Home Defense Test: Taurus Public Defender .410 and Mossberg M590A1 12 guage

Riverkilt

Took my two home defense guns to the range today to test their patterns. I live in an apartment and the maximum I would engage an intruder at is 20 feet.

Loaded my Taurus Public Defender with .410 Winchester Defender that has three plated defense discs and 12 BBs.

Link Removed

At 20 feet the pattern was 12" high and 10" wide with all three plated defense discs dead center with the 12 BBS forming a circle around them.

I am pleased with that. No doubt a tighter pattern at closer range.

Then I loaded my Mossberg M590A1 with 12 gauge Winchester Ranger with nine 00 buck and fired from 20 feet.

Link Removed

All nine 00 buck hit in a 3" circle. Wads went left a bit but who cares. Very pleased with that pattern.

Feels great to have two fine home defense guns with good ammo..."just in case."

What exactly is a plated defense disc? I've seen the PDX1 with the slug and three 00 pellets but never heard of plated defense discs.

Just what Winchester wrote on the box...never opened a shell to see what it was and no way to find one after firing...sketch on the box looks like a thick disc...so sorry, no clue...they make a nice hole though.

What exactly is a plated defense disc? I've seen the PDX1 with the slug and three 00 pellets but never heard of plated defense discs.

The PDX in 410 has 3 small discs & 12 BB's. The discs are about the size of a watch battery.
I shot a cantalope once at close range with my Judge, with PDX ammo, & there wasn't much left to it.
Very impressive.

My guess is those three discs would make a mess of whatever they were shot into. It the ammo the LGS recommended when I bought the Public Defender and told him it would be for home protection.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back