Hi, I am a new member and would like to get some input.

Hi, my name is Carrie. I am new to this site. I came across this site while searching the internet for information on courses to take for gun safety and possibly to get a permit to carry my gun with me. I work as a nurse in a not so friendly neighborhood and often fear for my safety while walking to my car late at night. I live in Colorado and I currently own a Beretta 40 cal. I want to go to the firing range more often so I can become more familiar with my gun. Also, I don't know if there is a better gun out there that would be a better option. I've had my current gun for about 8 years, maybe a bit longer and I have only fired it 2-3 times.

If there is anyone who could give me some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Carrie

The only advice I could give would be to get some instruction for your 8 year old neglected sidearm, to ensure your safety, and those around you.

You may certainly research what carry requirements are for your locale.

I'm flummoxed that you are now asking about self defense issues.

Did you just move into a bad area?

Hi, my name is Carrie. I am new to this site. I came across this site while searching the internet for information on courses to take for gun safety and possibly to get a permit to carry my gun with me. I work as a nurse in a not so friendly neighborhood and often fear for my safety while walking to my car late at night. I live in Colorado and I currently own a Beretta 40 cal. I want to go to the firing range more often so I can become more familiar with my gun. Also, I don't know if there is a better gun out there that would be a better option. I've had my current gun for about 8 years, maybe a bit longer and I have only fired it 2-3 times.
  1. Have you had ANY training at all? I've only been through Colorado long enough to change flights on the way to Irvine, California. Does a Colorado concealed carry credential require a class? Ohio's does. Even if it doesn't require training, I recommend it anyway, especially for somebody with no training or experience. If nothing else, you'll be far less likely to accidentally shoot yourself or somebody else.
  2. Only you can determine if your gun is appropriate to your needs. What type of Beretta is it? Do you think it's too big/heavy for you? Does the recoil bother you? Many ranges allow you to rent guns by the hour. This gives you an opportunity to try different guns before buying them.
  3. I would go online and search out your local state rifle and pistol association. They should be able to provide you with useful information regarding local training courses, legal requirements, etc. Failing that, you could always contact the NRA. They could at least point you in the direction of reputable local resources.
To avoid headaches, take your time and talk to knowledgeable local people.

One thing to consider is the firearm policy of your workplace. Medical facilities are notorious for being no-gun zones. While such signs don't appear to have force of law in CO, employers can enforce policy on employees. Would it be advisable to securely store your firearm in your car? Not if the point is to protect you from car to door and back. That's a decision you'll have to make.

One ready reference is handgunlaw.us - you'll find good, up to date summary of state laws and links to the sources.

As others have said, best plan is to find a local class for Concealed Carry, and additional training/practice shooting your gun.

Hello Carrie, and welcome!
Colorado requires documentary evidence of competence in handling a firearm, so yes training will be required as part of the process for you to obtain your permit. Also, online training will not meet this requirement. Very good info for you to start with can be found at this link: Link Removed . Just click on Colorado.
I recommend additional training beyond the minimum that is required for you to obtain your permit. Do what you need to do to get your permit, but don't just stop there. Good training will help make you more than minimally competent and go a long way towards building your capability to keep yourself & others safe, and it's fun!
There is probably nothing wrong with your Beretta. It's possible that it's not the best firearm for you, but you won't be able to determine that until you get some practice shooting it and then try out a few different handguns/calibers. My recommendation would be to start your training with your Beretta, learn more about firearms in general, evaluate what characteristics might suit you best after you know enough to make an informed decision, and then try out several different handguns. How you decide to carry your firearm may have a lot to do with whether a given firearm is "right" for you also. A firearm is a tool, and just like other tools there is no such thing as the perfect tool for all possible situations. Get some training, evaluate what will work best for you, and then go with what works best for you. Then practice!

Hello Carrie,
I would suggest contacting your local gun store, preferably one with a range. They should point you in the right direction and or toward a certified NRA Instructor. When in doubt, Google gun safety classes in your local area.
This is a start, lots of education to go through but it sounds like you're committed to learn. Plus you'll have a lot of fun as well.
Welcome to the site!

Hello and welcome from Kansas. There was another woman on here from Colorado that could probably answer a lot of your questions about state regulations, but I haven't seen her on here for quite awhile.
As for the rest, everybody else has already given you the best advice. Try before you buy. Practice with what you buy. And keep practicing. If you decide to keep the Beretta, that's fine. If you like it and are comfortable with it, that's what you want.
If and when you decide you want to carry, a lot of us here can give you advice on holsters, purses, etc. Personally I've tried about all of them.
Hope you stick around. Not a lot of females on here.

I just want to take a moment to welcome you to the site. Training is always a good thing if done properly. Good for you to be looking into it.

Welcome. The best free advice I can give you is, anytime handling a gun, never, never put your finger inside the trigger guard unless you are in a must fire situation. Always point the gun in a safe direction, like up in the air. Be safe and not sorry.

As others have said... read up and review the relevant laws and regulations regarding firearms ownership and carry in your state. Seek instruction regarding firearm handling and use, and also have a gunsmith inspect your firearm to ensure that everything is in good, working order, and perhaps also to give you a quick run down of basic functionality and use. Remember the four cardinal rules: it's always loaded, don't point the barrel at anything you don't wish to destroy, finger off the trigger unless you're ready to shoot, and be sure of your target and what's beyond. Best of luck!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back