others if that's what you like.

If you can afford to shoot, and that's what trips your trigger, keep on doing it. There is nothing worse in life than getting to the point where you realized that you saved so much to do until you got old.

Do the things you love to do now while you have the time and resources. If you still have the time when you get older, keep doing it when you get older. The time flies so much faster and you will be wishing you'd done more of the things you love to do.

I keep a barrel and some springs for some of the guns I know I will shoot a lot and then spread the fun out over all the rest as time allows.

Bottom line, yes, rounds do put wear on a gun. Keep it lubricated and cleaned. Don't be shooting +P's all the time just for fun and inspect the gun regularly..

That's my 2cents!

KK

Thats good information, THANKS, I have five guns that I alternate for CC. Once again thanks for your input!!

How many rounds fired per trip to the range? Cheap gun in .22 or expensive gun in .45. If your arm hurts after the range time, then you may want to cut back. By the way, a Moisin Nagant M-44 with Seller and Bellot 180gr 7.62X54R will make you think you've been there too long after about 10 rounds.

I want ask a question for those who have been into shooting for a while. I recently have gotten into shooting. I have been shooting now for about two years. I usually go to the range about twice a week. Tuesday and Saturdays are my days. Is this to much ware on the gun?? I have read some threads where they say say they go once or twice a month. Can I have some HONEST input please?? THANKS

Can't resist! 'to much ware' should be, 'too much wear'. (OK!) ;)

When I'm in top form with a pistol, I'll fire between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds every month. Keep your pistol clean and properly maintained. It will be fine. In my experience the average useful life of a modern stainless steel pistol is between 75 to 100 thousand fired rounds. On a polymer frame pistol that number reduces to between 40 and 60 thousand rounds.

Sure, either material can go farther; but, this can only be done with reduced accuracy as well as an increase risk of unreliability. Yes, I know Chuck Taylor has pushed a 2nd gen. G-17 beyond 300 thousand rounds; but I'm also aware that numerous large police agencies begin retiring their polymer frame pistols at and around the 40 - 45 thousand round mark. (There are reasons!)

As for alloy frame pistols? Over the years I've heard alloy frame pistols reported to function without frame cracks up to something like 40 or 50 thousands rounds. After 50 thousand rounds an alloy frame should be retired; and, again in my experience, most alloy frame agency pistols are.

Thats good information, THANKS, I have five guns that I alternate for CC. Once again thanks for your input!!

Five guns? You shouldn't be doing that! I shoot a lot; I'm able to: quickly draw, expeditiously clear, and accurately point shoot one of my regular carry pistols, 'in my sleep'. So what do I carry everyday?

During the first 25 years, or so, I carried mostly 1911 pattern, and a few Browning P-35 type pistols. Then - after it was repeatedly pointed out to me that I was at risk of losing one of my $3,000.00 dollar pistols if I ever had to actually use it, 'on the street' - I decided to go with a, 'cheap' Glock.

(Which, by force of habit, I quickly turned into a really expensive Glock; AND, I dearly loved the fact that I could do this all by myself without one of my high-priced 1911 pistolsmiths having to help out!)

For the past 10 years I've used one secondary and two primary pistols: A primary Glock Model 21, a Glock Model 19, and a secondary Beretta Model 3032. I regularly practice and remain, 'blindfolded proficient' with each.

At close range (inside 7 yards) I really am able to hit a man-sized target with my eyes, literally, closed. How? Well, first, I have to get one good visual index on the target. Then, by frequent and constant practice with the exact same pistols, over and over again, I'm able to accurately place my shots by just the way the pistol, 'feels' in my hand. (I've done this many times.)

I'm, also, able to clear stoppages and break down one of these pistols in exactly the same way. I don't need for my eyes to be open.

This is going to sound like a smartass remark...but...

If you can afford the amount of ammunition it takes to wear out your gun...then really, you can afford a new barrel or a new gun when the time comes.

So stop sweating it. And go shoot.

IF I HAD YOUR MONEY I WOULD BURN MINE .....HAHA......U buy them to shoot them so shoot them tilll the slide falls off.

All good answers. I wish I could afford to shoot that much! Once a month about does it for me and my wife and we take 2-3 guns each to the range. Remember, those components are replaceable , so if, for instance, the barrel is showing wear, order a new one from the manufacturer and replace it yourself.

Even at 2 trips per month and (2x500) 1000 rounds per month, you are going to take a long time to wear out a quality pistol. If you figure a very limited 20k on pistol, outside of springs and magazines, there is not a whole lot to replace. Ejector? Barrel? And that would be one pistol.

I do log all my rounds fired and from what type of weapon just for good measure.

:sarcastic:Go shoot.

how much is to much?

Sounds like you need a better (higher quality) Gun...oh ya, i agree with the foreclosure notice, ii would say that counts.

If you are new to shooting then you are working of marksmanship, do not forget dry fire practice, much can be learned from this, trigger control, sight picture.
After we get to where we can keep a good group size or focus changes. Where before we were trying to get out group sizes smaller but you make a new goal now i.e., double taps, loading a magazine with a dummy road for immediate action drill , working with two or more targets, or movement while shooting. I do not know what your goals are but your focus will change over time.
Keep in mind practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect.

I shoot every day that the weather allows. If my Beretta or Springfield Armory weapons wear out then I'll have an excuse to buy the new versions. I don't see a down side here.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back