Help with Clarification on FirearmLaw?

IowaHawkeyes

Hello I was hoping for some clarification on the firearm law concerning having a firearm on any school (public college) property. When I go to the range it is before I need to go to campus for lecture on some mornings. I have not ever taken my firearm, unloaded in a locked case in my trunk area (SUV) with ammo in separate area to campus before but when I read the law it does seem to possibly allow for this. Thanks for any help and clarification that maybe I am not seeing in the words. Here is the code.

724.4 Carrying weapons.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous
weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed
with a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or
who knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated
misdemeanor.
2. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person
uses the knife in the commission of a crime, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.
3. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person
does not use the knife in the commission of a crime:
a. If the knife has a blade exceeding eight inches in length, commits an aggravated
misdemeanor.
b. If the knife has a blade exceeding five inches but not exceeding eight inches in length,
commits a serious misdemeanor.
4. Subsections 1 through 3do not apply to any of the following:
a. A person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon in the person’s own dwelling or
place of business, or on land owned or possessed by the person.
b. A peace officer, when the officer’s duties require the person to carry such weapons.
c. A member of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or person
in the service of the United States, when the weapons are carried in connection with the
person’s duties as such.
d. A correctional officer, when the officer’s duties require, serving under the authority of
the Iowa department of corrections.
e. A person who for any lawful purpose carries an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
dangerous weapon inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which
is too large to be concealed on the person.
f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports an unloaded pistol or revolver
in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the
pistol or revolver will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common
carrier.

g. A person while the person is lawfully engaged in target practice on a range designed
for that purpose or while actually engaged in lawful hunting.
h. A person who carries a knife used in hunting or fishing, while actually engaged in lawful
hunting or fishing.
i. A person who has in the person’s possession and who displays to a peace officer on
demand a valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose
conduct is within the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of
this section if the person produces at the person’s trial a permit to carry weapons which was
valid at the time of the alleged offense and which would have brought the person’s conduct
within this exception if the permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense.
j. A law enforcement officer from another state when the officer’s duties require the officer
to carry the weapon and the officer is in this state for any of the following reasons:
(1) The extradition or other lawful removal of a prisoner from this state.
(2) Pursuit of a suspect in compliance with chapter 806.
(3) Activities in the capacity of a law enforcement officer with the knowledge and consent
of the chief of police of the city or the sheriff of the county in which the activities occur or of
the commissioner of public safety.
k. A person engaged in the business of transporting prisoners under a contract with the
Iowa department of corrections or a county sheriff, a similar agency from another state, or
the federal government.
[S13, §4775-1a, -3a, -4a, -7a, -11a; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, §12936 – 12939; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62,
66, 71, 73, 75, 77, §695.2 – 695.5; C79, 81, §724.4]
83 Acts, ch 7, §2; 83 Acts, ch 96, §123, 159; 87 Acts, ch 13, §5; 88 Acts, ch 1164, §4; 98 Acts,
ch 1131, §3

724.4A Weapons free zones — enhanced penalties.
1. As used in this section, “weapons free zone” means the area in or on, or within one
thousand feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary
school, or in or on the real property comprising a public park. A weapons free zone shall not
include that portion of a public park designated as a hunting area under section 461A.42.
2. Notwithstanding sections 902.9 and 903.1, a person who commits a public offense
involving a firearm or offensive weapon, within a weapons free zone, in violation of this
or any other chapter shall be subject to a fine of twice the maximum amount which may
otherwise be imposed for the public offense.
94 Acts, ch 1172, §53

724.4B Carrying weapons on school grounds — penalty — exceptions.
1. A person who goes armed with, carries, or transports a firearm of any kind, whether
concealed or not, on the grounds of a school commits a class “D” felony. For the purposes of
this section, “school” means a public or nonpublic school as defined in section 280.2.
2. Subsection 1 does not apply to the following:
a. A person listed under section 724.4, subsection 4, paragraphs “b” through “f” or “j”.

b. A person who has been specifically authorized by the school to go armed, carry,
or transport a firearm on the school grounds, including for purposes of conducting an
instructional program regarding firearms.
95 Acts, ch 191, §53

You're asking to be a test case if you get caught.

UI Continues Weapons Policy on Campus - UI Department of Public Safety - The University of Iowa

"UI Continues Weapons Policy on Campus

In response to the new gun laws in Iowa beginning on January 1, 2011, University of Iowa spokesperson Tom Moore said the University of Iowa can continue to claim an exemption from the new laws, which will allow the University to continue to prohibit guns on campus.

Posted by police | 30 December 2010 | Tags: weapons, guns"

Campus Security Act - UI Department of Public Safety - The University of Iowa

"Firearms

The Iowa Administrative Code prohibits faculty, staff, students, and visitors from possessing weapons on the University of Iowa campus. University of Iowa Police officers are armed and exceed the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy’s training requirements."

So on campus when seconds mean the difference between life and death, the campus police are only minutes away. I find the implication that the campus police are highly trained entertaining. I would be willing to bet money I fire more ammunition in a week of practice than they do in a year.

Hawkeye, Just curious why you would ask for help and and minutes later take a dump on another member trying to make a sale?
=> Link Removed

Hawkeye, Just curious why you would ask for help and and minutes later take a dump on another member trying to make a sale?
=> Link Removed

I was in no way "taking a dump" on anyone, like many things that people love, firearms do not hold their value as well as many people think and I was simply trying to provide options for the same firearm. Public sales are always subject to scrutiny. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back