How did ya'll do this deer season?

I was fortunate to get an 8 pointer and a couple weeks later a nice doe, both with my bow. Didn't see near the deer I usually do. Sat 3 days of shotgun/muzzleloader season and only saw 3 deer total. Hopefully will see more this season, I'm itching to go already!:laugh:

Our season starts tomorrow morning (upstate NY) I have been scouting an 8 and a 10 pointer on my property for the past few weeks.
This morning with 22 hours to go until the season begins, a pretty big 4 pointer is sniffing around the yard part of my property.
I could have shot him off of my back porch if it was 22 hours later.
Anyway now I know I have at least 3 bucks nosing around the property.
Now watch, tomorrow someone will tell them that the season is beginning and they will all go to my neighbors property which is posted.
Who's idea was it to teach them deer to read posted signs anyway?

Ours starts same day! I'm leaving at 2 am to get set up. Gonna wade through a river and freeze till 6:37. I got until noon, the 17 year old SIL wants to see her boyfriend at 1:30 and my wife won't ask a coworker to trade shifts and come in 3 hours earlier....beh $15 well spent I say. 6 hours hunting is 6 hours in heaven!

Saturday, set up at 4 on a small hill with some cover overlooking 3 intersecting trails and waited for light. No action at first until all the high school kids showed up around 6:40 then I had lots of them running back and forth trying to get away from the Bubbas but they stuck to the brambles, couldn't get any clear shots. Had an older buck tease me by jumping the fence over to private and staring at me from the other side. Twice he did it, once around 7:30 and again at 9 when I met up with him again. Both times I had to fight the urge to put it between his eyes... End of the day, I wasted 4 shells and 8 bullets. Sunday, had a nice beefy 8 pointer coming up the trail grunting farting, all sorts of noises...I parked it under some deadfall and waited until he was about 8 feet away and pointed the 12 ga dead center of his massive chest and CLICK. Frickin shotgun failed. I pumped the magnum out and ran for a clear lane line it up for a shoulder hit, CLICK,pumped, boom, but by then all I could see was his tail disappearing over a ridge and the shot was wide right. He didn't even bounce like most deer do when they're running away. He mowed through thorns, smaller pines and a whole lot of piled up deadfall and it was over in about 4 seconds. Spent the rest of the day hunting the dried up swamps and only just seeing the white tails bounce up and over the brambles. This morning I snuck up behind a couple of does in a the river, got down in the water and waded after them. After a half hour of freezing in the river, I get a clear line of sight. There's 2 of them. A smaller one, maybe 120 and a big one up front. And a chain hanging across the river from 2 trees with a huge NO TRESPASSING sign about 10 or 15 feet behind them. Having some really bad luck this year.

South Carolina dog hunters SUCK!!!! We spent $5500 on 500 acres in Bamberg County SC where the deer are plenty and the season is long. My daughter and I spent every other weekend up there and all we got were 2 doe and a spike. You would think with doe days every Saturday and unlimited Bucks we would have a freezer full. But no! we had the misfortune Of leasing land in dog hunting territory. They are ruthless there. Hunting every saturday and all holidays. They intentionally let their dogs run on your property and there is nothing you can do about it. We spent $20K in SC in one of the most depressed areas I have seen. They will not see my money again. They need to regulate the dog hunters. One weekend a month (not at all would suit me) would be more than plenty. If you go to SC looking for land, make damn sure you do your homework and make sure there are no ass hole dog hunters next to you.

South Carolina dog hunters SUCK!!!! We spent $5500 on 500 acres in Bamberg County SC where the deer are plenty and the season is long. My daughter and I spent every other weekend up there and all we got were 2 doe and a spike. You would think with doe days every Saturday and unlimited Bucks we would have a freezer full. But no! we had the misfortune Of leasing land in dog hunting territory. They are ruthless there. Hunting every saturday and all holidays. They intentionally let their dogs run on your property and there is nothing you can do about it. We spent $20K in SC in one of the most depressed areas I have seen. They will not see my money again. They need to regulate the dog hunters. One weekend a month (not at all would suit me) would be more than plenty. If you go to SC looking for land, make damn sure you do your homework and make sure there are no ass hole dog hunters next to you.

They do that here, although theres no dogs allowed during deer season. The landowners think that the public lands adjacent to their private lands are theirs by default and they let their dogs run free. The DNR won't do anything about it either. Last year I was attacked by 5 dogs and was lucky enough to get away without firing a shot. This year I had to kill one. Didn't bother notifying the DNR, they refused to help me last year when I called 911 from the tree.

If they're on your land and disrupting you, just plug em. No reason to risk your life when it comes to a pack of uncontrolled dogs.

Nice 9 pt. buck with muzzle-loader during the "bonus gun weekend"
Also, a button buck with long-bow last week......
Had to work this weekend, but going out later today and tomorro to try and top my freezer off with muzzle-loader again...

Got a couple of does and hoping to get more before the end of the season. Been hot here alot during the season, after this rain moves thru the temp. is going to get around freezing, hunting should get good then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back