How do I lock & hide a handgun on motorcycle?

JoeG

[I carry concealed or open depending where I'm going that day. I could use some ideas how and where to hide and lock the pistol on a 650 V Star Yamaha custom. I cannot carry gun into the plant where I work for eight hours. Company rules.
My thoughts are to use small steel safe inside saddle bags bolted or cable bolted to the bikes frame. Any ideas?
Can't go to a different job or company at my age and the job market, been at this hole in the wall for twelve years and will be here for a few more years. :fie:

My Autosafe by Sentry has successfully withstood 2 attempts to break into it. It comes with a steel cable as you describe. I'm sure it would do the trick.

I use a small nano vault (combo model). The cable can be attached or secured around something solid on the frame and is long enough to stash in the saddlebag. It will prevent a quick "grab", but I'm sure given enough time.... or the right tools, it can be compromised. Most thieves want to be there and gone QUICK. The time it would take to breach the case or cut the cable would likely attract too much attention.

I would get one of the small safes with a cable lock. I use one in my semi to store my Passport, a little cash and credit card, just in case I lose my wallet on the road.

Since you have saddle bags, and the cable is small, I don't think anyone would even notice the black cable next to your saddle bags.

As long as you don't let anyone know your carrying and leaving your gun with your bike, it should work out fine.

Agree with the comments on the cable lock set up. I would also suggest if the parking lot at work has security to get friendly with the guards and park as close as you can to the guardshack and their view. Not a guarentee but better than nothing.

How do I lock & hide a handgun on motorcycle?

^^Along with the safe suggestions and what Ice said, make sure you park in well lit (if you work nights), and well visible location, either to the security shack or wherever the most human traffic is. Most thieves won't walk up to a motorcycle with a pair of bolt cutters and try and steal a safe when there are people walking by watching him. One thing you learn quickly working in security or LE is that 90% of crime is a crime of opportunity. Your best bet is to not give that opportunistic thief a reason to even look at your bike.

The only thing I have to add is if you can cable the safe to the frame without it being visible ,like maybe cutting a small hole in the inside of the bag, I'd do that.

I'm with Treo on the hole on the inside of the saddle bag. Totally out of sight, and not a temptation.

I'm really surprised that there isn't a product specifically designed for this fit... say, a cable lock on a trigger lock? Or a holster with lockable retention that bolts aomewhere to the frame? C'mon, I could do this all day; where are the vendors? :)

I'm really surprised that there isn't a product specifically designed for this fit... say, a cable lock on a trigger lock? Or a holster with lockable retention that bolts aomewhere to the frame? C'mon, I could do this all day; where are the vendors? :)

I think the problem with lack of vendors is lack of mass appeal. With the wide range of choices in pistols, how does a manufacturer decide which holster to make...and where is it going to be mounted on the wide range of motorcycle models. Meanwhile, there's a relatively inexpensive option already available (nanovault) which will meet the need. Plus, if you have a holster attached to the frame with the gun exposed, this will violate CCW laws in states without open carry. Finally, if you're near a state border(without reciprocity), a holster or gun lock will not secure your weapon in compliance with Federal interstate transport requirements... gun empty in locked container, ammo in another location...
Your wish for a mountable holster, etc would likely be best addressed as a custom installation specific to your bike, available mounting location and preferences.

Thank you jfisch for finding the Harley Vault.
I looked at the "Harley Vault" that sets inside the Harley, hard case, bags and it would be great if I hadn't already have almost new leather saddle bags.
It's possible I could fit the vault in the leather bags and make it more solid than the cable.
With the solid mount it would be opened easier with one hand and less likely to cut the cable and run.
I guess a guy might be able to start making safes for bikes with different hardware to fit any bike. There are a lot of bikers with ccw or LEOs may be interested. Looks like the market might be there?

I have a VTX, can you tell me how to lock it. I was thinking about the vest/jacket but myself.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

se5usaqa.jpg

I used the flexweave cable from REI thru the trigger guard and then lock the box with a luggage lock. Just drill a hole through both sides of the box.

Go Seahawks!

I have luggage on my bike with zippers that have metal loops to attach a TSA approved cable lock through them. I lock anything valuable in these bags with these locks.
Link Removed

As you mentioned, the criminal is looking to steal something quickly... IMO these locks offer the deterrent necessary.

If they've got tools and your saddlebags are soft (not hard plastic) then anyone with a knife can take what's in it.

You're sentry safe with a cable is a great idea too.

i'd say that if you took it apart, and locked the barrel with a bike-lock/cable and took the slide with you, you'd be showing enough regard for the law to not get prosecuted. Easier to hide it that way, too, on your person and on the bike.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back