Hollow Point V Full Metal Jacket ?

rock919

I currently use Remington High Performance Jacket 9mm Luger for my Sig Sauer P226r. This is Hollow Point. I bought this for defense purposes. From what I understand Full Metal Jacket is better for that purpose. I like using Remington. However, I honestly do not know which is the best type and which is the best manufacturer for defense ammunition. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

I currently use Remington High Performance Jacket 9mm Luger for my Sig Sauer P226r. This is Hollow Point. I bought this for defense purposes. From what I understand Full Metal Jacket is better for that purpose. I like using Remington. However, I honestly do not know which is the best type and which is the best manufacturer for defense ammunition. I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

The reason Gabby Giffords isn't a vegetable is because she was shot w/ an FMJ round that went right through her head w/out expanding.

Hollow points are better. They expand and penetrate. FMJ's just penetrate. The concern there is going through the intended target and possibly into someone/something else.

Hollow points are better. They expand and penetrate. FMJ's just penetrate. The concern there is going through the intended target and possibly into someone/something else.

Especially with the 9mm. A small, fast moving round will more than likely go right through a person and keep on going. I do not like to carry ball ammo unless I am going to the range to shoot. I like the Hornady stuff or the Remington Golden Sabers. JMHO.:biggrin:

also, the only way that a FMJ round will transfer enough energy to be effective is if it is moving at a very high speed, ie rifle

I spent a few weekends researching ballistic data about the various personal defense rounds available, and from what I have been able to find, the Hornaday Critical Defense has had the most reliable expansion, even thru 4 layers of denim....whereas the Hydra Shock has been found to have a very unreliable and very low expansion rate thru 4 layers of denim.

also, the only way that a FMJ round will transfer enough energy to be effective is if it is moving at a very high speed, ie rifle

I spent a few weekends researching ballistic data about the various personal defense rounds available, and from what I have been able to find, the Hornaday Critical Defense has had the most reliable expansion, even thru 4 layers of denim....whereas the Hydra Shock has been found to have a very unreliable and very low expansion rate thru 4 layers of denim.

So you're suggesting I should return back to HP's vs 45ACP BALL?

Absolutely. Just look at the unfortunate event in AZ. In the rare event you had to shoot thru a door or window, the FMJ round would penetrate the object and keep going to your target, where the hollow point would be less likely to.

Think of it this way....what is easier to push thru water, a glass bottom first, or that same glass top first.

How many times has this debate come up?

-Doc

Yes, If you did a search, I'm sure you would find many threads on this subject..
FMJ's have greater chance of going through someone which means at least two things
1) you may injure an unintended target behind your initial target
2) If it goes through the target, it is taking energy with it. You want the entire energy of the bullet to be expended in the intended target.

A hollow point will expand (assuming it performs properly) sometimes as much as twice it's original caliber, causing the bullet to expend more energy in a shorter period of time, thus not over penetrating..

If you are using it for self defense, then HP is the way you want to go.
While you are searching previous posts, you will find several links that discuss different manufacturers and their performance in ballistic gel (simulating body tissue) as well as going through material and then into ballistic gel.. I will post one recent links for you..
"Link Removed"

And should you carry one in the chamber or not? I carry one in the chamber and it's either a Remington Golden Saber or a CCI Gold Dot. Both of these are high quality hollowpoints and will serve you well.

And should you inform should you meet a cop while carrying one in the chamber :biggrin:

And should you inform should you meet a cop while carrying one in the chamber :biggrin:
"Should".. This word as usual depends on external factors..

Does the state you live (are presently) in require it? Some do..
What are the circumstances under which you are meeting the cop?

Did you just see the cop being a jerk to someone else just before meeting up with you... (different cops have different personalities!)

This question is too vague to answer to any satisfaction..

I have only had ONE LEO encounter since I started carrying.
I did NOT inform, but they asked and I said YES (You should NOT lie to a cop!, Say nothing if you wish, change the subject, but don't lie)
He then said, it would have been nice if I had told him.. Well.. His asking was the 1st thing he asked after saying Hi.. So there wasn't really a chance to say anything.. Later in the encounter.. I asked him (I already knew the answer, but wanted to see what he would say) IF there was a requirement in Florida to inform.. He said NO.. So his point was a point of courtesy and NOT law.. I had just finished bow hunting and in full camouflage at the time, so it would seem to be a logical question/assumption for the cop.

It is funny, because the friend I was with and I had just been discussing this subject earlier in the morning about whether to "inform" or not..

Learn as much as you can (partly by reading through this forum), understand YOUR RIGHTS in your state, and with your education, make a logical decision at the time of the encounter..

True. I read on one site for a personal security firm that they prefer FMJ - it leaves two holes to bleed from. They aren't that interested in collateral damage, just protecting the one that signs their paychecks.

I use Hornaday CD and Corbon Pow'rball exclusively in my self-defense weapons.

Shooting somebody with FMJ is like stabbing them with a long screwdriver. A bullet transfers all of it's kinetic energy into the target only when it stops inside that target. With FMJ not only is there no expansion but level of hydrostatic shock it delivers the target is minimal as well. The only time FMJ might be an advantage is if you were shooting through a car door or something like that.

True. I read on one site for a personal security firm that they prefer FMJ - it leaves two holes to bleed from. They aren't that interested in collateral damage, just protecting the one that signs their paychecks.

An idiotic theory at best.

Any internal damage will bleed out whether there is an exit wound or not.

That firm must be run by a mall ninja! An incredibly stupid mall-ninja!

-Doc

.....The only time FMJ might be an advantage is if you were shooting through a car door or something like that.

Gold-Dots, HST, Hydra-shock, all penetrate auto material and whole lot of tissue as well!

CCW are not the military, they have no Geneva/Hague convention issues, and they aren't trying to wound multiple enemies with one projectile.

There is no reason for FMJ in CCW!

-Doc

Is this one of the firms that operates in Iraq or Afghanistan? They could be concerned about being considered a "war criminal" for having HP ammo. That said I can't fathom a security firm not worrying about collateral damage.

One other issue with FMJ is that it is usually sold as practice ammo. Therefore it is cheap and of (usually) poorer quality than SD ammo.

My LCP carries Hornaday XTP right now, but I plan to switch to Critical Defense if I can ever get to the range to test some out in her.

Where is it writen, Tho shall use only one type of bullet in self defense?
I believe the rule is always cheat! Gain the advantage anyway you can.
Use reliable hollow points for your caliber for complete energy transfer.
Use reliable full metal jackets for penitration through heart, lung and spine.
Use high velocity, use large caliber, use night sights, blinding light.
Use it all. Use two or three types or ammunition, and use it all until the threat is eliminated!
JUST BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET, AND WHAT IS BEYOND.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back