Home Depot Concealed Carry

I didn't ask them for permission to OC. I asked them what their policy was. I have a CCW and I think OC is just asking for more trouble than its worth, so I don't do it.

Sometimes, asking a store might raise their awareness to the point where they'll establish a policy allowing OC. Much of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns is due to lack of knowledge about local laws and common sense. At minimum, finding out what their policy is is respectful of the store owners rights.

Personally, I wish everyone would openly carry. Nobody would give a second thought about seeing a gun and violent crime would drop to nearly zero.

Sometimes, asking a store might raise their awareness to the point where they'll establish a policy allowing OC. Much of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns is due to lack of knowledge about local laws and common sense. At minimum, finding out what their policy is is respectful of the store owners rights.

So, may I ask if you inquired as to their policy regarding cell phones? Or children, such as how far away from parents they could be without offending them? Or how about wearing cologne? Part of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns comes from the fact that even gun owners treat guns as if guns are worthy of stigma and suspicion. Why is the gun that you wear, especially CONCEALED any different than the cell phone in your pocket? If your phone rang in the store, would you ask management if they minded if you answered it or ask them if they were offended by you carrying it in your pocket? Why is the gun any different?

If the business wants people to abide by a policy banning firearms, then let them post that policy publicly. Why is the gun something different that must be asked about, or hidden away (for the reasons of not "offending" others.)

The way I see it, seeing someone walking around Home Depot with a gun on their side would at minimum cause me to do a threat assessment. Bad guys come in all shapes and sizes, but I probably wouldn't go on alert if he was clean cut and honest looking. If the person passes muster I probably wouldn't give it any more thought. But that's me. How the rest of the public treats it is another story. "OH MY GAWD, HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!!". Yawn.

Like it or not, there is a large group of people in this country that think the very sight of a gun will make it jump up and shoot them right between the eyes. You think they're stupid, I think they're stupid, but they won't change they're mind no matter what.

Unless you drop one from the fiftieth floor or can pitch one at 100+ mph, a cell phone isn't perceived as a threat to the general public. If they only knew that they're all going to die of brain cancer they might feel differently, but what can you do? However, there isn't anyone that doesn't know a gun has only one, potentially deadly purpose.

Whether it's ignorance or fear or just a belief that the world would be a safer place if only the government had guns, there are people everywhere that don't feel comfortable around a gun. I do have to admit, I would be uncomfortable if the guy carrying the guns around had a bunch of gang or biker tats and looked like he's strung out on drugs. But then again, that's what a threat assessment is for.

I look at it this way, I don't like it much when people force their beliefs on me. But I have to respect that they're entitled to their opinion. Consequently, as a tried and true atheist I get really ticked off when some atheist jerkoff insists that the high school football team can't say a prayer before a game because one kid in the school, (who probably isn't on the football team in the first place), doesn't believe in God. I think that's just wrong. I also think it's a tad uncalled for when when one of us decides they're going to singlehandedly going to march around with an exposed gun no matter what anyone thinks. I think there should be some middle ground. I live in an OC state, (NV), but in the 17 years I've been living here I have never once seen an OC in public. But I also know I have undoubtedly been in close proximity to hundreds of people that are concealed carrying.

I would not ask at all. If they do not have a sign or something stating that they do not allow CCW or OC then I just go about my business. Since receiving my CCP I look out for these signs on any business that I am enetering and if I do not see anything stating that they are not gun friendly then I carry my weapon. Maryland does not allow open carry anywhere, so I am always concealed.

So, may I ask if you inquired as to their policy regarding cell phones? Or children, such as how far away from parents they could be without offending them?

Personally, I'm MUCH more offended by cell phones ringing than I am by someone legally carrying.:smile:

N45, I do and have always have. Positive feedback never hurts. We have a large indoor/outdoor market in our town (western NC) and the owner is always glad to see CCH permit holders. Makes her feel safer. She can tell you, "well, he has a Glock, that lady has a Ruger LCR 357 in her purse,........" Wal-mart, Home Depot, Ingles Grocery Store, and Lowes, but with Lowes, depends on which manager is on duty??. I never patronize the gun/red circle restaraunts. Those signs just tell an armed robber that no one there can defend themselves! One food place just has a Glock logo with a smiley face under it. Nuff said. Mikey

I would not ask at all. If they do not have a sign or something stating that they do not allow CCW or OC then I just go about my business. Since receiving my CCP I look out for these signs on any business that I am enetering and if I do not see anything stating that they are not gun friendly then I carry my weapon. Maryland does not allow open carry anywhere, so I am always concealed.

How the HELL did you pull off getting a permit in MD???? Congrats!

Wasn't easy. I was Attacked, had my eye almost gouged out by a guy(convict) that I had previously had a peace order against. Had peace order against his POS girlfriend also. 5 days after the peace order expired he came at me in front of my house. Lots of witnesses. We went to court and he payed me 10Gs to avoid prosecution but then he and his brother were stupid enough to make threats to me and my wife in front of more witnesses. Long story short I put together a very detailed application and after about 2 1/2 months I received a none restricted permit. It sucks that being seriously injured and threatened might be the best/only way to get a permit in MD.

Wasn't easy. I was Attacked, had my eye almost gouged out by a guy(convict) that I had previously had a peace order against. Had peace order against his POS girlfriend also. 5 days after the peace order expired he came at me in front of my house. Lots of witnesses. We went to court and he payed me 10Gs to avoid prosecution but then he and his brother were stupid enough to make threats to me and my wife in front of more witnesses. Long story short I put together a very detailed application and after about 2 1/2 months I received a none restricted permit. It sucks that being seriously injured and threatened might be the best/only way to get a permit in MD.

That friggen sucks, at least you got it. Hopefully all these court rulings start to take effect and MD cuts the crap. Sucks how Bmore destroys freedom for the whole state.

I am of the mindset that one should carry the way they want as long as it does not get the police called on them. I personally prefer to carry concealed in order to not let any potential bad guys know that I can and will protect myself and mine. This is simply my personal preference and opinion and nothing more nor less.

Why? It's our right to bear arms. How we do it is up to that person. If they want to OC then go for it. If the store restricts the right of that person to bear arms because of how they carry. Then THEY ARE AN ANTI STORE!.
You guys need to rmember you have no second amendment right on their property. The Bill of Rights is between you and the government. It does not apply to the right of the property owner to restrict carry. That is not a public place. It is private property, owned by a corporation who is entitled to implement it's own policies. I've cited the applicable court decisions in the past so I won't do it again... but. Like it or not it's absolute fact.

I am of the mindset that one should carry the way they want as long as it does not get the police called on them. I personally prefer to carry concealed in order to not let any potential bad guys know that I can and will protect myself and mine. This is simply my personal preference and opinion and nothing more nor less.

Why do you feel the need to adjust your life around whether or not people will call the police about your lawful actions? I refuse to give complete strangers that much power over my life.

So, may I ask if you inquired as to their policy regarding cell phones? Or children, such as how far away from parents they could be without offending them? Or how about wearing cologne? Part of the stigma surrounding people carrying guns comes from the fact that even gun owners treat guns as if guns are worthy of stigma and suspicion. Why is the gun that you wear, especially CONCEALED any different than the cell phone in your pocket? If your phone rang in the store, would you ask management if they minded if you answered it or ask them if they were offended by you carrying it in your pocket? Why is the gun any different?

If the business wants people to abide by a policy banning firearms, then let them post that policy publicly. Why is the gun something different that must be asked about, or hidden away (for the reasons of not "offending" others.)

even with them posting something doesn't mean everyone will o bide by it. for example in pa where i live it is fine to carry in a bar as long as your not getting drunk or buzzed. but getting back to the story one night someone had a pistol that he was Mexican carrying and had a CCW license and something happened between him and a girl there he got hauled off to jail and now there is a sign that banns firearms on the property. I was in there just the other night i saw the sign and didn't think anything off it considering i was gonna have 2 drinks, and go home not cause any trouble and next thing i know someone decided to try and rob it at gun point. the bartender that was on knew that i carry and gave me a look to see if i had mine and i did so once he turned his back to look at a couple people on the other side by the pool tables a buddy of mine who is a retired marine disarmed him from behind and we held him at gun point until the local LEO's got there. I was questioned about having my firearm on me in the bar when the signs posted read that i wasn't allowed to and my only answer was aren't you glad i had it considering what happened. after that nothing happened and i didn't lose my pistol or CCW. but like I've always been told and said I'd rather have and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I think OC is just asking for more trouble than its worth, so I don't do it.

So which is it? You think it's more trouble than its worth?

Personally, I wish everyone would openly carry. Nobody would give a second thought about seeing a gun and violent crime would drop to nearly zero.

Or you think more people should Open Carry?

Sending some mixed messages here.

Just sayin..... Ya know?

It's ok in New Mexico, but if you OC in Texas or Oklahoma you will be arrested.

I don't know who filled your head with that nonsense but you can open carry in Texas without a problem aslong as you know the law and are on your own property with legal right to own that weapon. I have buddies in other states such as Cali, Texas, Oregon and New Mexico that purposly show up where police are with their firearm on them (open carry) and video document their contact. I am personally setting up a youtube channel dedicated with not only educating people how to handle Police contact but how to also show how uneducated some officers are when handling people not only with open carry but with Traffic stops and other things aswell.

Why? It's our right to bear arms. How we do it is up to that person. If they want to OC then go for it. If the store restricts the right of that person to bear arms because of how they carry. Then THEY ARE AN ANTI STORE!.
Not necessarily. Keep in mind that they are a business, and if the ability to open carry scared off other customers, Home Depot is not responsible for educating the public. They are responsible for keeping their doors open and making a profit, enabling people to live the American dream along the way. I personally think open carry is stupid, but that's (sometimes) your call to make. If it affects my business, I'm going to ask that you not open carry. Then you can still protect yourself and exercise our 2A rights while keeping my other customers' heart rates down. Win-win.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back