Homicides by CCW holders

Socom23

In a Fox news report Park Ridge Illinois State Senator (D) say 11 police officers and over 200 others have been murdered by holders of CCW's. Has anybody else seen such statistics or did he pull them out of Brady's A$$?

Where?

In a Fox news report Park Ridge Illinois State Senator (D) say 11 police officers and over 200 others have been murdered by holders of CCW's. Has anybody else seen such statistics or did he pull them out of Brady's A$$?

That may be true but it's a very small number of the total. The quote is "in the last few years." Could he be a little more vague? And it certainly wasn't in Illinois because they don't have concealed carry.

According to reported crime statistics, Illinois alone had almost 3900 murders in the last 5 reported years (2005-2009). 211 is only 5% of ILLINOIS' total in five years. I'll take my chances with the CCW guys, thanks very much.

"Figures don't lie but liars figure." Samuel Clemens

And in other news, all the perps in those cases held driver licenses, too. What's his point?

Illinois nonsense

That may be true but it's a very small number of the total. The quote is "in the last few years." Could he be a little more vague? And it certainly wasn't in Illinois because they don't have concealed carry.

According to reported crime statistics, Illinois alone had almost 3900 murders in the last 5 reported years (2005-2009). 211 is only 5% of ILLINOIS' total in five years. I'll take my chances with the CCW guys, thanks very much.

"Figures don't lie but liars figure." Samuel Clemens

And I bet he has ZERO facts to backup his statement. I know Illinois is fighting the right-to-carry issue now, that's why he is spewing nonsense.

Now wait a minute, this statement was made by a democrat. We all know democrats care so much for our well being. Why would anyone question what he said. Facts are not important. What is important is how warm and fuzzy progressive liberal democrats feel. Now if a republican made this statement you would be right on target.:sarcastic:

These stats came from the Violence Policy Center in DC. Steve Chapman has a piece on it. You can find it on Townhall.com. He stats that a lot of these happened in the home where you don't need a CCW. Claims that on a previous 2yr study they only found 5 that a CCW could have contributed to. One of them was for strangling someone, a gun wasn't even used. I know of one of the 5, a ccw holder settled for manslaughter against an ambitious DA due to the fears of a greater sentence and the cost. Knowing of the circumstances his only mistake after being blocked in by the enraged and larger assailant was to get out of his vehicle with the pistol in hand. If he had let the encroaching opponent break his window or try to pull him out he wouldn't have faced charges. I suspect there are a number of similar situations out there. Yes, there has been some CCW holders murder people, but the # who didn't murder someone or who prevented a murder far out weights the few.

Which would he rather have with him if a guy came up to him and demanded all his money, a dumb ass with a phone or the CCW guy with a gun? I'll take the CCW guy, mainly me.

If our entire society behaved like those of us who are licensed to carry concealed weapons, most LEOs, prosecutors, judges, corrections officers, probation officers, and parole officers would have to find other work.

The statement is fairly accurate but what they don't take into account is that there are (right around) 3million legal concealed carriers in this country. So that's around 0.007 % of permit holders.

Number doesn't appear quite so large now does it?

Here's the story:
Ill. Assn. of Chiefs of Police Support Legalizing Concealed Carry Proposal

Here's the quote:
State Sen Dan Kotowski (D-Park Ridge) asserted that concealed carry permit holders have killed 11 police officers and more than 200 others in recent years.

Compare that against this:
http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html

The National Self-Defense Survey indicated that there were 2.5 million incidents of defensive gun use per year in the U.S. during the 1988-1993 period.

A national survey conducted in 1994 by the Police Foundation and sponsored by the National Institute of Justice almost exactly confirmed the estimates from the National Self-Defense Survey. This survey's person-based estimate was that 1.44% of the adult population had used a gun for protection against a person in the previous year, implying 2.73 million defensive gun users. These results were well within sampling error of the corresponding 1.33% and 2.55 million estimates produced by the National Self-Defense Survey.

Somebody needs to point out that the good Senator Dan Kotowski would like to stop the 2.5 million incidents per year of people who have defended themselves with firearms in order to "save" 1 or 2 cops per year. And notice who conducted the second survey... the Police Foundation sponsored by the National Institute of Justice!

The statement is fairly accurate but what they don't take into account is that there are (right around) 3million legal concealed carriers in this country. So that's around 0.007 % of permit holders.

Number doesn't appear quite so large now does it?

Treo, I think you're undercounting CCW permit holders. I think the total is closer to 6 million today. Link Removed for some state by state numbers, which add up to about 5.5M, with some states not reported, and many showing data that's a few years old. Thus your percentage becomes about 0.0035%

And in other news, all the perps in those cases held driver licenses, too. What's his point?

OBVIOUSLY they should suspend the entire states drivers licenses, less people driving means less people can get to there targets. Makes sense by their logic right?

And when you look at this side by side with unjust OC detainment and general police ham handedness regarding armed citizens, it puts a counterpoint to a sensational argument. Officers will occasionally greet armed citizens by pointing a gun at them and as I remarked on another thread, if it wasn't a cop aiming his pistol at me, law-abiding-citizen, if it was anyone else, I would have the right to defend my life with lethal force.

Police getting shot is a bad thing, don't misinterpret where I stand on that issue.

Texas posts these statistics on the Dept of Public Safety site for all crimes by year (there is a 2 yr lag time):
Link Removed

For Murder, the latest year reported was 2009 report and says this:
MURDER (Total) 406 (By CHL Holder) 1 (Percent) 0.2463 (1/24 of 1 percent)

Under eight types of Capital Murder (68 times), the number was zero for CHL holders

The report of the total of all crimes shows this:
(Total Offenses) 65,561 (by CHL Holders) 101 (Percent) 0.1541%

Hm, yeah, I am not buying into that all seeing where it's coming from and how vague it is. And you can't throw a number like this out without telling the time frame and the total number of people in the group. A correct statement would have been like this: "From 2000-2010 of the 8,588 CCW permit holders in the state of Blagovitch, 12 were involved in a shootout with police." Anything else is just unscientific to begin with. And then you should give the details on those 12 cases.

I am German. I know PROPAGANDA lies when I see them. We invented the word!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back