Hitchhiking w/ a .357 Magnum

BluesStringer

Les Brers

I thought this was kinda cool. Hope you enjoyed it.

Rule #1........Never, and I mean never pick up a hitchhiker. You'll live longer.

I've got somewhere around 20,000 miles on my thumb. Hitched from West coast to East coast four times between 16 and 21 years of age, plus a month-long trip across Germany, France, Spain and Austria, plus several trips between SoCal and WA State during the same period. Mother Nature has been the only problem I've ever encountered, mostly cold weather that I didn't have decent enough gear to deal with. I obviously never carried though, being too young to even own a handgun for most of that time, and doing the Euro-trip while on leave from the Army stationed in Germany. Although, now that I think about it, the first time I ran away from home at age 15, both me and the friend who took off with me took our .22 rifles with us. We were going from the South Bay area of SoCal out to Carbon Canyon in the Mojave Desert, the guns were both in soft rifle cases, and cops stopped at two different on-ramps to check us out. Only one even asked what was in the case, and neither of them opened the cases to look for themselves what was inside. I guess like Oregon in the video, it was such a common sight to see people hitchhiking that cops didn't make a big deal about it. We had a destination where a cabin was, and we had snacks to get us there and the means to get us a couple of rabbits to eat once we got there, so they weren't concerned. By the time we headed home a week later, even though both our moms had reported us missing, we didn't even get questioned again.

I've never passed by a hitchhiker if I was driving alone (meaning my wife wasn't in the car) or wasn't working when I saw them. I've been in Bama for 24 years and only ever seen one hitchhiker, who I did pick up in Birmingham and took him about 20 miles past my exit to the TN state line. The overwhelming majority of my driving since being here has been on back roads or state highways though. The interstate system is pretty sparse in this state, so we don't see many of the hitchers that pass through, but I really don't get the fear that so many have of them. I mean, I guess I get it a little better with women, but as the video shows, lots of women aren't scared of hitchhikers either.

I really didn't post the video to get comments on whether or not anyone should pull over for hitchhikers, I posted it for the open carry and gun-related content. I thought what the guy was doing was pretty cool, and the short segment while he was at his granddad's funeral made me think Gramps would probably have been proud of him for documenting such a singularly American thing to do as to walk free amongst your fellow citizens while armed and still be treated more or less "normally."
_shrug__or__dunno__by_crula.gif

Blues

The open carry and gun related content never would have come into play because,

No hitchhikers period

The video seemed pretty inane. The guy looked like a dirtbag again, I wouldn't have picked him up. I suspect he spends most of his time on a street corner panhandling and I'd be will to bet he was the last hitchhiker some of those people ever pick up.

The video seemed pretty inane. The guy looked like a dirtbag again, I wouldn't have picked him up. I suspect he spends most of his time on a street corner panhandling and I'd be will to bet he was the last hitchhiker some of those people ever pick up.

Well, I'm glad to see that your extended absence didn't dim that friendly, hopeful and joyous ray of sunshine that you bring to every post.

Irrespective of what anyone thinks of this guy's appearance, this is a cool video. Unfortunately, even though Oregon has open carry, their laws vis-a-vis the Second Amendment are a little Draconian. I have CCW's from 2 states (Arizona and Utah) that are recognized in about 40 states but Oregon is not one of them. Oregon doesn't recognize permits from any other states. I'm kind of amazed that open carry is legal there.

The greater portion of my self defense strategy focuses on risk avoidance and mitigation. It's always better to avoid a confrontation with a criminal entirely than to win one. As a result I try to live by the "rule of stupids".

I don't go to stupid places.

I don't do stupid things.

I don't associate with stupid people.

Allowing some random stranger into my vehicle would break 2 of those rules

We live in a different world. When I was a teen, (60's), I hitched everywhere. While stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC., I can't tell you how many times I thumbed it up to Mi. & back.

Today, if I ran out of gas, I wouldn't get in a strangers car, nor would I pick someone up. Sad, but it's just not worth it.

Rule #1........Never, and I mean never pick up a hitchhiker. You'll live longer.
Yeah...I pick up hitch hikers once in a while...I've never had one tell me they carry but I tell them I carry ;) Never had a problem :) That doesn't mean I never will...just my $00.02.

Enroute to Korea in 1961, I hitchhiked from Texas to California, and made better time than the bus. In 1963, I hitchhiked from California back to Texas. I did it all again, on my way to and from Vietnam in 65-66. Always saved the ticket money, and made better time than the buses. I've hitchhiked from North Carolina and Georgia, both, to Texas.
Like Blues, I never had any trouble from anything but the weather. I wouldn't try it today, because I'd have to walk all the way. And yes, it is sad that the times have changed for the worse. I've picked up many people with their thumbs in the air over the years, but I don't anymore, if I've got family with me.
BTW, I clicked on the video, and it said sign in to watch video. I am logged in. Still can't view it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back