Hi Point 9mm

bob steadman

I bought this just to see if it would shoot. As many of you know this is about the lowest cost firearm on the market, and upon receiving it I could see why. This gun is literally the tank of guns. As anyone should; I read what there was in the way of a manual. First The manual is very thin due to no info on field stripping the gun. Hi Point does not recommend field stripping. Why not see how the action works and lock back the slide and give it a little look. It takes the strength of a gorilla to pull and lock the slide back. In the case of this particular gun the slide wouldn't fully lock due to crappy machining. The slide stop notch was not placed far enough forward. Well I was so confident with this gun that once at the range I did the responsible thing and had everybody clear the lanes (The advantages to being an RSO) as I took position. Pull of the trigger and blam. I'll be damned it worked. People didn't know if the look on my face was terror, surprise or relief. It was actually all three. There were some mis-fires. All in all for the amount of time I waited for my gun guy to track one down (you'd think for the low cost they would be flying off the shelves) it wasn't worth it. But those are the things that keep me awake me at night. I would not trust my life on one.

Ya shoulda got some instruction from the seller. Odds are there is nothing wrong with that weapon.

As far as it not locking, pull back on the slide a little harder and it will most likely lock just fine. As I understand it the early models would pull back and lock like one would expect, but the newer ones had to have a little ______ [rubber o ring?] something, put in so the last 1/8" would be harder to pull to engage the lock.

As far as jamming, I have found mine to jam occasionally until I fired 200-250 rounds thru it. From then on it goes BANG everytime I pull the trigger.

As far as disassembly, just wipe it down and call it good. Do NOT use WD 40 or any other such stuff on it nor the magazine-they use dry lube and anything oil based will cause you all kinds of problems. My buddy used WD 40 on one of my magazines and all it would do was jam until I figured out the problem and gave it a good cleaning with brake cleaner. All was good after that.

Overlook the appearance and remember,the target doesn't care if a Kimber, Colt or Hi Point fired the round, all it cares about is the lead that now hurts like H***!

Oh boy.....here comes the Hi Point diatribes..LOL! I have a HP 40 S&W and right now it has 725 rounds of error free rounds through it. Let tell you though, in the 1st magazine I had I could hardly get it to fire 5 rounds in a row without hanging up one way or another. I wound up taking a hammer and beating the bejesus out of it. I ordered another one from Midway USA and it has been perfect (with hollow points also) ever since. I would bet that the majority of the problems People have with Hi Point are mag related. I keep this pistol in my shop in the barn where I can get to it if needed. Would I carry it? Hell no...I would be walking around with my pants around my ankles all day.

I own expensive pistols too. My carry pistol is an XDS, LCR and LC9 and sometimes a MK IV Series 70 M 1911. You have to fiddle some with Hi Points but if you don't have a lot of money, you can own some protection for yourself and family. You wouldn't trust a Hi Point you say? I've heard the same thing said about Taurus, Kel Tec etc. I personally don't really care if someone owns a Hi Point....good for them I say. Variety is the spice of life.

With a Hi Point you need to rack the slide about 75 times, work the safety on and off about 50 times, eject the mag about 50 times. Then take it apart and clean and oil it. There should be a video online that shows how to do it. I would also recommend that you polish the feed ramp and put some gun grease on the slide rails.

A Hi Point can actually be a good shooter and accurate. Would I carry one? Fraid not it's too heavy. But for range and home defense they will work. Put about 250 rounds thru it and you will see it's not a bad gun, just cheap.

:big_boss:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back