Help please

19tinman67

I shot my Springfield XD40 today, at ten feet I'm shooting consistently low by 3 to 4 inches at the bullseye. Is it because I'm over compensating for the recoil? Thanks

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using USA Carry mobile app

Where are you holding the sights compared to the target? Are you putting the front sight in the center of the target or at the bottom (more like an icecream scoop)? Either is correct depending on the gun.

I'm putting the front sight in the center of the rear sights at a level position with the bullseye at the top of the sights.

The same thing "3-4 inches" was happening at 15 feet also.

On my XD40 I found that if my front and rear sights are leveled as you described than my front sight should be right on the center of the bullseye to hit the mark I'm shooting at not necessarily at the bottom as you described. I guess its a little different for each person based on the way you shoot. Hope this helps.

P.S. I had my gun sighted in at a gun smith prior to using it. I was told that the out of the box sighting was pretty darn close to being perfect (or as perfect as you could reasonably expect).

Sounds good, I'm a newbe to the pistol family, I've shot rifles and shotguns for last 30+ years and we always have sighted them in in this fashion, target on top of the sights. Next time I head to the range I will give it a try with covering the bullseye, but its going to be hard getting use to that type of shooting. Do you think changing out the sights to a trijicon hd night sight might help, seeing it has a better rear "u" cut in the rear sight?

You probably are right Bob, I will try and pay attention to that next time I get out. Thanks

Something an instructor taught me helped increase my accuracy a lot. Try to gently pull back on the grip with your trigger hand and push forward with your other hand. This will help you keep the gun "locked" into position. Also, make sure your arms are locked tight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back