Have Massachusetts License to Carry Permit then moved to Missouri. Can I carry?

B A Booracus

Hello,

I lived in Massachusetts for about 5 years and received my License to Carry (LTC) about 3 months before I got a job in Missouri.

Now I am a resident of Missouri.

Can I use my Massachusetts LTC now that I live in Missouri?

According to the Link Removed your permit will be recognized in Missouri, but probably only for a limited time. You'll DEFINITELY need to get a resident license soon. Check state laws.

Legal in Missouri?

B A Booracus,
From what I've read at this site < http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf > Massachusetts does allow non-residents to apply, even though you were a resident when you got yours, you'd still need to let them know so they could amend your LTC. As far as Missouri is concerned, you can carry on your Mass. LTC as a resident of Mass. Getting your permit (CCW in MO) is an easy process, but you'll probably have to retake your class. Go to your Sheriff's office in the county that you are living in and explain to them your situation. They will work with you, and Missouri is a MUST ISSUE state. Denials can only be for cause and must be provided to you by letter and you can appeal if denied.
Welcome to Missouri (I am from Missouri and live in the Ozark Foothills in Carter County)! This is a great state and is friendly to firearms owners.

~John

Once you moved to Missouri and became a resident there, your Massachusetts resident license became void. If you want to keep a Massachusetts non-resident license you must re-apply. Massachusetts non-resident licenses are only good for one year, and you must appear personally at the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea each time you apply or re-apply.

Get your MO CCW. Even though MO honors any state's permit, you're not protected from the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act unless you have that particular state's permit. 1000 feet is a long distance, you never know where all schools are unless you did intensive research.

Last edited by a moderator:
AND, as a holder of a MO resident permit, you have the most recognized permit in the US, 37 states and waiting on Wisconsin.

B A Booracus,
From what I've read at this site < http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf > Massachusetts does allow non-residents to apply, even though you were a resident when you got yours, you'd still need to let them know so they could amend your LTC. As far as Missouri is concerned, you can carry on your Mass. LTC as a resident of Mass. Getting your permit (CCW in MO) is an easy process, but you'll probably have to retake your class. Go to your Sheriff's office in the county that you are living in and explain to them your situation. They will work with you, and Missouri is a MUST ISSUE state. Denials can only be for cause and must be provided to you by letter and you can appeal if denied.
Welcome to Missouri (I am from Missouri and live in the Ozark Foothills in Carter County)! This is a great state and is friendly to firearms owners.

~John

I don't know about that. I don't see anything in the MO Link Removed that sets a time frame for the class.

Once you moved to Missouri and became a resident there, your Massachusetts resident license became void. If you want to keep a Massachusetts non-resident license you must re-apply. Massachusetts non-resident licenses are only good for one year, and you must appear personally at the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea each time you apply or re-apply.

Why? The license is good until it expires. When/If he renews he will only be able to get the 1 yr license...but I don't see where the current one gets voided.

Questions to look into:

1. Is your Mass. permit still valid (based on Mass. law), even though you have offically changed your state of residence?

2. If your Mass. permit is still valid, then yes you may conceal carry in Missouri as we recognize all permits.

3. To apply for a Missouri permit you must take the training first. Does not matter how much training you had in the past, if you did not have the Missouri training, then you must take it before applying for a Missouri permit. (The reason the Missouri Training is necessary is that we cover the Missouri Weaopns (RSMo 571) and Defense of Justification (RSMo. 563) laws in our training courses. You did not receive that specific training in Mass.

4. In the mean time there are three things you can do until receiving a Missouri permit (if your Mass. permit is not valid):

a. Car carry is legal in Missouri without a permit. You cannot conceal the firearm on you while out of the car.

b. Apply for a OSS permit (i.e. Florida)

c. Open Carry is legal in Missouri, but (don't you hate those but's) Missouri does not have pre-emption, meaning any town can have an ordinence against Open Carry, so you have to be careful where you open carry.

Hope this helps you and welcome to Missouri.

3. To apply for a Missouri permit you must take the training first. Does not matter how much training you had in the past, if you did not have the Missouri training, then you must take it before applying for a Missouri permit. (The reason the Missouri Training is necessary is that we cover the Missouri Weaopns (RSMo 571) and Defense of Justification (RSMo. 563) laws in our training courses. You did not receive that specific training in Mass.

That's not how I read the law.

Firearms training requirements--safety instructor requirements--penalty for violations.

571.111. 1. An applicant for a concealed carry endorsement shall demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety training. This requirement shall be fully satisfied if the applicant for a concealed carry endorsement:

(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate that shows the applicant completed a firearms safety course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

Doesn't say MUST be done in MO.

Missour Statute Requirements...

This is taken from the Missouri Revised Statutes:

2. A certificate of firearms safety training course completion may be issued to any applicant by any qualified firearms safety instructor. On the certificate of course completion the qualified firearms safety instructor shall affirm that the individual receiving instruction has taken and passed a firearms safety course of at least eight hours in length taught by the instructor that included:

(1) Handgun safety in the classroom, at home, on the firing range and while carrying the firearm;

(2) A physical demonstration performed by the applicant that demonstrated his or her ability to safely load and unload a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol and demonstrated his or her marksmanship with both;

(3) The basic principles of marksmanship;

(4) Care and cleaning of concealable firearms;

(5) Safe storage of firearms at home;

(6) The requirements of this state for obtaining a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement from the sheriff of the individual's county of residence and a concealed carry endorsement issued by the department of revenue;

(7) The laws relating to firearms as prescribed in this chapter;

(8) The laws relating to the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563;

(9) A live firing exercise of sufficient duration for each applicant to fire a handgun, from a standing position or its equivalent, a minimum of fifty rounds at a distance of seven yards from a B-27 silhouette target or an equivalent target;

(10) A live fire test administered to the applicant while the instructor was present of twenty rounds from a standing position or its equivalent at a distance from a B-27 silhouette target, or an equivalent target, of seven yards.
=============================
You cannot get "compliance" with subsection (8) to Missouri Revised Statutes from a class in MA! He MAY not have to retake the class, that is why he should go to the local Sheriff's Office to ensure that he is compliant with the law. It is only prudent for him to do so.

As I said in my PM to you, "In MY opinion, we should not have to ask the permission of any government (local, state or federal) in order to exercise our GOD GIVEN right to Keep and Bear Arms." But until we have "Proven" that through a Supreme Court Case, we still have to comply with the law as it is being enforced.

~John

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back