How does an old fat guy carry concealed in the summer?

:dance3:I'm at least 20 pounds over weight. With conceal carry finally [almost] legal here in Wisconsin this has been a real concern for me. Just another reason to get healthy I guess.

I find that a Sticky Holster Big Mouth option works for me.
I wear the equivalent to gym shorts and a tank top around the house.
I have tucked in my waistband at 3:00 a XD9sc and it surprisingly stays put.
I can draw smoothly and the holster stays put.
The Big Mouth option makes it easier to re-holster.
I'm very impressed with it.

I wear suspenders under my untucked polo shirt. They're Link Removed that use a kind of J hook to attach to your belt. No clips to slip and ping you in the back of the head. They are also available at WalMart. Coupled with a Wilderness Instructors belt I carry OWB to alleviate pressure on my back.

ScoutGunner, welcome to the forum. We would be better able to answer your question if we knew more about your disability and the gun you intend to carry concealed. About your disability, are you able to walk or are you in a wheel-chair, even occasionally? If/when ambulatory, do you use an aid such as a cane or crutch? If you use an aid, is it used with your strong hand or support hand? Lots of help available in this forum...just need a little more info on your situation.

I wear Link Removed under my shirt hooked to a Wilderness Instructors Belt. The belt is as important as a good holster. The suspenders take the weight off your hips.

Not a bad idea. I might be able to squeeze my iphone in there also.
A few months ago I bought the NRA 5.11 Select Carry Pistol Pouch. Similar to a fanny pack it holds a small/medium handgun, a knife, extra clips, and has a few other pockets for keys, money, etc. Not a perfect solution though; It is generally my "last resort" choice.

Lost my right leg as results of Vietnam. I had a C-leg prosthetic and can get around quite a bit, but range is cut short by asthma (Agent Orange) and bad back (1st helicopter crash). I use a Rascal electric 4-wheeled scooter to get around malls and such and have been tempted to mount a mg on the front of it. Mall folks can get quite rude. When walking I sometimes use a nice cane given to me by a friend in MOPH. I am thinking the Aloha shirt is a really good idea with belted shorts. Ya'll have come up with some really good ideas although I had to look up the initials for some of them. Thanks much.

ScoutGunner, welcome to the forum. We would be better able to answer your question if we knew more about your disability and the gun you intend to carry concealed. About your disability, are you able to walk or are you in a wheel-chair, even occasionally? If/when ambulatory, do you use an aid such as a cane or crutch? If you use an aid, is it used with your strong hand or support hand? Lots of help available in this forum...just need a little more info on your situation.

I find that a Sticky Holster Big Mouth option works for me.
I wear the equivalent to gym shorts and a tank top around the house.
I have tucked in my waistband at 3:00 a XD9sc and it surprisingly stays put.
I can draw smoothly and the holster stays put.
The Big Mouth option makes it easier to re-holster.
I'm very impressed with it.

So, from just this thread I have found the shirts I need (Ordered 4 of them) and another holster I need (ordered the Big Mouth). That is why I love this site.

I am a fan of the Miami classic holster under a Columbia Bonehead fishing shirt. The holster itself is interchangeable along with 2 mag pouches on the other side.

Shoulder rig with an undershirt and button up over it. My step dad is 6 foot 300ibs and that's how he carries his Sig 239

I am 69 and pushing 70 hard. I am also a little overweight (aren't we all?). I pocket carry about 99% of the time as I personally don't like IWB or OWB carry. I carry a 9mm Taurus 709 in my left front pocket loaded with Hornady Critical Defense FTX rounds. In my right front pocket I carry my TCP/738 loaded with .380 Hornady Critical Defense FTX rounds.

I am 69 and pushing 70 hard. I am also a little overweight (aren't we all?). I pocket carry about 99% of the time as I personally don't like IWB or OWB carry. I carry a 9mm Taurus 709 in my left front pocket loaded with Hornady Critical Defense FTX rounds. In my right front pocket I carry my TCP/738 loaded with .380 Hornady Critical Defense FTX rounds.

Good lord man! How do you keep your pants from falling down? :p

I salute you, ScoutGunner, and all other vets at this site, for your sacrifices in Vietnam (and elsewhere). My son-in-law's dad suffers from effects of A.O. and makes frequent trips to the VA hospital here in ME. Sounds like you've got your solution to your carry issue. This thread got me thinking. I'm soon to be 55 and feel like I gain weight every day. If I get a pair of the heaviest, longest barrel .45s I can find and carry them at all times, it's sure to have some workout value, eh?

sounds like a good combination

ScoutGunner, aloha shirts and Tommy Bahama-style shirts are excellent covers for concealed carry. But, I don't know how easily you'll be able to draw from your waist when seated in a scooter. Many scooters have armrests that would seem to limit a rider's ability to draw quickly or smoothly. While I have no experience with shoulder holsters (when wearing a coat) or fanny pack-carry, these options might work for you regardless of whether you're walking or riding.

Lost my right leg as results of Vietnam. I had a C-leg prosthetic and can get around quite a bit, but range is cut short by asthma (Agent Orange) and bad back (1st helicopter crash). I use a Rascal electric 4-wheeled scooter to get around malls and such and have been tempted to mount a mg on the front of it. Mall folks can get quite rude. When walking I sometimes use a nice cane given to me by a friend in MOPH. I am thinking the Aloha shirt is a really good idea with belted shorts. Ya'll have come up with some really good ideas although I had to look up the initials for some of them. Thanks much.

I also have used a leg band holster for my Beretta Tomcat on my prosthetic leg when wearing pants. Works well in winter, but I have to do the shorts in summer for the heat and ease of using bathrooms. I'm going to try all the ideas you experienced gentlemen have suggested. Thanks much...

Not a bad choice, if you are walking. I like the FIST holster with velcro clip adjustment since I can wear the weapon strong side when I am going to be up and about, or cross draw when I am going to be seated a lot. Being an IWB design, it conceals pretty well in either position.

BTW: 50 years old, 6'3", 350#

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back