How much ammo do you carry.

cabrera

I'm just curious to how members in various parts of the country answer this.
When you daily carry (not hunting or shooting) concealed or open carry, how much ammo do you also carry and why?

There is no right or wrong answer but I'm curious as to the differences in demographics.

I'm in suburban Virginia, usually I only carry the magazine in the gun (15). My reason is I really can't foresee a firefight or situation which would require more than that.

With my S&W .357 revolver, I did carry an extra speed loader.

i always have atleast one extra magazine.basically becuase... you never know. if where i am going is suspect and new to me i carry two.

I too live in Va but you may want to consider this. The weakest link in an auto is usually the magazine. If it fails you can always drop it and put in another one, IF you have that extra one with you. Things break and fail to work at the most inopportune times. Plus, bad guys have evolved to the point of traveling in groups so it's easier to rob, rape, etc. I carry an extra mag so I have 17 plus one plus 17 more if it comes to that.

I too live in Va but you may want to consider this. The weakest link in an auto is usually the magazine. If it fails you can always drop it and put in another one, IF you have that extra one with you. Things break and fail to work at the most inopportune times. Plus, bad guys have evolved to the point of traveling in groups so it's easier to rob, rape, etc. I carry an extra mag so I have 17 plus one plus 17 more if it comes to that.

You make an EXCELLENT point... Equipment Failure. Being still in "revolver" mentality, I never thought much of that. I could have 1 round misfire but not the entire cylinder. Thank you for opening my eyes to that.:eek:

Anyone else?

When you daily carry (not hunting or shooting) concealed or open carry, how much ammo do you also carry and why?

There is no right or wrong answer but I'm curious as to the differences in demographics.

I'm in suburban Virginia, usually I only carry the magazine in the gun (15). My reason is I really can't foresee a firefight or situation which would require more than that.

Currently, Kahr P45 and two extra magazines, total rounds 19 Rem 185 Gr JHP. I carry the same setup open or concealed. Sometimes I only have one carrier one with or one without a flashlight.

When I take my Glock 17, one extra magazine, total rounds 35, I have one carrier with and one without a flashlight.

Glock 21 one extra magazine, total rounds 27, just the way I like it.

Colt 1911, one or two extra depending on which holster and magazine carrier, total round count 17 or 25. Just the way I like it.

Single action revolver, Ruger, one reload in a Quickstrip by Tuff, total round count 12. Slow reloading so if it's not over in six I'm pretty well done anyway.

Double action revolver, two reloads in Quickstrips, total round count 18. Just the way I like it. I used to use HKS or Safariland Speed loaders but they are bulky and the Quickstrips fit in a pocked or thin carrier.

I've been using a Wilderness Safepacker a lot recently, for different guns. It has a space for an extra magazine and doesn't look like a holster. I think I may go to that most of the time when carrying concealed.

Last edited:
When I carry a semi auto, I carry 1 spare mag with another one in the truck.

Why?

Because I don't trust 1 mag enough to bet my life on the fact that it will work. One stays on my hip and the other is in the truck because it's easier to reach console and grab it than it would be to get to the one on my hip due to the way my truck is laid out and where my mag pouches are worn.

When I carry a wheel gun, I carry 2 speed loaders on me in different pockets on opposite sides of my body.

There's also 2 more loaded with self defense ammunition in the truck along with one loaded with LFP reloads and one loaded with snake shot for the wheel gun I keep in the truck for the truck gun. So technically, I carry 6 reloads when I carry a wheel gun but only 2 are on my person. Speed loaders are cheap if compared to semi auto mags ($10 or less for a HKS speed loader compared to $25+ for a decent aftermarket or OEM mag) and last forever if you don't do anything astoundingly stupid to them. And it's easier to reach into the console and grab a speed loader than it would be to dig one out of a coat pocket. (I own 2 versions of the same gun, one DA/SA with adjustable sights and the other DAO with fixed sights. The adjustable stays in the truck and the DAO is my preferred carry gun along with my Para P.13-45.)

Why?

If I need to reload (and that's not likely, statistically speaking), there's no guarantee that both arms are going to be functioning. Something as small as a speed loader in a pocket on your opposite side is going to be hard to get to in a hurry.

When carrying .45, mag of 13 +1 in pipe, plus 1 spare mag of 13 + 2 mags of 13 in vehicle.
When carrying .380 auto, 1 mag of 6 + 1 in pipe, plus 2 mags of 6, plus the .45 in vehicle.
Murphy was a good teacher, and an optimist.

Live in the Hoosier Hinterlands north of Louisville, and work in a bad part of Louisville...

Last edited:
1 extra mag
Not sure how some folks can keep track of what one they are carrying at the time and how many rounds it holds, how the action/etc. works.
But then again a troll recently suggested I carry incindiary and tracer rounds simply because I choose to carry a mix of JHP and FMJ.
Bottom line folks if it works for you it works!

Full mag plus one in the chamber. I have never carried a spare mag for concealed carry, probably never will. My bad. :pleasantry:

Depends what I am carrying. My FiveSeven holds 20 so I don't carry any extra. I do carry an extra mag with my Glock 30, kahr pm40. I picked up a ruger lcp 380, but haven't decided if I will carry it yet, but if so, then yes to an extra mag(it only came with one mag though):mad:.

G-27 no spare mag but 95% of the time have 380 as a bug, also, G-21 with spare in car, G-36 with spare when on bike in saddle bag, along with G-27 in side holster

Depends what I am carrying. My FiveSeven holds 20 so I don't carry any extra. I do carry an extra mag with my Glock 30, kahr pm40. I picked up a ruger lcp 380, but haven't decided if I will carry it yet, but if so, then yes to an extra mag(it only came with one mag though):mad:.

No extra mag with my Five Seven. Twenty in the magazine, and one in the chamber should be enough if the magazine doesn't fail. I have been thinking of carrying one more magazine in case of the magazine failure, but haven't decided yet as I have no place to carry it except for my pocket which isn't ideal.

That depends on what handgun I carry. If it is a single stack, I like three. If it is a double stack, I carry two.

No extra mag with my Five Seven. Twenty in the magazine, and one in the chamber should be enough if the magazine doesn't fail. I have been thinking of carrying one more magazine in case of the magazine failure, but haven't decided yet as I have no place to carry it except for my pocket which isn't ideal.

Cheaper Than Dirt has a number of decent black nylon spare mag holders with the velcro closure straps. They are around ten bucks too. :biggrin:

Demographics

All:

The answers are helpful, but I think most have left out the DEMOGRAPHIC info that the OP was looking for....

I live in a medium sized town in Michigan. I work in the urban area and live in the suburbs. I carry a Kahr MK9 (6+1) and a spare mag (6 ct).

I have read on other forums that a phone is more useful than a spare mag, but I agree with others about Murphy's Law and the likelihood of failures due to faulty magazines. Besides, it is always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I do still make sure to have my phone with me at all times.

Not that it couldn't happen, but I have never heard of a FiveSeven Mag failing. They have pretty damn good quality control(I guess good enough to stake my life on it ;) )

I live on the border about 7 miles north of Mexico, and geography does play into my carry. Those signs that have made the news recently warning people of illegal and smuggling activities are all over the areas we like to explore. Around the house and in town I carry 1911 1+8 and 2 spare 8 rd mags on me, with a Maxpedition sling pack with 8 more loaded 8 rd mags.

The wife and I like to get out in the bush on and explore the back roads all along the border, for those trips the 1911, 10 mags an M4 Flattop (ACOG 3x sight with Red Dot on top) with 6 - 30 round mags in the Maxpedition plus a ScatterGun Technologies 12 ga. With 25 slugs and 25 000 Buck loads. The extra mags for the 1911 and M4 and shotgun loads are in the Maxpedition sling pack. Wife carries her Sig with 1 + 15 and 2 spare 15 round mags.

We each have a 3 liter Camelback and the usual fire, signaling, med kit ect.

A buddy of mine is a Border Patrol supervisor down here, the stories and information he has is downright spooky. While border crossings by illegal’s are down, they are seeing a much higher percentage of violent felons that have been previously convicted in the US or Mexico. The dope smugglers are a higher percentage of their business and they are getting shot at regularly from the Mexican side as well as the US side. If the American public actually knew of the situation on the southern border Janet Napolitano would tossed out of office on her butt.

We all need to appreciate the BP, those guys do a thankless job, and our government does not support them. I it did we would have a fence along the Mexican border like the Israeli’s have along the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Janet Napolitano was a useless Governor of Arizona and as Head Of Homeland Security you would think she works for the Mexicans.:mad:

Locked and Loaded on the Border

Steve

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back