HB 2317 and SB 1363

hitchhikeroftx

I'm currently a resident of VA, but my perminant duty station is in MD, address is DC. So as it stands, with my driver's license still in TX, I cannot purchase in VA (Even though I have a VA Residency CCW). With the changes that are being presented in VA HB 2317 and SB 1363, I'm curious as to what that means for my eligibility to purchase firearms after it is passed. One explanation that I have seen is that anyone that has a permanent duty station within VA but lives in a neighboring state, will be allowed to purchase, but I haven't seen anything that says if you commute form VA to a neighboring state will be able to purchase. Any thoughts?

The easiest way if you reside in Va would be to get a Va DL. You can still claim TX as your Home of record and state of legal residence.

Funny, for some reason I always thought that changing my license over to VA would put me in a wirlwind of problems when it came time to do taxes, but reading your reply plainly written out, I'm not sure why I thought there would be a hassle. Thank you for the reply.

I dunno maybe its me. I see it all as infringement. I can see states having different rules about taxes and such but they are still part and parcel of the United States of America. The current assault on the Second Amendment is not about guns, it is about all inalienable rights.
Suppose I live in state "A". Now when I go to state "B" they have a law that says I am only allowed to worship at a Seventh Day Adventist Church. If I don't like it, leave the state. So I go to State "C" they tell me that the police have the right to enter my house and search for anything that may be contraband at anytime without knocking on the door. If I don't like it don't come to the state. So I go to state "D" they tell me that they don't give a crap about anything the Supreme Court has said in the past, the majority of the population in that state is non white, and white people must ride all public transportation standing up.
What has happened to the Bill of Rights? What is next setting up inspection stations between states?

I'm currently a resident of VA, but my perminant duty station is in MD, address is DC. So as it stands, with my driver's license still in TX, I cannot purchase in VA (Even though I have a VA Residency CCW). With the changes that are being presented in VA HB 2317 and SB 1363, I'm curious as to what that means for my eligibility to purchase firearms after it is passed. One explanation that I have seen is that anyone that has a permanent duty station within VA but lives in a neighboring state, will be allowed to purchase, but I haven't seen anything that says if you commute form VA to a neighboring state will be able to purchase. Any thoughts?

If you are a VA resident, then you can purchase in VA. Where your stationed means nothing. The only time that makes a difference is if you were from out of state then for firearms purchase you are considered a VA resident if you can back it up with orders. But having a resident CHP doesn't make you a resident. Having a VA drivers lic does.

I am a dealer on a military base in the HR area. If you have your PCS orders to a base in VA, and something with your address on it, issued to you by a government entity ( CCW, Vehicle registration etc, not bills / leases) you can get a weapon from my counter as it stands now. From my reading of this law I am trying to get my management to drop the proof of VA address requirement.

You can get a VA driver's license to reduce complciation, but

****AS OF 1 JULY 2013 YOU CAN NOW BUY IN VIRGINIA****

with your orders and something that shows your VA address. Does TX put your local address on your license? If not, I recommend you call before you go to buy to confirm what the FFL holder will accept, but probably: orders, CAC, other picture ID (DL or passport), and mortgage statement/gas bill/similar.

Sorry I'm just now getting back with a reply.

I'm glad to see a dealer read this new wording the same as I have.

I'm perminant resident of TX, orders to DC, living (which includes a mortgage) in VA. So I was very interested to hear interpretations from a dealer. It seems that after the first, Quantico Tatical is still playing it on the cautious side of things as far as selling. This was shortly after the change, so I'm wondering if there is still some hashing out of the law, or it this was a fluke.

Sorry for the late reply.

Seems that there are still some hesitation at Quantico. I will try again probably at another place and will call before hand. Thanks for the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back