Hearing Protection

davcommander

Like many shooters, I use the standard hearing muff style hearing protection. I have heard that electronic hearing muffs are better. So I am asking for advise/debate on this issue. Which type is better? If you believe that electronic is better, which brand/model to you recommend and why?

Have only used standard muffs that are good quality and never used the electronic ones. Just be sure to use something. Just a few days ago, it was hot and humid and took them off when switching rifles. It really sucked when I fired that first round with the second rifle without them on. My ears were ringing for 10-15 minutes.

I have both and like the electronic ones because you can converse with others and hear the range commands. If you talk too loudly, they will shut off, though. I'm still amazed at the speed with which they compress noise and I've had them for over a year. Can't remember the brand, but they were about $40 at Gander Mtn. They were a gift from my stepson.

I use Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs. They're comfortable, inexpensive and do a great job. The rifle area at my range is an old box car so sound really gets focused inside. I use foam plugs and these together then turn up the volume so I can hear most normal conversations just fine. Using both I can fire my .223/5.56 or my .06 with no problems at all. For pistols I just use the muffs by themselves and they're great.

Get 'em at Amazon, they're just over $40 Link Removed

I use Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs. They're comfortable, inexpensive and do a great job. The rifle area at my range is an old box car so sound really gets focused inside. I use foam plugs and these together then turn up the volume so I can hear most normal conversations just fine. Using both I can fire my .223/5.56 or my .06 with no problems at all. For pistols I just use the muffs by themselves and they're great.

Get 'em at Amazon, they're just over $40 Link Removed

The muffs and ear plugs are what I use. I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids and I want to save what I have left. A person does not know how hearing loss effects every day life until it happens, but most of the time it is a slow process and you do not realize it until it is too late. I don't believe that earmuffs are good enough as the noise reduction is only about 23 dcb, not enough in my opinion. The wife says I should have got hearing aids 51 years ago.

I use an electronic muff (Walker's Alphas) in conjunction with an insert in the ear. Since both sides of the muffs are controlled independently, I can turn up the ear that's furthest from a range officer. Also, since I have control of the volume, using the muffs in conjunction with insert ear protection, is much more protective.

side note: I wear the muffs when I'm hunting too. I have greater hearing in the woods to listen for deer, etc, but when my .30-06 goes off, I'm not ringing for 15 minutes.

The muffs were under $50

Have only used standard muffs that are good quality and never used the electronic ones. Just be sure to use something. Just a few days ago, it was hot and humid and took them off when switching rifles. It really sucked when I fired that first round with the second rifle without them on. My ears were ringing for 10-15 minutes.
After the CORPS & 30 years in an assembly plant, throw in loud concerts/ music, I now have tinnitus. Ringing in my ears is constant.
Whatever type you choose, use it everytime you shoot. If nothing else is available, stick a cigarette butt in each ear.

I have 4 sets of the electronic muffs and 2 sets of the standard.
2 Howard Leight
1 Walkers Game Ear GWP-AM360NXT Alpha Muffs 360 Headphones
1 Peltor

The Howard Leight allow for the use of a rifle without really getting in the way.
The Best are the Walkers for me. Great hearing with the 4 way microphones. and you can crank the mics up to 9X's normal. I can hear!
I don't like the Peltors but they work well for the kids when they use them.

I don't have a lot of money, in fact I have none. BUT, I like to invite new people to shooting to go to the range with me. They were an investment in safety.
Electronic muffs allow them to hear every word in a conversation and every command of the range masters.

Being able to hear is really important whenever weapons are involved. I can't imagine having to shout to my kids or rookie shooters to communicate.

Every one of the muffs work very well to eliminate the loud bangs and booms of the range.

Howard Leight -
Link Removed

Walker Game -
Link Removed

Peltor _
Link Removed

What? Did somebody say something? I didn't hear ya. Oh, ear protection? Never use it. (joke)

Find a style and type that suits you and get the highest NRR rating you can afford (and it's easy). NRR is Noise Reduction Rating. Higher is better.

While working my way through college as a roughneck in the oilfields I parked my camper in the middle of an valley and the only entertainment I had was shooting with my Walther P-38. This was so long ago that nobody I knew ever used hearing protection. At least the thought never even entered my mind. I remember one day after shooting most the day that my ears rang for a couple of months.

I now have poor hearing (duh) and have 4 ear muffs 1 of which is electronic but now I wear Sport Ear nearly all the time. They fit in my ear and are hardly noticeable, have 4 settings and offer great protection as well as enhanced hearing for a variety of situations. They even have a hunter setting so you can hear game approaching. The bad news is that I paid around $1,800 to $2,000 for them. I can't remember exactly how much. They have some for far less but I wanted the hearing aid feature as well. They are custom fit and digitally programmed specifically to fill in for my damaged hearing. ONly problem is identifying where sounds are coming from. That takes some getting used to.

I've shot without hearing protection between 1962 and 1986. After that it has always been with hearing protection. Work on a good day was ear muffs only. On a bad day it was ear plugs and earmuffs. 108 to 123Db continuous trains you not to forget them. Haven't tried the electronic ones yet.

Electronic muffs are for conversation, they do nothing to protect your hearing beyond standard ear muffs.

Most of the electronic are rated at 20 - 25 db. I prefer to use my 30db Peltor, to protect what hearing I have left (living and working aboard an aircraft carrier, then 30 years of driving firetrucks)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back