Hi-Point 9MM

William Shea

Can anyone tell me anything about the Hi-Point 9mm from their own personal experience with the gun?

Good Truck, toolbox or beginner gun.

They are rugged, a bit finicky on ammo. They are a bit on the ugly side but go bang everytime you pull the trigger. VERY accurate (more accurate than my M&P). Having the barrel mounted to the frame and a SA trigger pull helps.

To heavy (IMHO) for Concealed Carry. I still have mine, wouldn't sell it even if I could get more than $100 for it.

yes, they are mostly reliable, they prefer fmj, there can be a feed issue with the mags, if you get a lot of jamming even with fmj, then either your technique, or the mag is to blame. search for the how to mod the mag, its cheap easy quick to do. the trigger is splashy, and i dont trust the safety, so i would recommend NOT carrying with a round chambered. they are still very accurate after break-in period, which is like 50 rounds. they are great for in the nightstand. the sights are actually really good, and the gun points naturally. they also have a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

I have a Hi-Point 9mm. If you are considering this gun for Concealed Carry I would NOT recommend it. It is just too heavy. As far as the gun itself is concerned. For the money it is a very good gun. Mine is very accurate, however it will jam up if you don't use the right ammunition. I recommend a 100gr. bullet, anything bigger and the gun will jam up. Once it is broke in say 200 or so rounds fired you may be able to go to a 115gr bullet. I am very happy using the 100gr that I have and I got a very good deal on it.

I've never had any luck with them. I would spend the extra and make sure I had something that is there if you ever needed it. IMO.

I will have to look into the mag mod. I had not heard of the mag being the cause of the jam ups. Thanks.

I have a hi-point 9mm carbine, had it for probably 15 years, 4 or 500 rounds through it over that time. I've always used the cheapest ammo possible, as it's mostly just for fun...still never had an issue with it.
it's killed an occasional woodchuck here & there too..lol
great gun for the money.

I think they all jam up. The cheeper ammo you run through them the more they dirty up the more they jam.

High Point 9mm was my first handgun...If you are looking for a everyday carry gun I would not suggest it...It is heavy to carry and kind of off balance to handle...Mine was an overall good shooting gun on the range, I was concerned about the occasional misfire and jams so I did not trust it for an everyday carry...The only break issue I had is after about 1000 rounds I had some issues with firing pin, I sent it off to High Point and they completely rebuilt the gun at no charge...My dad also has the 45mm and it jams about every 4-5 rounds, which could be cheap rounds, but you get what you pay for...If you cant afford anything else, then something is better than nothing...I now have a S&W MP 9mm and I love it...Its twice the price but 100% better firearm...

Ditto on the other comments. I have a C-9. Not a bad gun for the low price. Definitely not a very concealable gun, but I know someone who has open carried his and it didn't look too bad. I have problems with the last couple of rounds in the magazine feeding through mine, but I may be able to resolve that with a dis-assembly and thorough cleaning of the magazine.

Have never had an issue with mine. It's a fun range/varmit gun. Accurate and not hard on the wrist. It's heavy and too bulky for concealed. I run 115 gr fmj in this one, no problems. Like any gun, clean them once in awhile. Mine is in the Jeep or on the boat. No issues with the mags, some have had to polish the ramp, don't limp wrist it, and it goes bang every time. They are actually fun to shoot.

One problem is that the firing pin is also used to eject the shell. It is not a good idea to cycle a live round as it may go off.

One word "Classic"..
I've had my Hi-Power over 30 years with 10,000 plus rounds down range.
If I "knew" I was going to be in a pistol fire fight...give me my Hi-Power!
If your a big man weight and size won't bother you...but it's single action-automatic is the down fall...so rack'it and get it on!
My kids have made me put it in my will that they go to the range after my death and the best shot gets to take it home!
Just remember almost 100 year after John Browning put the design to paper.."We're still talking about it for a reason!"

My first handgun was a HP .40. It was the right price for me as a beginner. My second handgun was the 9mm. I bought the .40 new and the 9mm used. Both I personally have put 3000+ rounds through with much less than 1% of the rounds failing to fire. They are reliable, accurate and easy to shoot. The only reason I choose not to carry either is the physical placement of the mag release and safety. For me they are too easy to slow you down or make the weapon not perform when needed. (mag release easily drops mag etc) In general, great guns for the money

I carry my 9mm Hi Point every day, and it's on the bedside table every night. Had a few jams when it was new, but after a couple hundred rounds nothing wrong happens - I point it, squeeze the trigger, and it goes bang. Always use the cheapest ammunition I can find. Have three magazines, none of them cause any problems. The only reason I got it was that their .45 was too heavy, although I have carried it concealed from time to time. Mholland: I hope your father doesn't have a 45mm of any manufacturer; it would be a little bit on the heavy side. I mean, 45mm is about 1 3/4 inches in diameter.

I have one that I cc every day. I run Federal +P rounds and never have a feed problem. I have done the mods on the mags (i have 3 ten round mags and 1 factory eight rd. I have more expensive pistols and the HP is just as good as any of them.

More money does not necessarily mean better quality. Yes I have had some feed issues with it, but after some patience and tlc, the ole brick is flawless, and it doesn't take long to break one in. Went to qualify for ccw permit and to my astonishment, a Glock jammed not once, but numerous times (gasp!!!) Probably wasn't the gun. It was technique. I wonder how many similar stories could be attributed to people just not "wrapping their fingers" around the gun when firing. If given the opportunity do it over, I would buy a Hi Point without hesitation. More money doesn't necessarily mean better reliability. More money means... a thinner wallet at the end of the day.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back