Home invader killed in Slinger Wisc.

The shooting is still under investigation. It is sounding like the home owner might have acted too quickly, but when someone enters your porch at 2:00AM bad things or mistakes might happen. I do not think the home owner should be charged, with what I know at this point.

Link Removed

I remember reading or hearing somewhere something to the effect of 'Don't do stupid things with stupid people and you can avoid alot of lifes problems'

Reminds me of the episode of Homicide: Life on the Street with David Morse playing a home owner who shot an eastern European exchange student who thought he was going to a heavy metal house party in KISS-like make up, which was itself based on the real life incident of a Japanese high school exchange student going to the wrong house for a Halloween party in Baton Rouge, LA.

Both of those cases, fictional and real, had the interloper (not sure intruder is the right term) dressed in a crazy costume and with poor English skills. This apparently was a down home American kid in plain clothes.

I look forward to reading about how this case is disposed of in this thread, but in the Baton Rouge Japanese kid case (as well as the fictionalized account) the homeowner was acquitted of any wrong-doing.

wouldn't the castle doctrine law apply to this in wisconsin? Someone enters your home at 2am, I would say that is a threat.

Bad news all around really, I'm sure the shooter is in pretty rough shape right now as well. It's a tricky situation, do you go out guns blazing, or you do you yell I've got a gun speak now (or something maybe not so PC lol) or I will be forced to use it.

It's a moment when you are more scared than you have ever been in your entire life, it's hard to say what you would or should do.

One thing that has me wondering, is how did the kid go into the wrong house? (Was it locked up and he broke in?) If he was NOT in the house but only on the porch....well then the home owner should probably be in trouble. If someone is trying to get into my house I'm giving the wife the phone and I will yell to get the hell out of here the cops are on the way. Should they enter, that's on them....

I once had a situation while working at a gas station in high school. A buddy of mine and I were chatting rather late while I was working one night and a guy came in. He kept saying you know what I need...You know what I need....we were both convinced without a doubt that he was going to rob the store. But thankfully before we both jumped him, we figured out he was VERY VERY drunk and just wanted me to call him a cab. So mistakes can happen, some you can take back and some you cannot. Be damn sure (but don't take too long) before you let the rounds leave.

Tragic incident all around....

"Police said the homeowner called them saying he shot an intruder on his porch."

Unless that's an enclosed porch secured with a locking door, I don't think a credible claim can be made that the interloper was shot IN the man's home. Maybe the Wisconsin Castle Doctrine law is different than every other Castle Doctrine I've ever heard of, but an area adjacent to the home which is open to the elements and accessible by the public is not considered part of the home for CD purposes.

After watching the video , if that little stoop is the porch I would have to agree that the homeowner acted too quickly.Had a similar incident happen to me a few years ago. However, the person was banging on my door and at one point trying to kick it down. Had my 45 in one hand and the phone in the other. 911 told me the police will be there in ten minutes. When she heard me yell at the person to stop I have a gun and will shoot, the operator asked "You have a gun" I responded yes. Suddenly the police were not 10 minutes away but about 45 seconds to respond. Turns out the guy was drunk off his butt and looking for a party that was at an address he gave that was 6 miles away.

Really sad, sounds like a kid doing something stupid and paying the price. I did stupid stuff involving alcohol and survived. Not all my friends made it through those years. My grief is for the home owner as his life is forever changed.

It is the nature of youth that they are adventurous. In every generation some of them die to teach the rest of us how fragile and precious life is. I lost friends and I have no idea how I escaped. All my friends have said the same at one time or the other. As sad as we were we never blamed the situation on anyone but that friend of ours that had paid the price.

"Police said the homeowner called them saying he shot an intruder on his porch."

Unless that's an enclosed porch secured with a locking door, I don't think a credible claim can be made that the interloper was shot IN the man's home. Maybe the Wisconsin Castle Doctrine law is different than every other Castle Doctrine I've ever heard of, but an area adjacent to the home which is open to the elements and accessible by the public is not considered part of the home for CD purposes.

Cathy,

"...on the porch..." is unquoted. Two news sources used "on the porch" while one used "in the porch". I mapped the house from a external picture on one news site, the front porch is fully enclosed and looks like it has been for many many years. However, WI law alllows for porches and decks.

If it is proven that his doors were not locked and the victim had not "broken" in, he may be screwed in Wisconsin. It will be a tough call for the county DA. I see that the victim's family was at the DA's office demanding the he file charges. Have to keep a close eye on this one.

If the youth did not break down the door to the porch (i.e. door was unlocked) it should have been a trespassing call for sure, but not opening fire. I think a sharp lawyer is going to get everything the homeowner has to his name in civil court. I have a porch in front and a Cedar Deck in back. They are not "killing fields" unless somebody is shooting into the house from either locale. My "Castle Doctrine" kicks in as a "sure thing" when they bust down my triple locked door or come in through one my locked windows. All of the above is based on Tennessee law, I don't really know the Wisconsin law.

When I was 19 years old I had been out partying with friends. I left the party about 1:30 am and arrived shortly after to my apartment. I went up the stairs, put the key in the door and stumbled on in. About half way through the living room I wondered to myself, "when did I get a fish tank? and when did I get hanging plants?" It was then that I realized I was in the wrong apartment and I ran out very quickly, not even sure if I had shut the door. It was an honest mistake.

When you decide to shoot somebody, make damn sure it is for the right reason.

It will be interesting to see what happens in this case. I personally don't think any charges against the homeowner will happen. I look at the 2am the 20 year old was under age drinking, ran from police, and then entered a enclosed porch. It's sad to see by this young mans 3 bad choices that night he lost his life. He should of just stayed at the party got his underage drinking ticket and be on his way. If I was the homeowner I would of waited until the person came into my home then unloaded my gun. But I guess you never know what you are going to do until you are in that type of situation.

The family of the victim should sue those responsible for the underage drinking party.

Right lets sue somebody, why should a 20 year old be expected to be responsible for his actions, must be someone else's fault that he was drunk, running from the police and trying to enter a stranger's home at 2 AM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back